George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

• 3 weeks later...

United Airlines and COH will tear down north side of Terminal C to expand the International Terminal D.  United will build a new north side terminal near the Marriott Hotel.  No word of tearing down north Terminal B for mainline flights.  United needs more gates for the 787 with 50 more planes coming.  It will start 2Q this year.  Terminal D needs more space for more wide bodies.  

• 1 month later...

According to HAS spokesman speaking at February 17 IAH Master Planning meeting, United will start work next month on the new Terminal C North concourse (in between the current C North and current B North).   This is the first step in the plan for redevelopment of Terminal D.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4

According to HAS spokesman speaking at February 17 IAH Master Planning meeting, United will start work next month on the new Terminal C North concourse (in between the current C North and current B North).   This is the first step in the plan for redevelopment of Terminal D.

Here is the link to the presentation for the meeting:

http://system.gocampaign.com/netisd_org/images/imagelibrary/620/74/9096/532533-IAH%20Public%20Meeting%20Feb%202015%20FINAL_R.pdf

Edited by urban909
  • Like 3

Based on the 2035 master plan development link posted in the terminal D thread, it looks like they aren't planning on doing terminal B north for at least 10 years (the 2025-2035 slide). Appears to be the opposite of what was discussed a few posts above this where United would build out B north first, then C north, then D... instead C north will happen first, then D, and eventually terminal B north somewhere down the line. And it won't connect to terminal A until after 2035 when A is eventually redone.

http://system.gocampaign.com/netisd_org/images/imagelibrary/620/74/9096/532533-IAH%20Public%20Meeting%20Feb%202015%20FINAL_R.pdf

Based on the 2035 master plan development link posted in the terminal D thread, it looks like they aren't planning on doing terminal B north for at least 10 years (the 2025-2035 slide). Appears to be the opposite of what was discussed a few posts above this where United would build out B north first, then C north, then D... instead C north will happen first, then D, and eventually terminal B north somewhere down the line. And it won't connect to terminal A until after 2035 when A is eventually redone.

The discussion above said that Step 1 is for United to build the first of the Terminal B North concourses (not "build out" Terminal B North). The referenced concourse is referred to as Terminal C North concourse in the latest HAS documents. The earlier project descriptions discussed this new concourse as being part of Terminal B.   What is being built first has not changed or been reversed.  Only the name of the concourse has been changed.  The discussion above never addressed the timing of the "build out" of the remainder of Terminal B North.

Ah ok, I guess I misunderstood and thought that you were referring to the "build out" of Terminal B. Or at least had led to believe by earlier posts/United that this would be happening this decade, as opposed to 10+ years in the future. Oh well.

Ah ok, I guess I misunderstood and thought that you were referring to the "build out" of Terminal B. Or at least had led to believe by earlier posts/United that this would be happening this decade, as opposed to 10+ years in the future. Oh well.

Pretty much impossible to predict what United might do, especially under its current leadership.

• Like 1

Wow, IAH is going to be a gigantic airport beyond 2035 with the addition of 2 runways as well as a significantly larger terminals A, B, C, D and possibly E. That said, will Houston ever be a two-hub city like LAX or ORD? I would love to see Delta move in but the proximity to ATL, I doubt that would ever happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, IAH is going to be a gigantic airport beyond 2035 with the addition of 2 runways as well as a significantly larger terminals A, B, C, D and possibly E. That said, will Houston ever be a two-hub city like LAX or ORD? I would love to see Delta move in but the proximity to ATL, I doubt that would ever happen.

Houston will never be a two hub city with its proximity to Dallas. As Texas grows and with the prospect of a Dallas to Houston bullet train, the economies of the two will become more and more intertwined. Eventually the two airports will have to be connected by high speed trains that could be incorporated w/ flights. 

Houston is already (well is about to be) a one and a half hub city in that SWA is going to fly internationally out of Hobby. That will funnel SWA flyers through Houston on to international destinations. It's as close to a traditional hub set-up within SWA's no hub framework.

It looks like HAS has abandoned the parallel concourse model (a la Atlanta and Denver) from the old master plan in favor of two mega north and south concourses. I think this is far more practicable and should permit continued growth at IAH.

I actually disagree. I think the parallel model is far better. It's way more efficient, and allows for better flow of traffic, better subdivision of concourses, airlines, and destinations, and is better understood by those who will use the airport. Probably the most model of this I have seen is in London Heathrow. They are on a massive master plan that is converting the majority of the airport to this model.

