George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

I just tried Southwest for December 10 -12.  It was all within a buck or two regardless of where the round trip started, though it was a bit cheaper in/out of Oakland.  

I fly between Houston and the Bay Area with some regularity.  Southwest and Continental used to be pretty much in lockstep on stated fares, with Continental getting more expensive once various fees were added in.  United never seems to match Southwest, not that it really matters that much - I'd much rather use Hobby anyway since it's a lot more convenient for me here.  On the other end, travel time on BART from SFO or OAK to the Financial District is pretty much a wash, and if you're going anywhere not on the peninsula OAK pulls ahead.

As a side note, not only does United have a fortress at IAH, it has nearly as big a chokehold on SFO. 

It's been a few years since I flew into OAK.  Do they still run shuttle buses to the nearest BART station?  I heard that they were going to put in a rail connection of some sort.

Sooner or later I'm going to have to go back on a business trip.  Thinking I might try SFO for a change.

One of those must be EVA Air, I think it hasn't been officially announced yet. The other one's gotta be Etihad, I can't imagine ANOTHER East Asian airline after Air China, Korean Air, EVA all announcing within a couple years. Maybe ANA, but I doubt it.

The multiple airlines from Latin America is interesting. The Colombian one will be Avianca for sure. Not sure which other ones we can expect. Maybe Copa? Volaris?

• 2 weeks later...

ANA...holy cow! I did not see that coming. I think TPE was also officially announced. Also, I think Air New Zealand has scheduled a news conference for Friday morning New Zealand time (later this afternoon our time) to announce a new route. It is expected to be ORD or IAH. Fingers crossed Air NZ realizes the business traffic a one-stop to PER from IAH might be able to gobble up (and PER is already served with the 787-9). :-)

ANA...holy cow! I did not see that coming. I think TPE was also officially announced. Also, I think Air New Zealand has scheduled a news conference for Friday morning New Zealand time (later this afternoon our time) to announce a new route. It is expected to be ORD or IAH. Fingers crossed Air NZ realizes the business traffic a one-stop to PER from IAH might be able to gobble up (and PER is already served with the 787-9). :-)

Unfortunately it's going to be somewhere in South America. Two new foreign carriers in one day would have been too much to handle I guess. Great news about ANA though, hopefully it will be more successful than United's second daily was.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately it's going to be somewhere in South America. Two new foreign carriers in one day would have been too much to handle I guess. Great news about ANA though, hopefully it will be more successful than United's second daily was.

How do you know this? I read something a few weeks back that it had come down to IAH or ORD for Air New Zealand...

How do you know this? I read something a few weeks back that it had come down to IAH or ORD for Air New Zealand...

Found this: Looks like it'll be an Auckland-Chicago announcement. Drats!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/63986409/air-nz-expected-to-open-new-us-route

"They've kept this one pretty tightly under wraps," McKearney said.

"If I was a betting man I would put my money on Chicago."

There has long been talk of Air New Zealand opening up a South American route but that was unlikely to be announced on Friday, he said.

"I think South America will definitely come, but I don't think that will be the pending route that they're talking about."

They announced Buenos Aires today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11372895

I was just talking about the press conference that was happening today. They may still announce a North American destination, though it looks like it will be Chicago, which really sucks because I think that ruins any chance we have of getting Air New Zealand for many, many years.

Edit: Reading that article in the post above this one, I guess EZE came as a bit of a surprise, as they were not expecting it to be a South American destination today. Maybe they were wrong about the Chicago thing, and IAH is still a possibility.

Edited by asubrt
  • Like 1

The guys saying "Chicago" appear to be travel agents who primarily book for leisure travelers. I think IAH would remain a distinct possibility. Although ORD should be within the 787-9's capabilities, I think the westbound flight with a full passenger load might be pushing it (the flight clocks in at around 8184 statute miles when routing at ETOPS 330 minutes at the great circle mapper). 

Of course, there are many good reasons for Air NZ to head to Chicago, but I think the European connections can also be had via a one stop routing through Asia. The near Latin American connections (e.g. Mexico and Central America) might be more valuable to Air NZ. 

They announced Buenos Aires today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11372895

I was just talking about the press conference that was happening today. They may still announce a North American destination, though it looks like it will be Chicago, which really sucks because I think that ruins any chance we have of getting Air New Zealand for many, many years.

Edit: Reading that article in the post above this one, I guess EZE came as a bit of a surprise, as they were not expecting it to be a South American destination today. Maybe they were wrong about the Chicago thing, and IAH is still a possibility.

I don't think there's any reason at all to think that it looks like it will be Chicago.  The article that included that speculation or "tip" was clearly mistaken. 

• Like 1

I don't think there's any reason at all to think that it looks like it will be Chicago.  The article that included that speculation or "tip" was clearly mistaken. 

Yeah, I saw a post somewhere else saying it would be Chicago, then that article which I quickly glanced at so I figured that was that, but it sounds like it wasn't a very credible source. Do we know if they are still even planning on announcing a North American route, or was Buenos Aires their big new destination that everyone thought was going to be ORD/LAS/IAH?

Edited by asubrt

So was Buenos Aires the announcement or are we still waiting on the US announcement later on today? The reason I ask is because Friday is almost over for New Zealand.

I think Friday ended in New Zealand about 6 hours before your post. It seems pretty clear the "Friday announcement" was the Argentina service. Full stop.

The plans for Terminal B North have changed some, but at least the initial concourse is definitely no longer in limbo.  The initial B North concourse will be built with the pier position just a little east of where the Marriott Hotel is located.  (it will actually be a little closer to Terminal C than to B.)  It will be connected to the west end of the current C North concourse.   This all part of (or actually a precursor to) the redevelopment of Terminal D.  Not sure when construction will start, but United is required to move out of the C North Pier that holds Gates C14-C23 by some time in 2017, so the new B North concourse has to be done before that.

You are correct because when they tear down Terminal D.  United will let the foreign carriers to use those gates on upper Terminal C.  Once completed United will move back to Terminal C.  Lately I have seen Turkish Airlines and Air China parked at Terminal E because D is so crowded.

As usual, you got it somewhat close to half right.

1.  United will build the first of its Terminal B north concourses.

2.  United moves out of "upper Terminal C" (Gates 14-23).  At that time (2017), United's exclusive rights to "upper Terminal C" are ended.  They will not "move back to" upper Terminal C.  United will be able to use the gates in the new Terminal D, but they will not "move back" in the sense of re-occupying the gates in an exclusive arrangement.  In fact "upper Terminal C" will no longer exist.  All of C north except for the B-C connector (where gates 24-27 are located) will be torn down, to be replaced by portions of the new Terminal D.

3.  As mentioned, step 3 is to tear down the existing Terminal C north, Gates 14-23 and build the new Terminal D, pier D-1. 

Further steps follow.  It's an extraordinarily complex project.  Lots of information available here.

• Like 1