Who are your favorite musical artists/albums of the last few years?

scottf

car cd player - amy winehouse

kitchen - yo yo ma & nat king cole

bedroom - elo (electric light orchestra - zoom), k.d.lang (watershed) & william orbit (strange cargo)

There are definitely some people with eclectic musical tastes on this thread. I'm just not sure how ELO fits into the equation. IMO one of the worst bands of the seventies along with Yes, Moody Blues, and Alan Parsons Project. Digging the Amy Winehouse though...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are definitely some people with eclectic musical tastes on this thread. I'm just not sure how ELO fits into the equation. IMO one of the worst bands of the seventies along with Yes, Moody Blues, and Alan Parsons Project. Digging the Amy Winehouse though...

There's something dead inside if you can't enjoy ELO. Not intended as criticism - more of a medical warning. Get checked!

I paid money to see ELO at a country western club (with small rodeo arena inside) in SA in, I think, 2001 or 2002. I had liked them on Midnight Special when I was little. We almost had to leave because my drunk musician friends started heckling too loudly during 'Xanadu.' The tickets had glitter on them. I kept the stubs.

I know what it's like to be shunned for 70s music taste. The stoners almost excommunicated me in 10th grade when it got out that I really hated Rush. That's like being from Texas and not liking football.

I know what it's like to be shunned for 70s music taste. The stoners almost excommunicated me in 10th grade when it got out that I really hated Rush. That's like being from Texas and not liking football.

i didn't know katy was so rough. :lol:

We still have this early album. It IS classic. You must hear the whole thing. Even won for one of the best album cover's ever via Rolling Stone Mag. :P

Local record stores would have huge wall posters of this album as you entered.

Its a very wicked album just like the woman with her flying monkey entourage!

2465322-1371101575.jpg

"Don't bring me down...No, No, No, No No...WOOHOOHOO!"

:)

I've got a playlist of songs just for swimming with my daughter. We play it over the outdoor speakers. Lots of happy, summer-y sort of stuff. "Mr. Blue Sky" is in there, and now everytime I hear the opening notes I go into a manic frenzy of joy. It's the perfect song for splashing around on a beautiful day.

Re Rush:

I thought I liked Rush in high school. I had a couple of albums and went to a show. But then I heard King Crimson's "Discipline" album and realized I despised Rush. I still like Skynyrd, though. You can't change a bird.

i didn't know katy was so rough. :lol:

au contraire! the kickers had their dipping tree located on the other side of campus from the stoner's smoking area, just in case.

I still like Skynyrd, though. You can't change a bird.

lol, and apparently can't escape one, either. When was Freebird released? That was still makin' it as senior class song well into the 80s.

I know what you mean about Mr Blue Sky.

ANYTHING Nora Jones wants to sing. Her voice makes my knees weak.......................... Cum away with me.................... oops my bad..........Come away with me..........

au contraire! the kickers had their dipping tree located on the other side of campus from the stoner's smoking area, just in case.

lol, and apparently can't escape one, either. When was Freebird released? That was still makin' it as senior class song well into the 80s.

I know what you mean about Mr Blue Sky.

August 1973 on the (pronounced 'lĕh-'n

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

Now thats really digging into the archives! 7 Eleven stores used to give out free bumperstickers from KIKK radio station, many, many of them.

Remember it had the kicker BOOT in red? We used to cut out the ER and stick together to read Proud to "kick" a kicker! All the hippies in the hood displayed proudly on cars and houses. :lol:

Now I am thinking of "Up against the wall redneck mother's"...That one line said "Just kicking hippies asses and rasiing hell"

We always shouted "Just kissin hippies asses and raising hell" B)

• 2 weeks later...

interesting choices, i'd say i've heard about 50% of them

my top albums (since i haven't actually purchased a cd since i was wee in the late 90's)

Daft Punk - Homework (Virgin/Soma) - 1997

DJ Medhi - Lucky Boy (Ed Banger) - 2007

Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger - 197?

Luke Vibert & BJ Cole - Stop the Panic (Cookin Vinyl) - 2001

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works I, 1987-1991 (Distant) - 1996?

edit: so ready for the weekend to start..

Edited by infinite_jim

1975. I love that album. My dad turned me on to it when I was a kid. I had a deep loathing of country music back then, and Willie showed me how good it can be.

country is my main squeeze these days

97.1 country legends is my kool-aid

but my ear will always be on the pulse of today's electronic scene (lol, "bloghouse")

although I have distinct interest in the crossing of popular genres, esp from the transitional period of the late 70's-early 80's; a good example was last night I picked up kenny rogers 1983 album produced by barry gibb w/ dolly on a duet duty

and the hip-hop/electronic scene of the mid to late 90's (b-mo, nola bounce, chicago booty, detroit techno, west coast dub, baile funk, uk jungle, etc)

My favorites are Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, ELO El Dorado, and forgive me... Prince 1999 and Controversy.

HAH! I've got the LIVE version of The Wall, from when they were tearing down the Berlin Wall, playing in my car right now. ELO, the XANADU soundtrack is one of my absolute favorites. I think that is why I am so "in tune" with the gay community. :D

I am a music freak also, and I pretty much like it ALL. My fav right now is "Lollipop". I think it was because I was driving late at night and I had the stereo BLARING'. I don't know, I just like the sound and beat of it. Total bubblegum, but....

I have Bob Marley Legend in my computer right now. That never gets old, and everybody knows it. Paul Oakenfold is good, he has some remixed stuff coming out right now. Paul Van Dyk, he is simply an amazing talent. If I was on a deserted island, and had only 10 CDs to play for the rest of my life, Bob Marley "Legend" and Paul Van Dyk's "out there and back" would take two of those spots.

A one hit wonder by the name of Dirty Vegas got my attention for awhile. Although I was listening to them BEFORE the video and a Mitsubishi commerical REALLY helped them out.

A couple of other mentionables, The Scabs, and The Scabs frontman on his own, Bob Schneider. I like Rihanna also, good voice on her, even Mandy Moore has done a cover of Rihanna's song Umbrella, which I found hilarious.

Edited by TJones

My favorite ELO El Dorado,

That one is a trip! and then one of the most obscure (and seldom discussed) one of Fleetwood Mac's earliest albums Mystery To Me "Hypnotized". Very wicked indeed. :ph34r::D

and cant forget Blue Oyster Cult's - Agent's of Fortune!

Watch out long-haired's!

alb_30198_big.jpgagents.jpg

Controversy was SO much better than 1999.

I agree totally. Prince lost me when he got to Sign of the times and Parade. Prince For You was okay too but I must say my one of my favorite songs by him was International Lover. Please bring your lips your arms your hips into the up and locked position for landing. lol.