Another Democrat Bites The Dust........

TJones

I never liked this guy because he was trying to advance his career by making corporate america out to be the bad guy that takes advantage of poor people. When in reality corporate america takes care of people far better than the government does. Now we find out he was a customer of something called the Emperor's Club? I bet he thought of himself as an emporer too.

I never liked this guy because he was trying to advance his career by making corporate america out to be the bad guy that takes advantage of poor people. When in reality corporate america takes care of people far better than the government does.

I could run for days with this one.

That said, a guy who prosecures prostitution rings and makes his career by being the baddest AG on the block is quite the hypocrite when he hires the hookers for himself. If the feds decide that his resignation is not good enough to avoid prosecution, it will be very hard to sympathize with him.

I could run for days with this one.

Not sure what you mean by that but I get a check from corporate america every 2 weeks. Corporate america also makes the food I eat, the house I live in, the gas to make my car go, etc...

Both the government and corporations have their role but Spitzer was on a campaing to paint corporations as evil to further his own career. The fact that he's more corrupt than the people he was going after just proves the point. He's taking care of himself, not the common man as he made himself out to be.

Corporate America buys my politicians to change the rules to screw me. They pollute my air and water. They jack up fees on my credit cards and shorten the time to pay the bill. The banks charge me to cash their own checks....

I could go on, but the point is, it is foolish to paint with such a broad brush. Spitzer's going after corporate scoflaws was not the problem. His penchant for hookers is. And frankly, there are FAR more corporate executives availing themselves of $5,000 hookers than there are politicians. This is not a zero sum game. Because Spitzer is a hypocrite does not mean that the people he prosecuted are not. He is merely one of them.

Corporate America buys my politicians to change the rules to screw me. They pollute my air and water. They jack up fees on my credit cards and shorten the time to pay the bill. The banks charge me to cash their own checks....

I could go on, but the point is, it is foolish to paint with such a broad brush. Spitzer's going after corporate scoflaws was not the problem. His penchant for hookers is. And frankly, there are FAR more corporate executives availing themselves of $5,000 hookers than there are politicians. This is not a zero sum game. Because Spitzer is a hypocrite does not mean that the people he prosecuted are not. He is merely one of them.

I love your rants, so go on all day.

I get the giggles anytime a politician gets his hand caught in the cookie jar (Rep or Dem). I get particularly chipper when there is someone very self righteous that gets caught. It just seems that the ones yell against sining are among those that sin the most.

But what do I know.

I don't giggle with more and more politicians getting caught. I know it's not a perfect world and people make mistakes, even politicians, but I'd rather have more politicians with character than ones making very big mistakes.

Since anything I have to add, Red will say it better ....I will refrain from rant.

Except to say that I'm waiting for Wall Street to show us the love with good numbers today on the news that their worst enemy's career is over. My favorite econ blogger said it best:

"Get ready for a schadenfreude festival on Wall Street."

Since the Gov. of New York works closely with the Senator from New York, I wonder if the Senator's husband, ol' Slick Willie, got any "Hook ups" from Spitzer ? Perhaps Bill, hooked up the Gov, since Washington is Bill's old stompin' grounds where this apparently took place?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23561606

Maybe he hooked up the Senator from Louisiana with some of the hookers. This stupid game played in some of these threads is so tiring.

...I'm waiting for Wall Street to show us the love with good numbers today on the news that their worst enemy's career is over. My favorite econ blogger said it best:

"Get ready for a schadenfreude festival on Wall Street."

Ask and ye shall receive. The Dow is up 251 points this morning. :D

Ask and ye shall receive. The Dow is up 251 points this morning. :D

Ahhh, I wish. Nothing like a little schadenfruede to cheer up my day!!

Although I think it's probably becasue the Fed has just announced it will 'loosen terms' on 200 billion to banks the help them cover their margin calls. The latest big rumor is that Bear Stearns is out of cash, so this would be a likley street response.

Ahhh, I wish. Nothing like a little schadenfruede to cheer up my day!!

Although I think it's probably becasue the Fed has just announced it will 'loosen terms' on 200 billion to banks the help them cover their margin calls. The latest big rumor is that Bear Stearns is out of cash, so this would be a likley street response.

Wrong topic no?

Spitzer is one of the smartest lawyers in the world. He definitley thinks he's above the law.

But with all of these high profile case (democrat, republican .. whatever). I mean, these are VERY smart people (or do we just assume they are smart?) that seem to get caught from doing things that are not so smart...

How is it that they lose their 'better' judgement...?

(And note, I am not judging any of them ... just asking).

Intelligence doesn't really play a role. Whether they get caught or not is irrelevant b/c they're still doing something stupid and wrong.

It's b/c we all have morality issues, regardless of race, gender or age.

You think they just feel they are above the law or just dumb?

There's no objective way to tell if Spitzer thought he was "above" the law, but we can prove that he was dumb. He left a money trail and apparently got caught on a wire tap. He's intimately familiar with how those can incriminate, yet he still got caught. That's just dumb.

There's no objective way to tell if Spitzer thought he was "above" the law, but we can prove that he was dumb. He left a money trail and apparently got caught on a wire tap. He's intimately familiar with how those can incriminate, yet he still got caught. That's just dumb.

Yeah ... and it is amazing how these high people fall victim to such low trappings. I mean, come on!!! They (senators, DAs, etc.) are supposed to be the ones that really know the laws and law enforcement in and out!

...and Schadenfreude - best German word ever!

Totally. If I remember my linguistics classes correctly, none of the romance languages have a word that means the same thing.

But then the Germans can claim the Brothers Grimm, too.

Wrong topic no?

Si. I started out with the very best intentions..... :blush:

Totally. If I remember my linguistics classes correctly, none of the romance languages have a word that means the same thing.

But then the Germans can claim the Brothers Grimm, too.

When I think of Romantic languages, German isn't one of them.

Then again, it isn't a funny language either, but of course, they probably killed all their comedians.

Then again, it isn't a funny language either, but of course, they probably killed all their comedians.

Ahhhh, and so we come full circle: English is a Germanic language. Which might help explain why, culturally, we view these Spitzer-ish stories through our un-funny puritan goggles. Unlike our Romance language friends in Italy, France and Spain, who are having a bottle of wine with lunch, a 2 hour nap, and wondering why we have our panties in a wad just because a man couldn't keep his d*** in his pants.

in and out is an interesting way to phrase that. :D

I knew I could count on you to not let that one slip! :lol:

Ahhhh, and so we come full circle: English is a Germanic language. Which might help explain why, culturally, we view these Spitzer-ish stories through our un-funny puritan goggles. Unlike our Romance language friends in Italy, France and Spain, who are having a bottle of wine with lunch, a 2 hour nap, and wondering why we have our panties in a wad just because a man couldn't keep his d*** in his pants.

English may have some germanic words in them, but we don't use the back of our throat and upper throax to pronounce words.

And Really, they probably DID kill off all their comedians.

Have you ever tried to talk dirty in german? When my (then) girlfriend did, I was more in the mood to run into the trenches then unzip my pants.

English may have some germanic words in them, but we don't use the back of our throat and upper throax to pronounce words.

And Really, they probably DID kill off all their comedians.

Have you ever tried to talk dirty in german? When my (then) girlfriend did, I was more in the mood to run into the trenches then unzip my pants.

How very interesting. My college boyfriend was a bilingual German/American army love child, raised in the fatherland while his 82nd airborne daddy did 2 tours too many in Vietnam. But I digress..... The BF liked to play a little game he called Polish milkmaid meets Luftwaffe pilot.

OK, now I've really got to stop thread drifting!!

Archived