HAIF Demo Poll

Pumapayam

Pick a Houston landmark.  

103 members have voted

1. 1. If you could save ONLY one from demolition.

• River Oaks Theatre
    • Williams Waterwall

I'd like to believe that I know the Houston area pretty well. I did not know about the Menil existance until today. I think the common Houstonian would know about the waterwall, rather than someone knowing about the Menil.

Between this thread and the suburban thread, I'd suggest that you know neither Houston nor the common Houstonian very well.

Just my opinion.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Between this thread and the suburban thread, I'd suggest that you know neither Houston nor the common Houstonian very well.

Just my opinion.

Among the definitions of 'common':

Vulgar; unrefined; coarse

(which would explain why the common Houstonian wouldn't know about a museum.) :D

Among the definitions of 'common':

Vulgar; unrefined; coarse

(which would explain why the common Houstonian wouldn't know about a museum.) :D

In that case, I'd have to retract my statement. Puma would probably be VERY familiar with the common Houstonian.

LOL, OK...how about this. If they were to demo the Menil and remove it completely as a museum (disperse its contents), I have a hard time believing the waterwall would win. If that were the case, then screw the uncultured masses :) Please, no poll, though

Icon or not, I can think of a list of 10 things I would prefer stay over the waterwall - how about the 10 tallest buildings in Houston? Reliant stadium, minute maid park, the astrodome? Anything over 100 years old? How worthy is it really of "icon" status?

Reliant Stadium? What's so unique or even interesting about that. It's a ball park and not a particularly interesting one.

Reliant Stadium? What's so unique or even interesting about that. It's a ball park and not a particularly interesting one.

I was just rambling off a list...probably could have done a better job! It's impressive in some ways to me, but agreed it's not particularly unique these days

The basic museums, especially ones I was exposed to as a kid growing up where the Natural Science, Fine Arts, Comtemporary, and Childrens museums.

I think that is why something like the Menil was under the radar for me, and really shows that some of the more niche museums are not as known to the common Houstonian. Same could apply to the River Oaks Theatre, which is likely why it is marginally down in the polls as of today (22:26), but the close margin is likely because of the HAIF community, it would be an even larger margin outside of HAIF I bet.

It has enough notability, but not as much as the waterwall.

I think that is why something like the Menil was under the radar for me, and really shows that some of the more niche museums are not as known to the common Houstonian.
LOL, it's known to the common Earthling. I've taken 3 groups of russians and 1 group of italians there in the past, at their request.

I think that is why something like the Menil was under the radar for me, and really shows that some of the more niche museums are not as known to the common Houstonian. Same could apply to the River Oaks Theatre, which is likely why it is marginally down in the polls as of today (22:26), but the close margin is likely because of the HAIF community, it would be an even larger margin outside of HAIF I bet.

It has enough notability, but not as much as the waterwall.

I think the only one could make this assumption is to be a common suburban dwelling Houstonian that considers the local AMC a trip to "town". That would also be why you don't know any of the downtown bars or landmarks associated within the actual city. Waterwall is a place many highschool kids from outside of the loop go to for pictures, besides that, it is just a place for people to smoke who are in the Williams Tower. It is FAR FAR FAR FAR beyond a nationally recognized icon or landmark like the Menil. And you keep saying Houston doesn't have that much to offer has landmarks... it does. Read Cite, or the COA or RDA papers. There is soooo much inside Houston.

I mean no offense but all of your previous comments have done nothing but make the assumption that you are not credited to comment on Houston Landmarks... or any landmarks, that much more concrete. You really need to check out Out Town Cool City and find out how cool the city you live in, or close to, is. There is so much more than the Waterwall.

I mean no offense but all of your previous comments have done nothing but make the assumption that you are not credited to comment on Houston Landmarks... or any landmarks, that much more concrete. You really need to check out Out Town Cool City and find out how cool the city you live in, or close to, is. There is so much more than the Waterwall.

Your message it welcomed and noted.

I think the basis of my defense was that some people thought the waterwall was less valuable than it really is. Even though it does not have the history of the River Oaks Theatre or the design scheme of the Menil, it is special, and special enough that it is important to the Houston landscape.

And again, the poll results so far on HAIF is clear, the waterwall does have something special about it.

I'm tired of this topic, aren't you?

If the question is directed towards me, no. It would be nice to see if we can at least get a 100 votes and really see what the HAIFers think. Right now, I am right with my assumption.

