HAIF Demo Poll

Pumapayam

Pick a Houston landmark.  

103 members have voted

1. 1. If you could save ONLY one from demolition.

• River Oaks Theatre
    • Williams Waterwall

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the fact one is free (waterwall) to visit and the other places are paid admission (River Oaks Theatre, Menil?)probably helps its overall penetration and accessibility too.

Good God, the Menil is FREE.

Turn off the internet and go there! Renzo Piano's design of the main exhibit and Cy Twombly Gallery is stunning. It's a perfect setting to see a private collection of art. The art is wonderful too. Matisse, Dali, Matta, and Picasso are just a few of the names you'll see close-up. There's also a permanent Flavin exhibit in the Richmond Hall. Rothko Chapel and the Byzantine Fresco Chapel are nice too.

Houston has a jewel. The entire Menil Collection is pretty darn amazing. You really should treat yourself and go.

As for the River Oaks, there is even more reason to keep it now that the Greenway has closed. While art + foreign films might seem like the realm of the elite; they shouldn't be. It costs no more to see a film there than any cineplex in town. Plus, they do some great stuff too like classic runs and midnight shows. Expand your mind and try it.

I had a hard enough time finding 10 Houston icons more significant than the waterwall. I could not even complete that.

And when we say demo, it means demo, not relocate. If the fountain were relocated it would not be as big of an issue, but I am sure people would rather it see intact in the same location. It is a significant Houston icon. A landmark worthy of keeping.

I mention the Menil building only because the real reason people go to that location is for the contents, but than does not make it a landmark. The unique roof design is architecturally interesting, but not landmark worthy.

I seem to repeat myself a lot.

Hmm, the Menil shows up on every list of the top Renzo creations worldwide. A lot of Houston architects (and the A in HAIF is a key here) and Houston art lovers are very proud that this building resides in Houston. There are about 50 other reasons it's landmark worthy, but I'm not sure you would appreciate them.

• 1 month later...
Hmm, the Menil shows up on every list of the top Renzo creations worldwide. A lot of Houston architects (and the A in HAIF is a key here) and Houston art lovers are very proud that this building resides in Houston. There are about 50 other reasons it's landmark worthy, but I'm not sure you would appreciate them.

OT, I did check out the Menil, the building itself part is still just okay, but I agree, it is 100% worth keeping.

The error of my ways.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I think we need to sit (or stand) and think which item has MORE historical significance. Which one is admired more architecturally? I think demolishing either one would be a mistake, but as well all know it comes down to the dollar bill.

What a change a few months makes, it seems the polls have shifted from a high margin in favor of the waterwall to almost dead even with a 37/39 split. :unsure:

• 1 year later...

Lose the waterwall, no contest. I've lived here 15 years been through that area 100s of times and never once thought to get out and spend any time at it. It's in the middle of a sea of sidewalkless streets and invariably I'm being swept along in those streets in my car desperately focusing on not getting in an accident.

• 7 months later...

Lose the waterwall, no contest. I've lived here 15 years been through that area 100s of times and never once thought to get out and spend any time at it. It's in the middle of a sea of sidewalkless streets and invariably I'm being swept along in those streets in my car desperately focusing on not getting in an accident.

See if you can find a good parking lot near the waterwall and/or a good garage. With the internet one could try to put planning into getting to the Waterwall.

• 3 months later...

I like the waterfall. It is very pretty. It seems more landmarkish to me. I have always liked it. I find it to be one of my favorite places in Houston. I also like the look of the theater (I used to go there for RHPC back when I was a part of the cast in '98-'99). As far as a place to go I don't care for it. It seems to me that most of the shows are art and indie films and that is not really my cup of tea. It is a important landmark though. It was a tough decision, but I picked the waterfall in the end. The theater is great, but all towns have a historical theater (though ROT is one of the few that is still a theater and it has been a movie theater for a long time as well). The waterfall is a bit more unique. Really both would be terrible. Here is my ten (no real order just as they pop into my head): The Alabama Theater (sad and empty as it is), The waterfall, the odd white statue downtown (near the library), The Beer-Can house, the statue of the violinist out side of the Worthem (or is it more Jones hall), GRB, the Galleria, the zoo, the science museum and NASA. I would also count the DT skyline as a landmark, because it is always shown and so well known. Also if I had to pick between the River Oaks and the Alabama I would pick the Alabama strait up for looks and style. Lastly I love Puma's pic of the waterfall. Currently the vote is 46/52 (ROT).

• 2 months later...

What a change a few months makes, it seems the polls have shifted from a high margin in favor of the waterwall to almost dead even with a 37/39 split. unsure.gif

And just to update and bump an old thread, 3 years later, the Water Wall has fallen out of favor, and has seen been converted to a public park.

With a new split of 52/46, in favor of the River Oaks Theatre, it seems that I was wrong. *sigh* :unsure:

This is a funny comment as every street around the water wall is fully sidewalked. Admittedly - some are torn up right now as the Uptown district is in the process of adding their fancy lighting system to the sidewalks, and the sidewalk is torn up across Post Oak from the Waterwall - but that is due to the new building being constructed. There are actually a surprising number of people wandering along those ribbons of concrete that line the sidewalkess streets around the Galleria and Williams Tower.

It would be nice to see if we can at least get a 100 votes and really see what the HAIFers think. Right now, I am right with my assumption.

And this week almost 4 years later, we finally hit 100 votes, with 2 more added to the Water Wall this week.

52 for River Oaks Theatre and 48 for Water Wall.

I guess that means it's neutral really, with a slight advantage to the theatre.

Close votes.

• The title was changed to HAIF Demo Poll

Archived