TheNiche

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Construction is underway for Vue, a new high-end night club in the former home of Laff Stop on Waugh at Allen Pkwy. It’s in the same building as Guava Lamp video lounge, and its Woody Gould joined forces with Crew Staffing and Chelsea Grill owner Tony Gutierrez for the project. The facility will be also be available for private events. Michael Stribling (you might know him from HGTV’s Design Star) is overseeing interior design."

http://www.bisnow.com/washington_dc_commercial_real_estate_news_story.php?p=13357

This is a perpetually empty second floor location above a Subway, a liquor store and a hair salon. I wish them luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I walked around the new Whole Foods this weekend. It is getting close. They are putting in pavers for the sidewalk and front deck. I'm guessing landscaping will start this week as well.

Has there been any official word on a grand opening date? The end of April still seems realistic.

I heard today from the WF Kirby employees that the opening of the Montrose store is set for June 22nd. Some of them will be moving to the new store and I asked if they knew when it was opening and the guy said "June 22, it just got pushed back by two weeks."

I heard today from the WF Kirby employees that the opening of the Montrose store is set for June 22nd. Some of them will be moving to the new store and I asked if they knew when it was opening and the guy said "June 22, it just got pushed back by two weeks."

I posted your comments on Swamplot, maybe they'll give you credit. Good info, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I walked out of the Cru Wine bar last night around 11:30 (across the street from the new WF) and noticed at least a dozen workers busy inside. Still no official word on the opening date, but its comforting to know they are putting it long hours to finish it up.

• 4 weeks later...

What is the deal with the wire on the sides of the building? It looks incomplete, but everything else is so far along (the tables are already outside for the cafe). We thought maybe they were going to grow vines on them, but that's a total guess.

I'm not sure if you've been to that Kroger since the gourmet uplift a few years ago.

What I'm really wondering is if the West Dallas WF will become as crowded and pretentious as the Kirby location. It's close to River Oaks, and directly in the path of their downtown commute, so I'm not optimistic. I used to like shopping for occasional items at the Kirby WF, about 10-12 years ago, when the clientele was more granola-eating-hippy and less yuppy-shopping-there-only-because-it's-trendy.

I think it pull a big crowd from the Heights because of the lack of decent grocery stores up there. I'll let you draw your own conclusion on whether that will make it more or less pretentious than the Kirby location.

Don't forget the mega-Kroger on 11th. If I had to guess, I'd say 90% of the Heights shops there, being that it's the only large supermarket in the Heights.

http://www.chron.com...ss/7614443.html new story about the green features

"Whole Foods said the Montrose store is its greenest in this market."

"The company initially considered building the store above two levels of parking, which would have reduced the size of the lot out front and created a denser development on the 5-acre site. But the grocer decided against it because the amount of concrete required for that type of construction would have created a "huge heat island" Shaw said.

"All that concrete absorbs heat all day and radiates it at night," he said. "It's a huge energy load."

Green space also reduces that heating effect. Trees placed strategically throughout the parking lot will create a better aesthetic while shading the cars, Shaw said."

http://www.chron.com...ss/7614443.html new story about the green features

"Whole Foods said the Montrose store is its greenest in this market."

"The company initially considered building the store above two levels of parking, which would have reduced the size of the lot out front and created a denser development on the 5-acre site. But the grocer decided against it because the amount of concrete required for that type of construction would have created a "huge heat island" Shaw said.

"All that concrete absorbs heat all day and radiates it at night," he said. "It's a huge energy load."

Green space also reduces that heating effect. Trees placed strategically throughout the parking lot will create a better aesthetic while shading the cars, Shaw said."

LOL.

The grocer decided against it because it would cost a lot more to build a store over a garage than it would to take the cheap way out and build a suburban style store with a huge surface parking lot (see H.E.B. on Dunlavy).

Still chuckling over the thought that a massive surface parking lot with some trees "strategically placed" throughout will cause less of a heat island than a development with a smaller footprint!

I noticed a "Rent a Fence" around the lot next to whole foods today during lunch. I don't think I have seen this there before... could it be the housing project they had mentioned earlier?

From an older Swamplot article... http://swamplot.com/...nd-development/

"The Finger Companies says the Whole Foods will be built “in conjunction with the developer’s proposed new luxury apartment project.” That project, also announced in the spring of 2008, was slated for the eastern portion of the site, closer to Montrose Blvd."

If we can confirm that the 'Grand Tower' development being discussed here is part of the same development as this WF, it may be appropriate to merge these topics.

I could just be dumb, but I don't see any correlation so far, except that they are both being planned in the same area.

If we can confirm that the 'Grand Tower' development being discussed here is part of the same development as this WF, it may be appropriate to merge these topics.

I could just be dumb, but I don't see any correlation so far, except that they are both being planned in the same area.

I agree with lockmat, if anything, this thread might be split/renamed as information is developed.

I agree with lockmat, if anything, this thread might be split/renamed as information is developed.

Fair points - that's why I said if. Premature on my part, though - for which I apologize.

Fair points - that's why I said if. Premature on my part, though - for which I apologize.

Nothing to apologize for as far as I'm concerned. You wondered about something and we responded.

Don't let it happen again! ;)

Archived