Southwest Airlines

editor

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23942137/

WASHINGTON - The whistleblowers who exposed maintenance and inspection problems at Southwest Airlines told Congress their jobs were threatened and their reports of noncompliance were ignored for years.

Federal Aviation Administration inspector Douglas Peters choked up Thursday at a House hearing and needed a few sips of water to tell lawmakers about how a former manager came into his office, commented on pictures of Peters' family being most important, and then said his job could be jeopardized by his actions.

Rep. James Oberstar, D-Minn., said FAA managers' actions displayed "malfeasance bordering on corruption," adding that if presented to a grand jury, the evidence would result in an indictment.

This just keeps getting worse...

• 3 months later...

This makes total sense. WestJet really is the Canadian version of Southwest. They're what Southwest would be if Southwest had assigned seats and in-flight entertainment systems on its planes. WestJet does serve a few US cities, but has very little presence in this country. Having Southwest as a partner will greatly expand WestJet's reach into most major US business markets. And Southwest gets access to all of the major Canadian cities, as well as a lot of second- and third-tier Canadian cities.

• 4 years later...

Southwest has really showed a commitment to Houston recently, unlike United. I was always a huge Continental supporter, and never flew Southwest until last year, but since the merger United has added essentially 0 destinations out of IAH (Lagos was announced by Continental, and I believe Jackson Hole/Rapid City were as well, which were the last two domestic destinations added on CO/UA that I can recall). On the other hand, in the past 3 years or so Southwest has added, or will add: Atlanta, Newark, Charlotte, Memphis, Pensacola, Washington-Reagan, NY-LaGuardia, Boston, Pittsburgh, Orange County, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Seattle, Raleigh/Durham, Panama City (FL), Branson, Charleston (SC), and Greenville/Spartanburg, not to mention 8-10 international destinations coming in 2015. Granted, United already serves almost all of these destinations from IAH, but their growth has completely stagnated in terms of new destinations, while other airlines continue to add service (Turkish Airlines, Air China, Spirit, Frontier, etc...).

IAH is seeing additional capacity in terms of widebodies and of course the 787, but it seems as if they are still punishing us for the Hobby international terminal fiasco, because every other UA hub has gotten multiple new destinations (even Cleveland!) since the merger except for IAH. Not to mention the cutting of countless destinations such as Paris, Asheville, Greensboro, Beaumont, Waco, Victoria, Del Rio, Cedar Rapids, Toluca, and others.

• Like 2

I agree with Avensab727.  However UA did frame their cuts/layoffs (which were coming anyway) as a result of the City's decesion to develop Hobby as a Internation gateway for SWA.  UA just came off appearing to be juvenile in their response.  "Your going to let SWA fly to Cancun...We aren't going to fly 787's to Auckland!  So there."  Does this make sense to anybody??  They lost jt16, me and countless others in this rediculous, thinly vieled response.  Contiental didn't own Houston, SWA doesn't own Houston...United shouldn't think that they own it, either.  So far...CO:UA...Disaster.  I really hope they turn it around.  I really do.

I have a sibling that works for United so I do enjoy my free or pay taxes only flights, but they definitely have crappy customer service. You can tell if you get a United crew or old Continental crew.

• Like 1

UA is not punishing IAH. They just cut unprofitable flying out of IAH. The new routes out of the other hubs are already served by IAH. I would not say there are countless cuts.

Speaking of countless, I've seen your insanely pro-United posts on Airliners practically every single day, and while they did cut some unprofitable routes out of IAH, the fact remains that they have removed 10+ destinations and added exactly 0 (while every other hub has had multiple additions to their route network). They flat out said during the city council proceedings for Hobby international service that "we will cut service and jobs at IAH if this happens." Remember this?

United Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL) plans to cut 1,300 jobs and some service at Houston’s main airport after the city backed Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV)’s bid to start international flights from a secondary facility.

