• H-E-B
    • Kroger
    • Randalls
    • Fiesta

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Wal mart always be #1. Any retail store tries to battle wal mart will not survive. Target better stay in their corner. If you can't hang with the big dogs, better stay on the front porch.

You know, people said the same of IBM to Apple in the 1970's.. Then they said that about Apple to Microsoft in the 1980's..

Remember when the only cars at a car shows in the 1960's were American? No one thought imports could topple U.S. automotive makers. And this was all long after no one thought Ford and his army of assembly lines could be overcome.

McDonalds was once dominated all fast-food markets, but not anymore. Subway, Burger King, & Taco Bell now share with them equal, if not greater market share.

Remember when it was just Atari? That was until Nintendo became the king of console gaming in the home. Of course, that was only until Sony came along in 1995.

Things change in all aspects of business over time. I don't see Walmart forever being the supreme facilitator for perishable & non-perishable goods in the home.

• 2 years later...
What do you think will top Wal-Mart?

Target, sometime in the future.

Wal-Marts are just getting dirty.

I will gladly pay an extra quarter for the same product. Most of there prices are only different by the $#.88 versus $#.96.

why do you all not like walmat? What is it? the parents with their uncontrolable quantity of kids? is it the way the people are allowed to tear up the store? is it the quality of the employees? is it the speedy checkout that isnot so speedy? is it the dirty floors? Overall i prefer walmart because of the conenience, but unfortunately i have to travel to sugarland to shop. what are your reasons?

What world are you living in?? Our Super Walmart is very clean, no kids running around, great selections, speedy checkouts, nothing being torn up. If these problems do exist in your area, then contact Walmart headquarters asap. They will actually fly staff in to check out these problems. They have those nice little jets you know. :-)

i had to go to a wal-mart in semi-rural missouri (southwestern) and it was relatively clean, organized, and efficient.

ther than that, i have been to two wal-marts in houston - dunvale and meyer park - and they were filthy and unkempt. they must rake in enough money to keep from getting the once over...

The new one near Redstone Golf Club is pretty nice. You can tell they are trying to upgrade their image.

But I shop at all the stores in this survey except for Fiesta.

Super Target has just as much junk from China as Wal Mart. Target just has better commericals.

why do you all not like walmat? What is it? the parents with their uncontrolable quantity of kids? is it the way the people are allowed to tear up the store? is it the quality of the employees? is it the speedy checkout that isnot so speedy? is it the dirty floors? Overall i prefer walmart because of the conenience, but unfortunately i have to travel to sugarland to shop. what are your reasons?

All those reasons for me, plus some others: employees don't speak english, employees don't speak at all nor acknowledge you, the store has a communist feel to it, they don't sell anything that i couldn't get somewhere else where i'd gladly pay more for the same thing, and their fresh food is disgusting.

To me target is just another KMART trying to hang with wal mart, but at the end target is going to get their feelings hurt like kmart.

Target has been around for a long time. If Wal-Mart was going to bring it down, it would have done so by now. They don't even have the same target demographics. That's like saying Randalls is going to get its feelings hurt for trying to hang with Kroger.

TArget don't have nothing. Everytime I go into Super target it be almost empty. Everytime I go into Wal mart, it's jam packed. Even late at night it still be packed around 11pm-1am. Besides, target is higher then wal mart. You can take an target coupon to wal mart and they will meet that price, if it's not already low price. Target is going to end up like Kmart trying to battle with Walmart.

Did you mean to say, "Target doesn't have anything. Everytime I go into Super Target, it is almost empty"... "Even late at night, it is still packed around 11pm-1am"... "Besides, Target is higher than Wal-Mart"... "You can take a Target coupon"? Just wondering.

I'm not sure what you mean here, exactly. Target has lots of things. People shop there. I can't disagree with your claim that Wal-Mart was packed, since it was packed during the three or four times I went there in the past 5 years. Just because a store is busier than another store, doesn't mean that it's better. It just means, in this case, that the store targets (no pun intended) the lowest common denominator, which is the largest segment of society. If you told me that a store was empty, I'd gladly shop there, because that means I may have a pleasant shopping experience. Why would I want to take a Target coupon to Wal-Mart when I could take a Target coupon to Target? Is saving a few cents or a few bucks worth having a discomforting shopping experience?

The last time I was in a Wal-Mart (529 and Hwy 6), I felt like I had just stepped into some kind of Communist nightmare. There is absolutely nothing American about that store, not the products nor the culture. I have no need for "one stop shopping", because I don't get in my car every day to go out and buy a bunch of crap. That is why Wal-Marts are so crowded every day. People have nothing better to do, so they drive to Wal-Mart every day of the week to be the consumer slaves that they are.

