George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

Anybody see the piece KPRC had on last night about the new international terminal? Sounds like Diaz is in hot water with the Mayor. So far $84 million has been spent on the project and there's almost nothing to show for it. When the project was announced back in 2014, the terminal was to cost $700-$900 million. Then it went to $1.2 billion and then ballooned to $1.7 billion. The mayor says the costs have since been brought back down to $1.2 billion but there's still almost nothing to show for the money spent so far. They can't even decide on a design from the architects. Finally, the big body gates, including ones able to handle the A380, have been scaled back from 15 to 13. 

Those are some of the highlights but it was a good story. Part 2 of it will air tonight.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/after-4-years-renovation-project-is-over-budget-with-nothing-built-at-iah

Edited by wxman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Does anyone know how many daily passengers are projected to use the new international terminal?

I don't think I've ever seen that particular projection.  The IAH Master Plan 2035 forecast says 13.55 million international enplanements (so presumably about 27 Million total international). Of course that includes United, which, at least currently, uses Terminal E for its international arrivals.

In the most recent Fiscal Year, Terminal D handled about 2.8 Million international passengers (out of about 10.4 Million total international passengers).  If we assume the same percentage (27%) of international traffic being handled by the new Terminal D, that would be about 7.3 Million annually using the new Terminal D . . .  20,000 per day?

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 5:28 AM, wxman said:

Seems like its been a while since we've had a new flag announced at IAH. I don't think we had a single one in 2018. Anybody know of any new flags in the works for this year?

Air India, Philippine Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines have expressed interests in flying to IAH. Problem is, they've said that a while back and we haven't gotten any news of it since then.

Edited by Some one

On 1/24/2019 at 8:49 PM, Some one said:

Air India,

Air India, Philippine Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines have expressed interests in flying to IAH. Problem is, they've said that a while back and we haven't gotten any news of it since then.

Ask and you shall receive. Ethiopian announces 3 x weekly to Houston:

http://m.digitaljournal.com/pr/4127682

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 3:23 PM, Houston19514 said:

I don't think I've ever seen that particular projection.  The IAH Master Plan 2035 forecast says 13.55 million international enplanements (so presumably about 27 Million total international). Of course that includes United, which, at least currently, uses Terminal E for its international arrivals.

In the most recent Fiscal Year, Terminal D handled about 2.8 Million international passengers (out of about 10.4 Million total international passengers).  If we assume the same percentage (27%) of international traffic being handled by the new Terminal D, that would be about 7.3 Million annually using the new Terminal D . . .  20,000 per day?

I think the better question is why do you ask? Building a new terminal is not going to increase demand overnight. Are you asking for the new Terminal D’s design capacity?

On 11/6/2018 at 12:16 PM, Houston19514 said:

Do you have a source for that information?  It seems highly likely that if there was any such case to be made, American (and other airlines) would be aggressively making it. (Airport lease terms and federal regulations address these sorts of things.)

Go to 

https://www.fly2houston.com/newsroom/media-kit/traffic-and-statistics/

Divide AA’s passenger traffic on A by the number of gates they lease (I think 5, but maybe 6). Do the same with UA and the gates they lease (4, I believe ... you don’t have to include the A icehouse). Granted, utilization has gone up with the rebanking of schedules, but all of the real capacity on Terminal A is on the UA gates for how they’re utilized at least ... everyone of those gates can accommodate a standard narrow body aircraft (A320/737) with twice the passenger capacity of the aircraft they’re currently accommodating. The terminal itself is very imbalanced between the south and north side because of UA’s underutilization and DL’s much lower gauge. The AA gates are pretty intensively utilized and you can be guaranteed they’d lease 2 more gates if it were a real option and didn’t require splitting their operation ... and most importantly the simple fact that AA, DL, and UA don’t pick fights at each other’s hubs since the last round of mergers for very salient reasons. (If you are really concerned about utilization, calculate the same ratio for Spirit and say with a straight face that UA isn’t squatting on gates. That said, it’s nothing new and is the case at any major connecting hub as the marginal cost of leasing the gates is de minimis compared with the revenue implications of allowing a competitor to build a real foothold.)

The federal regulations you refer to are absolutely toothless, although maybe there will be some real challenges in the industry soon thanks to Spirit, Frontier, and JetBlue. It’s a long time overdue. Airport lease terms? Well I suggest you read the HAS leases and tell me exactly what you’re getting at there.

You’re also wrong about the A icehouse, that was completely done by CO and was a long-term exclusive lease. Certainly not at the request of HAS. If it was packaged with leases on other gates that was purely for disingenuous optics (but if so Exhibit A that they worked). Not sure the lease is exclusive anymore as I know AA has used it regularly enough before for the early morning LAX flight (but I don’t think they do anymore). That said AA could very well have paid UA and not HAS directly for access to that gate. 

The B and C leases are a different matter. But UA is paying full freight for those facilities as well, which is more than you can say for the hub airline at many other large connecting hubs. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 3:08 PM, KinkaidAlum said:

Ethiopian is loaded in the system. Looks to start with 3 times per week in early July but quickly moving to 4 times a week using a 788 with a IAH-LFW-ADD routing. Departures from IAH will be 1-4-6-7.

What does 1-4-6-7 mean? 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 7:44 AM, wxman said:

ET = Ethiopian? I noticed it was removed from wikipedia a few weeks ago. Sad. IAH has been in a real drought lately getting new flags here. What's the deal?

No low hanging fruit. 

Airfares are very low, so there has to be high biz class demand, and a lot of that from Houston is very localized due to O&G only going certain places. 

You'd think we could see UA start IAH-HKG on a 789, but UA won't even bring back IAH-CDG which supposedly has a way bigger market.

• Like 1

Apparently Ethiopian will begin service to IAH in December with twice weekly service. ET flies a lot of 738max on long-thin routes and with that plane grounded they had to rework their current schedule which put expansion on hold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

No, They plan of using a 787-800. However, do to the grounding of the 737-800 Max they've had to use widebodies on routes they used to fly with the narrow body.

I know this is ultra trivial, but it's just 787-8, not -800.

Like mini nails on a chalkboard for me (for no real reason).

Also, I want to fly on that Ethiopian flight REAL BAD

Edited by wilcal

• 3 months later...

elnina999 has added a photo to the pool:

Harmony in the Air, George Bush Airport Houston, TX

Harmony in the Air, the Houston Airports Performing Arts Program, officially launched in 2015, and the passenger response has been overwhelmingly positive and uplifting.
The program was created to make the passengers happy, and provides a pleasant airport experience with live music performances that include a diverse repertoire of classical, jazz, pop, and international genres.
Performances take place in Terminal A, Northside Atrium, and in Terminal D, near gate D8.

View the full article

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, wxman said:

They mention that they want to attract new airlines and destinations. Anybody have any idea which destinations or airlines are at the top of the list?

Some of the more recent rumors include Air India to Delhi, TAP to Lisbon, and China Eastern (I think?) to Shanghai. I would imagine at some point in the future we would get Seoul service again from one of the Korean airlines, and maybe one of the other European Star Alliance partners like Austrian Airlines to Vienna, Swiss to Zurich, or Brussels Airlines to... Brussels.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...