Who are your favorite musical artists/albums of the last few years?

scottf

I am a music freak. I was curious what people's favorite musical artists are of the last few years or so. I am interested mostly in newer artists or perhaps, classic artists still making great music, regardless, of genre. I enjoy all types of music as long as it's good.

:)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ahead and laugh, but these are mine.

John Mayer anything. He's a musical and lyrical genius. Lately it's been Sara Bareilles. She has a great voice. The lyrics aren't as great, but they hold their own.

Not all, but some of Brad Paisley's stuff is really good. Some are really stupid but others just have great lyrics. The ones I like are very unique and not cliche at all, yet they're still relevant. He has a good voice, too.

Go ahead and laugh, but these are mine.

John Mayer anything. He's a musical and lyrical genius. Lately it's been Sara Bareilles. She has a great voice. The lyrics aren't as great, but they hold their own.

Not all, but some of Brad Paisley's stuff is really good. Some are really stupid but others just have great lyrics. The ones I like are very unique and not cliche at all, yet they're still relevant. He has a good voice, too.

I am not familiar with Sara Bareilles and don't listen to a lot of newer country such as Brad Paisley (dude can play that guitar though!). But I do own Continuum by John Mayer. I will admit it, I can be a bit of a music snob and didn't want to initially like John Mayer because of the whole "Body is a Wonderland" thing. But Continuum is just a great album. John Mayer is very talented and seems to be really maturing as an artist. Great music to play from the computer during my work day or a lazy Sunday morning...

I am not familiar with Sara Bareilles and don't listen to a lot of newer country such as Brad Paisley (dude can play that guitar though!). But I do own Continuum by John Mayer. I will admit it, I can be a bit of a music snob and didn't want to initially like John Mayer because of the whole "Body is a Wonderland" thing. But Continuum is just a great album. John Mayer is very talented and seems to be really maturing as an artist. Great music to play from the computer during my work day or a lazy Sunday morning...

A lot of people, especially those who really know or think they know music have a hard time accepting John at first. But he's much more than bad hair and a goofy face. He's one of the more insightful people (not just artist/celebrity) you'll hear speak or write. He knows how to make the lyrics sound like the music and vice versa.

I wouldn't discount his older stuff either just cuz it sounds like 'pop.' With the exception of your body is a wonderland, it's just as skillfull.

I would say Sara is worth a try but be careful when listening to Brad. He's got good stuff, you just gotta avoid the fluff songs.

You got any suggestions?

Edited by lockmat

A lot of people, especially those who really know or think they know music have a hard time accepting John at first. But he's much more than bad hair and a goofy face. He's one of the more insightful people (not just artist/celebrity) you'll hear speak or write. He knows how to make the lyrics sound like the music and vice versa.

I wouldn't discount his older stuff either just cuz it sounds like 'pop.' With the exception of your body is a wonderland, it's just as skillfull.

I would say Sara is worth a try but be careful when listening to Brad. He's got good stuff, you just gotta avoid the fluff songs.

You got any suggestions?

Thanks for the head's up on Mayer, Sara, and Brad. I think my favorite band I've discovered last year is a Minneapolis band, now based in Brooklyn, called "The Hold Steady". I think one of the greatest quotes I read in a rock mag about them is they are a band that doesn't realize that punkers and classic rockers are supposed to hang out in different bars. They are a cross between Bruce Springsteen, The Replacements, and Husker Du. Truly exceptional lyrics. The singer's deliver is a bit of an acquired taste. But man, what an incredible band. They have a few albums out but I would start with their latest "Boys and Girls in America". Also, if you are into itunes, download the song "Your Little Hoodrat Friend" from their "Separation Sunday" album. Just a great, bar band. And I mean that in the best way. Their new album is coming out in July.

And I have to say, probably my absolute favorite album of the last year or so is Amy Winehouse, "Back to Black". I know she is an absolute mess of a person and will probably never release another great album if she doesn't get cleaned up, but "Back to Black" is absolute soulful bliss. It's simply a classic.

I think my favorite band I've discovered last year is a Minneapolis band, now based in Brooklyn, called "The Hold Steady".

I was going to suggest "The Hold Steady", but I see I don't need to. They are the greatest band touring and recording right now.

Other music I've been digging: R

Thanks for the head's up on Mayer, Sara, and Brad. I think my favorite band I've discovered last year is a Minneapolis band, now based in Brooklyn, called "The Hold Steady". I think one of the greatest quotes I read in a rock mag about them is they are a band that doesn't realize that punkers and classic rockers are supposed to hang out in different bars. They are a cross between Bruce Springsteen, The Replacements, and Husker Du. Truly exceptional lyrics. The singer's deliver is a bit of an acquired taste. But man, what an incredible band. They have a few albums out but I would start with their latest "Boys and Girls in America". Also, if you are into itunes, download the song "Your Little Hoodrat Friend" from their "Separation Sunday" album. Just a great, bar band. And I mean that in the best way. Their new album is coming out in July.