The 10 percent reduction in seating capacity at George Bush Intercontinental Airport includes dropping a planned route to Auckland, United told employees in a memo yesterday. Most of a $700 million terminal project is also “in significant doubt,” Chicago-based United said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-30/southwest-wins-houston-council-support-for-flights-abroad.html

Yes IAH was the largest hub and yes some of those destinations were covered from Houston already, but moving you're telling me they couldn't have added a Providence, or a Madison, or Santiago, Munich, Punta Cana, or one of any number of cities that are not served from IAH? Moving the Paris flight to SFO doesn't exactly fit the "already served from IAH" criteria either. Look, I don't have access to their financial information, so I can't tell them what routes they should and should not fly, but the fact of the matter is that they way they handled the merger and the Southwest situation was a public relations disaster, and while adding a token route or two out of IAH wouldn't mean much to the general public, it would at least be a sign of good faith to the city after moving the headquarters away and slashing service left and right. 

Well, it was a PR disaster. But UA was planning the cuts, all because they said they were going to cut because of hobby going international doesn't mean that was the true intention. They use the HOU debacle as a scapegoat.

You have no way of knowing if that's true or not, just as you have no way of knowing which routes are profitable and which are not unless you work at United or know someone that does. And it doesn't even matter: the fact is they said they were going to cut because of Hobby, and they did cut. Regardless of your claims that you aren't a United fanboy, every single post you make is some combination of "United is right-sizing IAH", "They aren't punishing Houston", " I think they are going to add routes soon!", "I think United is happy with where they are in Houston", or some other vague statement with no backing. You can't argue with the fact that the post-merger activity at IAH has been different than at every other hub in the network. Maybe they have been simply cutting non-profitable routes, maybe not, but you're telling me there isn't a single city in the world that could have a profitable route from IAH that isn't already served? I think Air China and Turkish Airlines, among others, would disagree.

They made a big deal about terminal B south opening. Terminal B north will start later this year.

I hope they do start with the rest of Terminal B, but one reply to one of your tweets by a person with no source does not equal confirmation by any means. Until there's an official announcement we've got to assume that it's on hold indefinitely (or cancelled), as has been suggested by many sources. There's no bigger IAH supporter than me, and it sounds like you and I want the same thing (a bigger, better IAH), but you've got to chill with the fanatical optimism and be realistic about these things.

Side note: I'm flying United tomorrow for the first time since Continental ceased to exist (RIP), and hopefully departing from the new terminal B. I'll try to get there early and snap some pictures for the forum.

• Like 1

Well, The HAS social agent told me that. He/she knows info. Why would that person say construction is starting later this year if they had no source. But I think that you are leaving the fact that those sources could be wrong. I am not fanatically optimistic, just optimistic. And all of this happened a year ago! Things could have changed.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the release.

Southwest Airlines Launching Nonstop to Reagan National Airport

Southwest Airlines is planning to launch new nonstop flight service between Houston’s William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) and Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) on August 4, 2013.  The announcement means that air passengers in Houston will soon have the ability to access Reagan National Airport from both HOU and George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH).

“Southwest Airlines is definitely taking advantage of the strong economic momentum that currently exists in Houston,” said Houston Airports’ Chief Commercial Officer Ian Wadsworth.  “This is the latest in a string of service announcements from Southwest Airlines, expanding their coverage area for Houston passengers.”

Southwest Airlines recently launched nonstop service to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Charlotte, North Carolina, in addition to announcing planned service to New York’s LaGuardia Airport, beginning in June 2013. 

As for the Washington, D.C. route, it was made possible after the U.S. Department of Transportation awarded slot exemptions to Southwest Airlines by accepting its application for gate space at Reagan National Airport.

The new route completes a triad of nonstop service options between Houston and the metropolitan airports in Boston, New York and Washington, D.C. and further underscores the airlines’ commitment to business travelers who value these nonstop flights.

“This new option on Southwest Airlines brings our legendary customer service and low fares to tens of thousands of customers who will travel the route each year between Reagan National and Houston Hobby,” said Ron Ricks, Southwest Airlines Executive Vice President & Chief Legal & Regulatory Officer.  “We owe great thanks to the thousands of Southwest employees and community partners who joined a chorus of consumers asking that we be able to offer this needed service.”

Southwest Airlines currently operates 153 daily departures from Hobby Airport.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

They also cheap taken care of their planes.  Customer safety is the main issue which they do not care.   

Huh?  They've been flying for over 40 years with one, count 'em, one fatality, and that was someone on the ground in the Midway runway overrun accident nearly a decade ago, that occurred in conditions on the edge of calling for diversion.

I will grant that Southwest does not offer first class seating to Melbourne, Australia (well, actually, none at all..), nor do they fly 787s or A380s.

• Like 2