88 members have voted

1. 1. Which Supermarker is Better?

• Walmart Supercenter
    • SuperTarget
    • H-E-B
    • Kroger
    • Randalls
    • Fiesta

why do you all not like walmat? What is it? the parents with their uncontrolable quantity of kids? is it the way the people are allowed to tear up the store? is it the quality of the employees? is it the speedy checkout that isnot so speedy? is it the dirty floors? Overall i prefer walmart because of the conenience, but unfortunately i have to travel to sugarland to shop. what are your reasons?

All the above in particular and these: 1) how all the employees seem to be hiding chatting on their cell phones pretending to be working 2) there were no baskets one day, I mean none. then as I walked through the aisles I realized that they were all being used by employees full of merchandise restocking shelves. This was on a Saturday morning at 10:00. ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Wal-Mart is good at putting other retailers out of business and buying out others. Why don't they buy out all malls and call all of them WALMALL?

That would seem rather impossible. I would rather shop in a dead mall than in a WALMALL.

Besides, Target is better at what it does than Wal-Mart, and a lot of rich people are not going to be caught dead in a Wal-Mart, period; if Wal-Mart controlled everything, we would have to be a third world country.

• 2 weeks later...

I have gone into Wal-mart maybe twice ever in my life...

My mom would always complain that she wouldn't shop there and I would always tease her about it. One day I did go into a Wal-mart after spending ten minutes trying to find a place to park. I walk in and it is very very noisy. Not very clean (stuff all in the isles and such). Well after all that I get to the check out! WOW -- I left -- I was not going to wait in line that long.

Needless to say Target is more for me! quiet and friendly.

Not to mention there isn't a Wal-mart near downtown. The new Target is really nice though.

Also there is one thing that Target has that Wal-Mart doesn't, Downy Wrinkle Releaser (IT IS A GODSEND).

I voted for Walmart. I love Walmart. Best prices and best selection. I say more power to Walmart and to the big-boys. You go and over-pay at the mom and pop stores if you want, me, I'll go to Walmart.

Randalls sux. They used to be the classiest gig in town, since the sellout a few years back, well, lets just say I don't see them lasting too much longer. Lousy service and lousy prices.

• 7 months later...

Kroger rocks. I try not to buy anything not on Kroger special, and I am a dork and make a game out of how much I can "save". It tells you on the receipt, I think the most savings percent I've had is 45% on a $70 bill. I put the receipt up on the fridge.

Now we (my wife) go to Fiesta for produce. Sometimes not as fresh, but more variety and cheaper. Much better avocados.

HEB has good selections, but Krogers has Boae Head deli! YUM YUM!

edit: Sorry I was talking to so many people, and I am out of it...

*Boar* :rolleyes:

The HEB nearest me carries Boar Head deli meats. I didn't mind your alternate spelling of Boar - I'm from New Orleans and drop my final r's when I speak.

Kroger and every so often SWM (super walmart).

When I do shop either place its only with coupons. My best at Kroger was a couple of months ago. My total before Kroger card and coupons was $232 after coupons and card *drum roll please* $64 ^_^ I was so thrilled and proud of myself. I will only use coupons at Kroger that get doubled or tripled and any coupon over $.55 I will use only at SWM.

Kroger and every so often SWM (super walmart).

When I do shop either place its only with coupons. My best at Kroger was a couple of months ago. My total before Kroger card and coupons was $232 after coupons and card *drum roll please* $64 ^_^ I was so thrilled and proud of myself. I will only use coupons at Kroger that get doubled or tripled and any coupon over $.55 I will use only at SWM.

Hey my wife just read this and will like to know how you do it. She only save 15-25 on a 100 dollar cart.

• 2 weeks later...

Walmart just seems to have a real talent for insensitivity. Locals apparently don't have the stomach to demolish this building; it takes a big-box corporation. For those who are unfamiliar with cobblestone construction, it's extremely rare, labor-intensive and beautiful.

A walk around the Cobblestone Barn

As it sits, the barn is just about where the new Walgreens will have its pharmacy. So... the barn remaining in its current place doesn't seem an option.

Walgreens to Replace Rare Wisconsin Cobblestone Barn

"The status of this special building always concerned me," says Steve Frevert, former chair of the Beloit landmarks commission. "Southeast Wisconsin has the only significant concentration of settlement-era cobblestone buildings outside of New York State. The city of Beloit has less than half a dozen left. I believe this is the only non-residential cobblestone building in the region."

I just don't see why some people are so bitter towards Walmart. I go so often I loose count.

My only gripe is how most of the staff shows how unhappy they are with their jobs. Like slopping around or displaying a lazy attitude in front of the customers. Most are so unknowledgable of what is where, etc.

Other than that the prices are low enough for me. :ph34r::)

PS, Super Targets are toooooo expensive.

• 3 weeks later...
I just don't see why some people are so bitter towards Walmart. I go so often I loose count.

My only gripe is how most of the staff shows how unhappy they are with their jobs. Like slopping around or displaying a lazy attitude in front of the customers. Most are so unknowledgable of what is where, etc.

Other than that the prices are low enough for me. :ph34r::)

PS, Super Targets are toooooo expensive.

I guess it depends on if you want a better shopping experience or whether you want cheaper prices.

Most times I shop with my wallet and will head to Walmart, but every now and then I will venture into a Target.

I remember several years back Walmart had a big sales initiative about it selling more products made in the USA than any other discounter. What a bunch of hooee that was. Kmart actually had more products for sale that were made in the USA at the time (some kind of JD Powers survey proved it). Rednecks loved it though and flocked to Walmart like it was the most patriotic thing to due.