And I have to say, probably my absolute favorite album of the last year or so is Amy Winehouse, "Back to Black". I know she is an absolute mess of a person and will probably never release another great album if she doesn't get cleaned up, but "Back to Black" is absolute soulful bliss. It's simply a classic.

Cool.

Does Amy Winehouse have any radio songs? I don't listen to the radio too much, but I don't think I've heard any of her songs. What's the closest comparison to her? I have no idea what she sounds like.

Right now really digging anything from Kings of Leon.

Also still enjoying Radiohead's latest effort "In Rainbows"

The Raconteurs have a new album out I want to hear has anyone heard it? I enjoyed there last effort.

For some reason I have been listening to a lot of Elvis Costello at work lately, I think it sort of has a happy mellow tone I enjoy working to.

The ones I play over and over again to name a few:

Henry Mancini - Greatest Hits

Percy Faith - most of his European compilation hits

Daniel Narducci

Most traditional and contemporary singers from Spain

Contemporary Italian singers too

Movie soundtracks to Hollywoodland, De-Lovely, and The Aviator

Just can't get enough of them. :P

Being a progressive rock musician, I tend to go for the more simplistic bands when not working. I really like the the raw old school sounds of Jet and Wolfmother, and I also like the punk pop of the Pink Spiders.

John Mayer is a truly talanted guy, and although not a "great" guitar player, he's got great feel that just can't be taught.

Cool.

Does Amy Winehouse have any radio songs? I don't listen to the radio too much, but I don't think I've heard any of her songs. What's the closest comparison to her? I have no idea what she sounds like.

I think her biggest song in America was probably "Rehab". "They tried to make me go to rehab and I said no, no, no!". She should ignore her lyrics and try rehab but I digress...Her voice is amazing, kind of like an old school, Billie Holiday, Shirley Bassey, Nina Simone kind of voice. Her songs on "Back To Black" are produced to recall the fifties and sixties Motown girl groups vibe. It's kind of an old school soul/r&b vibe. It's just great.

I was going to suggest "The Hold Steady", but I see I don't need to. They are the greatest band touring and recording right now.

Other music I've been digging: R

Vertigo58:

The ones I play over and over again to name a few:

Henry Mancini - Greatest Hits

Percy Faith - most of his European compilation hits

Did you know Henry Mancini composed the theme song to "What's Happening"?

Percy Faith is great, too!

Let's see, Astra Heights is one of my favorite new discoveries. They're originally from the Houston area. Holla!

I love music. Just whatever. All types. But my least favorite is probably newer country (most of which is just tacky) and hip-hop.

I love to discover new music, old music, and rediscover music I had forgotten about.

I've really gotten into ELO over the past several months.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

I have just come out of a 2-3 year thing with electronica, and circled back around to old-school dub. Me and Cap'n Crunch just finished a 2 weekend house project listening to nothing but Lee 'Scratch' Perry.

For continued good karma, I recently turned the Niche on to instrumental Beastie Boys. A nice little mix of the The In Sound From the Way Out plus the new (last year I think) Mix Up cd.

Quite inexplicably, I've been listening a lot to Led Zeppelin Mothership. As a little punk rock teenager growing up with AOR format radio, I figured I would die happy if I never heard a Zep song again, as long as I lived. Now I'm driving around with Kashmir cranked. Go figure.

I have just come out of a 2-3 year thing with electronica, and circled back around to old-school dub. Me and Cap'n Crunch just finished a 2 weekend house project listening to nothing but Lee 'Scratch' Perry.

I just installed a sub in my xB so I need more dub. My favorites right now are the Trojan Dub Massive discs. Any suggestions?

Quite inexplicably, I've been listening a lot to Led Zeppelin Mothership. As a little punk rock teenager growing up with AOR format radio, I figured I would die happy if I never heard a Zep song again, as long as I lived. Now I'm driving around with Kashmir cranked. Go figure.

For my 6th birthday, my uncle bought me Led Zep II to stop me from scratching up his copy. At 5 I had no idea what squeezing my lemon til the juice ran down my leg meant, but I knew those sounds gave me a special feeling.

Did you know Henry Mancini composed the theme song to "What's Happening"?

Percy Faith is great, too!

I've really gotten into ELO over the past several months.

I know I should have been born in another era. I have never liked just one kind of music. Ever!

When we saw ELO in concert the stage was like a huge UFO just like the album cover. Blew everyone away. Jeff Lynn was one of the orginators and amazingly enough I hear he was playing in a duo with another artist and it was a fresh innovative arrangement. He has always been a trail blazer in music.

