Cancer

Double L

Maybe you guys would rather have a study about the amounts of 1,3 butadiene in a two-mile radius compared to a 10-mile radius? No matter your own opinions on the credibility of the study, 1,3 butadiene is a cancer-causing chemical and if it gets in the nervous system it can cause central nervous system damage, blurred vision, nausea, fatigue, headache, decreased pulse rate and pressure and unconsciousness. Long term exposures at lower levels have shown increases in heart and lung damage.

http://www.npi.gov.au/database/substance-i...rofiles/16.html

As for the bills that are proposed, they aren't strong enough. In the case of ensuring that our air does not have chemicals harmful to human health in it, we cannot use "screening levels" to monitor the air. We need enforcable standards to say that when there are too many of these chemicals in the air then that is breaking the law and is damaging to the public safety of our citizens. That much should be evident and we should not have to fight for it. The lawmakers are only know proposing enforcable laws that say when these amounts of chemicals realeased in the air are surpassed that it is a crime. These laws are cutting us short for our health standards because they are only concerning the few chemicals that were found in the study.

There is much worse chemicals out there which we also need to keep out of our air and these laws are only concerning cancer-related chemicals cited in the study. We need to do much more than that.

Edited by Double L

Perhaps a "Love Canal" solution might be appropriate, in which the govenment buys out houses in especially dangerous areas and prevents any more residential development.

I think that this is the most reasonable solution. It's far easier to remove people from the danger zone than it is to dabble in draconian regulation. It isn't as though lots and homes in areas like Manchester are all that expensive, anyway.

But in fact, I've read from other articles that have stated that many of the companies that own plants that pollute enough to create potential liability problems have already begun buyout programs where there are neighboring residential properties. Manchester has been heavily bought up by such firms, the homes demolished. But there are a lot of people that refused to be bought out, so they remain.

I think that this is the most reasonable solution. It's far easier to remove people from the danger zone than it is to dabble in draconian regulation.

Well I didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't dabble in draconian regulation. When pollution is endangering public health, draconian regulation is in order.

Well I didn't mean to imply that we shouldn't dabble in draconian regulation. When pollution is endangering public health, draconian regulation is in order.

No, reasonable regulations are in order. If you want draconian regulation, we won't have any ship channel industries left. Who suffers more? The kids with leukemia or the displaced employees and unfulfilled consumers? There's got to be balance.

This may be a controversial stance, but there is a socially optimal number of cancerous children and other pollution-related sickies.

perhaps if they move to a better area, this wouldn't happen.
No, reasonable regulations are in order. If you want draconian regulation, we won't have any ship channel industries left. Who suffers more? The kids with leukemia or the displaced employees and unfulfilled consumers? There's got to be balance.

This may be a controversial stance, but there is a socially optimal number of cancerous children and other pollution-related sickies.

Well, that goes back to my original post.

Maybe we should move them to pearland.

• 6 months later...
I love this woman. She is so professional and is a fantastic role model. I'm confident she will pull through just fine. Need more great journalists like her, no doubt.

I know ... she is very ... mature ... but also hip and kinda sexy. I really hope she can pull through this.

Great leaps have been made in the treatment of breast cancer. My grandmother had it, my mother had it and now my partner has an appointment today for an ultrasound. She found a lump last week, went to her doctor on friday and now we find out something today. I'm just so very thankful that MD Anderson is here just in case it does turn out to be cancer. I'm very glad Robin Roberts did her self exam and found her cancer early. Prayers would be appreciated.

I understand completely.

I used to volunteer at MD Anderson and saw 1st hand what people go through. When we walked in to the patients rooms you never knew what emotions were going on. I had lost my big sister in a fire accident so I had a good idea of what these families were facing and going through. I actually felt very comfortable around the patients and vice versa.

I would urge anyone to volunteer at MD Anderson you see life from a whole new perspective. That's why I don't understand why most of the people on this forum battle it out almost every day. Life is short, you have to enjoy every living moment.

• 7 months later...

While pancreatic cancer is generally a terminal diagnosis, there are certain types of tumors that are resectable. Steve Jobs recently announced that he had a pancreatic tumor resected with a good prognosis.

However, if they are not planning on surgery because the tumor is not resectable, then prognosis is generally 10-12 months or less.

• 3 years later...

So, the WHO says there may or may not be a risk of brain cancer from talking on a cell phone for 30 minutes a day. Instead, it recommends that people use a Bluetooth device.

Oh, great. So I can keep the phone in my pocket and get nard cancer? At least my brain is protected by a skull. There's only squishyness between by pockets and my little swimmers!

So, the WHO says there may or may not be a risk of brain cancer from talking on a cell phone for 30 minutes a day. Instead, it recommends that people use a Bluetooth device.

Oh, great. So I can keep the phone in my pocket and get nard cancer? At least my brain is protected by a skull. There's only squishyness between by pockets and my little swimmers!

Aw...c'mon, Ed!

I'm sure your future two headed kids would look cute!

:D

Edited by ricco67

• 3 years later...

Sad news to report about a member of the Houston media.

Vikki Cummings Taylor Rosenkranz, better known as Vikki Taylor to TV viewers, passed away following a battle with cancer. In recent years, Taylor filled in for Don Nelson on Ch. 13's morning traffic reports. Before that, she was Westwood One's airborne traffic reporter for 104.1 KRBE & KTRK for 14 years according to her LinkedIn profile.

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2015/01/houston-traffics-vikki-taylor-loses-cancer-battle.html?m=1

http://abc13.com/news/traffic-reporter-vikki-taylor-dies-after-battle-with-cancer/499339

Reaction from anyone on Taylor's passing?

• The title was changed to Cancer From Cell Phones
  • The title was changed to Cancer

Family member diagnosed with stage 4. BCM doctors ordered an extreme treatment plan of both radiation and chemo therapy treatments.  He had his big surgery a few weeks ago.

He went in for a check-up, and the doctor said they were able to remove all the cancer at the microscopic level! He actually beat stage 4?  There is only one thing he has to do now to stay a live and healthy.  He has to stop smoking.

I haven't seen him smoke for 2 weeks.  Last night I noticed he stepped outside and closed the door.  Such a shame.  That addiction to nicotine and cigarettes!! Disappointed to say the least.  I wanted to rant actually.   If you need to be smoking something post-cancer maybe you should smoke cannabis? Or vape nicotine at least, do not go back to plain old fashioned cigarettes.

Kudos to Baylor College of Medicine!!  Forever thankful.

Edit: St. Lukes was involved. Baylor St. Lukes