It looks like HAS has abandoned the parallel concourse model (a la Atlanta and Denver) from the old master plan in favor of two mega north and south concourses. I think this is far more practicable and should permit continued growth at IAH.

Do you have a press release or any links that we can read further?

I also think the parallel layout is far more efficient than what IAH has now. And whoever thought it was a good idea to put the plane-train people mover thingy up above was not thinking clearly. I've rarely seen that thing half full and it's difficult to access. For giggles one day I decided to ride it from terminal A to D. I never made it. I couldn't even find that damn thing. I think they should have just renovated the train downstairs. I think most people expect the train to be down below anyway like it is at most airports (Atlanta, Denver, ect)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like perhaps a new rendering of Terminal D? Also, I wonder if they see more foreign flag carriers on the horizon? Perhaps a direct flight to Johannesburg?

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/Airport-chief-sees-Houston-growing-as-6153583.php?cmpid=btfpm

March 24--Houston's thriving immigrant community and diverse economy will help the city's airports continue to expand despite an oil slump that may temper the boom in business travel, Houston Airport System Director Mario Diaz told business leaders Monday.

Delivering the annual State of the Airports address, Diaz said he remains confident the airport system's unprecedented growth over the last two years would continue, with Bush Intercontinental, Hobby and Ellington airports all poised for major changes.

"Houston is without a doubt the most diverse city in the nation, and the Houston Airport System has made that possible," Diaz told a crowd at the Royal Sonesta. "We will continue to connect Houston to the rest of the world."

Houston's airports set a record in 2014 with more than 53 million passengers passing through. Internationally, 9.8 million travelers went through Bush, double the rate in 2000. Last year alone, travel to Asia and Africa increased 55 percent, and travel to Europe increased 10 percent.

This is in large part thanks to a string of new international nonstop flights added at the airport, including six new markets last year.

Among the flights added are a nonstop Korean Air flight to the Seoul area, and Scandinavian Airlines nonstop to Stavanger, Norway.

"Right now, the city of Houston is within reach of a very unique and very powerful opportunity," Diaz said. "Houston is poised to become a key global gateway destination, with international passengers flowing through Houston on their way throughout the Americas and to various destinations in the U.S."

The airport has consistently touted Houston's powerful economy when attracting new carriers. Diaz said even with a tumble in oil prices, he expects to attract more flights. He noted the large number of immigrants in the Houston area, and the health of the medical, aerospace and petrochemical industries locally.

"People ask me, why is it so easy for me to find airlines?" Diaz said. "What they want to hear is how powerful is the economy, how many passengers can you generate, what quality passenger?"

He said a drop in oil prices could dampen demand for first class and business class travelers. But, he added, passengers looking to visit family in other countries could find lower prices for coach seats, thanks to added competition.

The next area he would like to add is nonstop flights is Africa, Diaz said.

International flights are expected to continue growing.

Hobby will open a $156 million, five-gate international terminal in October. Southwest Airlines, which is primarily funding the project, will add several flights to Latin America. The airport will have a 3,000-space parking garage to accommodate the1 million passengers expected to be added annually.

Bush will have a new Terminal D by 2020. The City Council approved the funding and phasing plan for the terminal project in June. Construction is slated to begin in 2017. Diaz said one hurdle to Houston's role as an international player is the aging terminal at Bush for international passengers.

The airport system also completed its Federal Aviation Administration application for Ellington to become a commercial spaceport.

Diaz also touted the free WiFi service now available at all terminals at Bush and Hobby, automated kiosks to expedite the process for international travelers, and the NextGen federal project that the airport adopted to improve on-time arrivals.

Edited by wxman

Some new international routes I am dreamin, though not all even slightly possible:

Air New Zealand: Auckland

Iberia: Madrid

South African Airways: Johannesburg

Etihad: Abu Dhabi

Cathy Pacific: Hong Kong

China Estern: Shanghai

According to United's strategy in Houston, I doubt they will add any new long haul routes like these. The question is does Terminal D has the capacity to handle more international carriers?

• 3 weeks later...

A few days ago, Air New Zealand indicated it would announce a new US destination:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11431981

Today, we have a press release indicating a major route announcement out of Houston:

http://www.houstongovnewsroom.org/go/doc/2155/2491438/

So, it looks like IAH-AKL might happen after all.

• Like 3