There are a ton of other topics to keep your interest man. Thanx for the topic bump though. Night B) .

Stupid Topic Puma. Your just mad someone called you out when you said the Water Wall was more "Historical" then the River Oaks Theater. :P;)

Call it what you want, looks like a healthy 10% margin though.

I think it has to do with which has more usefulness to a greater number of people. River Oaks is a niche market. The waterfall is more egalitarian.

Fountains aren't known for usefulness. A backdrop for high school prom photos?

I'm going to admit this is a silly argument - some of us have no interest in the waterwall, and some don't care about River Oaks Theatre. This thread could go on forever...at least Puma knows about the Menil now

I also think if River Oaks Theatre was in uptown, this poll wouldn't even exist :)

I'm going to admit this is a silly argument - some of us have no interest in the waterwall, and some don't care about River Oaks Theatre. This thread could go on forever...at least Puma knows about the Menil now

I also think if River Oaks Theatre was in uptown, this poll wouldn't even exist :)

Agreed. I also think times change and opinions of what was once very important (Menil, Rothko Chapel) do change.

I mean, at one point the Astrodome and Ship Channel were hotly contested places of interest.

Agreed. I also think times change and opinions of what was once very important (Menil, Rothko Chapel) do change.

Bad examples. They are still very important.

I mean, at one point the Astrodome and Ship Channel were hotly contested places of interest.

More bad examples.

River Oaks Theatre is not located in a depressed area, and actually resides in a zip code where the residents experience above average income levels.

Even if they're not useful or people haven't visited, I think they still like to know they are there. I can't remember specifics, but I know I've visited differenct cities with prominent places and I was shocked to learn my local friends had never been. They were major tourist attractions, yet the locals had never been. Doesn't negate the pride the city's residents take in it.

I think the fact one is free (waterwall) to visit and the other places are paid admission (River Oaks Theatre, Menil?)probably helps its overall penetration and accessibility too.

River Oaks Theatre is not located in a depressed area, and actually resides in a zip code where the residents experience above average income levels.

I think his point was that if the RO theater was in Uptown, then you would live near it and therefore love it and therefore wouldn't have started this poll.

I think his point was that if the RO theater was in Uptown, then you would live near it and therefore love it and therefore wouldn't have started this poll.

I actually do appreciate both, but this thread/poll was created only as a response to Subdude's comment.

I would be hard pressed to argue that the waterwall is more "historic" than the shopping center.

Implying that it's OK to demolish the oldest extant theater in the city because it is only used by "fanboys" to see "artsy" movies is about as shallow as it gets. Don't worry, there will always be plenty of multiplexes with stadium seating catering to people who think like that.

Or maybe the River Oaks should just start showing more Jim Carrey comedies, or Bruce Willis action flix. You know, real crowd pleasing movies, not that "artsy" stuff. Then it might be worth saving.

Historical or not, he challenged that the theatre is more valuable to Houston than the waterwall. I proved him wrong, the waterwall is as equally important, and really marginally more so based on the poll results. Again, I am not advocating to demo the theatre, but if the choice had to be made, the waterwall would be my passion to save, and many others.

There is nothing wrong with admitting that Houston loves both the waterwall and the River Oaks Theatre, is just that people love the waterwall more! :P

Yes, indeed...

the waterwall would be my passion to save, and many others.

I must say, I am amazed by your passion for this fountain. I doubt you'd see a 17 page thread about its demolition, however. Regardless, we're not going to have any converts here... I'm banishing myself from this thread; that is, unless I come back with some new aliases to vote for the RO Theatre. BWAHAHAHA!!!!

I actually do appreciate both, but this thread/poll was created only as a response to Subdude's comment.

Historical or not, he challenged that the theatre is more valuable to Houston than the waterwall.

Gaaahhhhhh! For the love of the baby jeebus, the word is historic, not historical!!!!

I will look past all of the other ESL-ishness, because you love the waterwall so much. But I'm begging you to stop with 'historical.'

Let's just keep 'em both ... and demo something REALLY worthwhile ... like the Astrodome!

No sweating it man, totally understand the response, but it is just a way for me to prove a point about certain types of Houston historical historic icons are important to people.

I also would prefer to keep both, this poll could essentially be "Which landmark is better?" or something to that tune.

BTW, Astrodome is staying put. . . until it is structurally unsound.

Archived