Target is a chick store: try and find the sporting goods department, hardware or automotive. Two or three counters is all you get.

Kroger was my main grocery place until they started with all that self check out crap. If you can't provide checkers, then I go elsewhere. Their is a small grocery chain I now shop at, "Big Chief". They have checkers waiting to help you, plastic or paper, and they carry the bags to your car. The baggers all wear white shirts and ties. The prices are competitive and they take Triple Coupons for those that do that stuff.

Kroger was my main grocery place until they started with all that self check out crap. If you can't provide checkers, then I go elsewhere. Their is a small grocery chain I now shop at, "Big Chief". They have checkers waiting to help you, plastic or paper, and they carry the bags to your car. The baggers all wear white shirts and ties. The prices are competitive and they take Triple Coupons for those that do that stuff.

I like HEB for that reason too ... too bad it's not convenient for me to shop there.

I remember several years back Walmart had a big sales initiative about it selling more products made in the USA than any other discounter. What a bunch of hooee that was. Kmart actually had more products for sale that were made in the USA at the time (some kind of JD Powers survey proved it). Rednecks loved it though and flocked to Walmart like it was the most patriotic thing to due.

Target is a chick store: try and find the sporting goods department, hardware or automotive. Two or three counters is all you get.

That is like how this grocery store called "Minyards" is in DFW. They carried it out to your car and bagged it for us.

But I like those self-checkout things.

Yeah I hate shopping where there aren't self checkout things. It's only a matter of time before I shoot some old lady in the head for fumbling around with a check forever in front of me (maybe this needs a new thread, who the hell still writes checks (except for mailing bills and rent)? it's called a check card, same damn thing and I don't have to daydream of stabbing you while you take forever to use it). And as far as bagging, no one that works at any grocery store knows how to do that any more. I would rather bag my own and have it done right.

Yeah I hate shopping where there aren't self checkout things. It's only a matter of time before I shoot some old lady in the head for fumbling around with a check forever in front of me (maybe this needs a new thread, who the hell still writes checks (except for mailing bills and rent)? it's called a check card, same damn thing and I don't have to daydream of stabbing you while you take forever to use it). And as far as bagging, no one that works at any grocery store knows how to do that any more. I would rather bag my own and have it done right.

I tend to help the baggers ... I will often group my groceries on the conveyor belt with how I want to unpack them at home. Cans together, frozen veggies together, etc. Makes everyone's job easier.

As for the check cards ... I think baby-boomers have a hard time with understanding them. My mother for example ... just refuses to use anything but checks, cash or cashier's checks.

Say wha?!?!

• 4 weeks later...

Well Walmart is the best

they have the things i need and at a decent price

I get about half of the things i want there.

Produce i usually go to food town :P

Quick stuff like junk food ,i usually go to the family dollar since its closer...

but about half of the other stuff i go 2 walmart..

I also had a neighbor that worked in the North Pasadena Location and he said overall its a good place to work in...

• 5 weeks later...
I'm sure they're both great American companies, but I have noticed a different "feel" from both Target and Wal-Mart. There are two Targets by me, and two Wal-Marts, so I'm speaking of course from limited experience. Wal-mart feels cold, impersonal and indifferent to your presence there. The employees are not like the ones shown on television, they're not happy at all. When I'm going through the check-out, I try to ask if the cashier is having a good day. I always get an earful of discontent from Wal-Mart employees. They are NOT happy campers! Target employees seem happier, more content and seem to take a little more pride of ownership in the place where they work. Since the product offerings are pretty similar (I even like the food section better at Target!) I choose to shop at Target. I also prefer to shop at Lowes's over Home Depot for the same reasons. Both Lowes's and Target seem to care that you are there and appreciate it, while I get the feeling from Home Depot and Wal-Mart that they could care less if you were there or not. All things being equal, the little extra effort exerted towards customer care and appreciation puts Target and Lowe's over the top. :)

Well, I will say that the Wal-Mart has a bizarre smell. It always smells a bit groudy and musty. The smells change as you go throughout the store...the pesticide section...the crafts section...the automotive section...it's all wrong. Target has a uniform, cleaner smell.

That said...

Being in College Station, where the selection is limited to a creepy Wal-Mart Supercenter in Bryan, one Albertson's, a few HEBs and Krogers, I'll have to say H-E-B.

Talk about your terrible jobs; wearing a shirt and tie to do manual labor for what amounts to minimum wage and tips.

Talk about your terrible jobs; wearing a shirt and tie to do manual labor for what amounts to minimum wage and tips.

I've discovered it depends on what Kroger you goto. The one closest to me (on FM 1960 @ I45) has a large number of self check out stands. The one on Kuykendahl doesn't and they still provide baggers and a friendlier experience.

Guess which one I use now?

They're generally kids, unskilled, or older people. Sacking groceries is one of the appropriate jobs for those groups. Not everyone gets to be a CEO.

I bet a lot of people here have had that job at one time or another. I know I did it when I was in high school.

I agree with the people above who feel that grocery stores should give us more customer service rather than less. Every once in a while I'll end up at a store where the check-out person will ask me to take the items out of my plastic hand basket. I always answer "no, that's your job." Sometimes they try to engage in a stare-off with me, but I've got all the time in the world and a line of people backing up behind me. Eventually the cashier always relents.

Are you serious? Technically, that's not the cashier's job and when I worked at Wal-Mart a manager backed me up on this. A customer wanted me to unload his basket, ring up his purchase, bag, and then reload his basket. I told him, "That's not my job, sir. Things would go alot quicker if you cooperate." He refused, a manager got involved and he ended up unloading the basket and reloading it. You can't get away with being pretentious everywhere.

Archived