Who are your favorite musical artists/albums of the last few years?

scottf

That one is a trip! and then one of the most obscure (and seldom discussed) one of Fleetwood Mac's earliest albums Mystery To Me "Hypnotized". Very wicked indeed. :ph34r::D

and cant forget Blue Oyster Cult's - Agent's of Fortune!

Watch out long-haired's!

alb_30198_big.jpgagents.jpg

Somewhere along the line this turned into a classic rock thread. :D

The Hold Steady is streaming their new album on their myspace page. I'd also recommend Band of Horses, the new Alejandro Escovado album, and My Morning Jacket.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere along the line this turned into a classic rock thread. :D

The Hold Steady is streaming their new album on their myspace page. I'd also recommend Band of Horses, the new Alejandro Escovado album, and My Morning Jacket.

I think I had a post long ago in this thread regarding MMJ. I have to note that I am disappointed with their new album. I think "Z" was much stronger, mainly because I think "Evil Urges" sags a bit in the middle after a solid opening and before a solid closing suite of songs.

Also, I might get flamed, but the new Coldplay ablum is actually pretty good, I liked "A Rush of Blood to the Head" but hated "XY". Well, "Viva la Vida" reminds me much more of the former and has a general love of/fun with music seeping from the songs. I find it very enjoyable and the lyrics tolerable to even provocative.

I think I had a post long ago in this thread regarding MMJ. I have to note that I am disappointed with their new album. I think "Z" was much stronger, mainly because I think "Evil Urges" sags a bit in the middle after a solid opening and before a solid closing suite of songs.

Also, I might get flamed, but the new Coldplay ablum is actually pretty good, I liked "A Rush of Blood to the Head" but hated "XY". Well, "Viva la Vida" reminds me much more of the former and has a general love of/fun with music seeping from the songs. I find it very enjoyable and the lyrics tolerable to even provocative.

MMJ deserves to get mentioned twice. I agree with you on the new Coldplay (and just bought tickets for the concert this morning).

I'd also recommend the new Iron & Wine - The Shepard's Dog.

These ladies are some of my favorites, but I have noticed there is a recent trend of these single named R&B/Hip hop divas that release hit after hit and collaborate with anyone and everyone only to be overplayed and over exposed on top 40 radio. Once "tired" the media moves on to their next darling. Sure they are still around, but not nearly as promoted and played as they were upon discovery.

Ashanti 2002-2004

Ciara 2004-2006

Rihanna 2006 - Present

Who is the next big thing? :unsure:

Dates are generalized relative to main stream attention, rather than the first hit single release.

Edited by Pumapayam

These ladies are some of my favorites, but I have noticed there is a recent trend of these single named R&B/Hip hop divas that release hit after hit and collaborate with anyone and everyone only to be overplayed and over exposed on top 40 radio. Once "tired" the media moves on to their next darling. Sure they are still around, but not nearly as promoted and played as they were upon discovery.

Ashanti 2002-2004

Ciara 2004-2006

Rihanna 2006 - Present

Who is the next big thing? :unsure:

Dates are generalized relative to main stream attention, rather than the first hit single release.

SO right. The only one (not listed) with any staying power is Alicia Keys.