The other day they were playing most of Zepellin's - Physical Grafitti on the radio. I was shocked! The album cover was a trip. You have to peek in each window & open each page within to "get it" I guess. :D

PGJAK.jpg

Nobody has mentioned much local flavor (well, Austin anyway)...so I will recommend:

Okkervil River - alt country/rock...their albums Black Sheep Boy and The Stage Names are amazing.

Spoon - any of their last four albums are great.

For any Pop fans What Made Milwaukee Famous is a great bar band.

and I will second the recommendation for TV on the Radio and Radiohead...

Nobody has listed My Morning Jacket either...great band to check out.

Since iTunes lets you sort music by the date it's added, this was easier than I thought. Here are the albums I've bought most recently:

• Moby - Last Night (not so good as his others.)
  • Sila - Sa (Turkpop)
  • Feridun D

These are the artists from my iTunes recently purchased playlist.

JoAnn Castle

Corinne Baily Rae

Natalie Grant

April Stevens & Nino Tempo

Lawrence Welk

Jamaican Steel Band

The Murmaids

Alicia Keyes

Sara Bareilles

Elvis Presley

John Fogerty

Eddie Rabbit

Maroon 5

Jerry Goldsmith

The Doobie Brothers

Astra Heights

Albert Hammond

ELO (Electric Light Orchestra)

The Pretenders

We The Kings

Steven Curtis Chapman

The Mamas and the Papas

Genesis

Phil Collins

Addison Road

Adele

Michael Kisur

Pilot

Billy Joel

City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra doing Elmer Bernstein scores

I Nine

Nicolette Larson

Olivia Newton-John

Matthew West

Paul Davis

Jewel

Ana Laura

Duffy

The Puppini Sisters

Melpo Mene

Thristan Prettyman

Santogold

Steve Winwood

I just installed a sub in my xB so I need more dub. My favorites right now are the Trojan Dub Massive discs. Any suggestions?

For my 6th birthday, my uncle bought me Led Zep II to stop me from scratching up his copy. At 5 I had no idea what squeezing my lemon til the juice ran down my leg meant, but I knew those sounds gave me a special feeling.

There's all kinds of re-release activity going on. I always like King Tubby, ( 'on the mix' is a good remaster) and Black Uhuru.

King Tubby is supposed to have a Dangerous Dub 2 album coming out this spring--all previously unreleased stuff. I need to go sniff around for that. If you don't have it, the original Dangerous Dub (early 80s) is a must-have.

I, sadly, did not have an uncle who bought me records when I was 6. You must have been a very special child. :)

edit: for all you serious freaks, Tom Waits has just announced a Houston show. June 22 at Jones Hall. Very rare event. I think he has been to Houston once in my lifetime.

(Cap'n Crunch is beside himself with glee. High Fidelity--the John Cusack character? That's pretty much who I live with. )

Edited by crunchtastic

There's all kinds of re-release activity going on. I always like King Tubby, ( 'on the mix' is a good remaster) and Black Uhuru.

King Tubby is supposed to have a Dangerous Dub 2 album coming out this spring--all previously unreleased stuff. I need to go sniff around for that. If you don't have it, the original Dangerous Dub (early 80s) is a must-have.

Thanks!

I, sadly, did not have an uncle who bought me records when I was 6. You must have been a very special child. :)

I think I was just annoying. Anytime I was at my grandmothers house I went into his room and played his records.

edit: for all you serious freaks, Tom Waits has just announced a Houston show. June 22 at Jones Hall. Very rare event. I think he has been to Houston once in my lifetime.

(Cap'n Crunch is beside himself with glee. High Fidelity--the John Cusack character? That's pretty much who I live with. )

Sweet! I love the HAIF!

Since iTunes lets you sort music by the date it's added, this was easier than I thought. Here are the albums I've bought most recently:

[*]Moby - Last Night (not so good as his others.)

[*]Sila - Sa (Turkpop)

[*]Feridun D

The nature of this forum is non-conformist it seems, so I'm not sure how many of yall allow a small dose of pop music in your listening diet. But does anyone have the Leona Lewis cd? I never heard of her until Idol and she has an awesome voice. I like the stuff that's on her myspace. I wanna get her cd cuz I'm dying for some new music, but I'm a little weary since the last cd I bought was a big dissapointment.

I like Liam Finn's new album. He does Daddy proud. Neil Finn's

will always be one of my tops.

I have to admit, I've been a little retro lately (maybe the 40th mile marker I passed last October <_< ). I'm listening to Fred on XM fairly frequently. And, yes, the cassettes came out last weekend. Even found my

and
:D .