Target is still a big corporation too, but I would actually set foot in there by choice. At least there's a chance I could see an employee genuinely smiling inside that place.

TArget don't have nothing. Everytime I go into Super target it be almost empty.

Did you mean to say, "Target doesn't have anything. Everytime I go into Super Target, it is almost empty"... "Even late at night, it is still packed around 11pm-1am"... "Besides, Target is higher than Wal-Mart"... "You can take a Target coupon"? Just wondering.

I don't know houstonsemipro personally, but I interpreted the statement to mean

that Target really, really doesn't have anything since my sense that the use of double negatives was used to emphasize that something was really lacking. To bolster the claim, houstonsemipro follows up with, "Everytime I go into Super target it be almost empty," which I intepret means it is always almost empty.

Although fairly certain I understand the intended meaning, I disagree with the claim. Personally, I prefer Target over Wal-Mart in terms of selection and quality of merchandise. But, not being big on shopping, maybe I just don't understand. For what it's worth, when Wal-Mart tried to move into a small SF Bay area town not too far from where I live, the residents got riled up, launched a petition against the store and pressed the town leaders who eventually went to court to keep Wal-mart from building a store in the community. It made national news; the headlines read, "The little town of Hercules fights giant Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart backed off and opened up a store in another community 10 miles away.

Midtown Fiesta is my favorite grocers. And Montrose Krogers. OTOH, I've been thinking about starting to enforce a "buy local" policy. I may start buying produce at the farmer's market (I hear one exists, sometimes..) and clothes at stores like American Apparel, which opened on Westheimer. Larger, "durable goods," I try to buy vintage or from ebay. Almost all my furniture is vintage modern. I just keep thinking about the huge amounts of crap that people acquire. What does it bring us? Happiness, not really....

i'm with you pure, definite conjugation problem.

Midtown Fiesta is my favorite grocers. And Montrose Krogers. OTOH, I've been thinking about starting to enforce a "buy local" policy. I may start buying produce at the farmer's market (I hear one exists, sometimes..)

there's a farmer's market every tuesday from 3:30-7 at Rice, and Saturdays from 8-12 by Onion Creek.

http://www.houstonfarmersmarket.org/

for grocery stores, disco kroger on montrose, even through all my moves

i'm with you pure, definite conjugation problem.

A bit more complex than a "conjugation problem". The writer is using a double negative and using "be" as an aspectual marker-- in this case to mark habitual action. Not knowing the writer's intentions, I can't say whether the writer is grammatically challenged or is deliberately choosing these strategies to achieve a particular rhetorical effect.

Wal-Mart will build a Super center off of 59 and little york, and announced that they purchase land off of I-45 and Cross timbers near North line Mall for a future location.

It be startin construction when?

Midtown Fiesta is my favorite grocers. And Montrose Krogers. OTOH, I've been thinking about starting to enforce a "buy local" policy. I may start buying produce at the farmer's market (I hear one exists, sometimes..) and clothes at stores like American Apparel, which opened on Westheimer. Larger, "durable goods," I try to buy vintage or from ebay. Almost all my furniture is vintage modern. I just keep thinking about the huge amounts of crap that people acquire. What does it bring us? Happiness, not really....

I like the way you think. Unfortunately, there aren't many of us.

I just keep thinking about the huge amounts of crap that people acquire. What does it bring us? Happiness, not really....

It's not that bad. You sound bummed out. Don't let what other people have bother you.

59 and Little York will be great for that area. Although I am still mad at Home Depot for clearing a forest to build a parking lot.

I don't know houstonsemipro personally, but I interpreted the statement to mean

that Target really, really doesn't have anything since my sense that the use of double negatives was used to emphasize that something was really lacking. To bolster the claim, houstonsemipro follows up with, "Everytime I go into Super target it be almost empty," which I intepret means it is always almost empty.

Although fairly certain I understand the intended meaning, I disagree with the claim. Personally, I prefer Target over Wal-Mart in terms of selection and quality of merchandise. But, not being big on shopping, maybe I just don't understand. For what it's worth, when Wal-Mart tried to move into a small SF Bay area town not too far from where I live, the residents got riled up, launched a petition against the store and pressed the town leaders who eventually went to court to keep Wal-mart from building a store in the community. It made national news; the headlines read, "The little town of Hercules fights giant Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart backed off and opened up a store in another community 10 miles away.

That sounds like "jive."

It be startin construction when?

Well, at this time all I know is Wal-Mart purchase a lot of acres by Northline, and the 59 little york location (old Flea Market) been in the works for some time. Besides, Wal-Mart just recently opened a Super Center off of Beltway 8 and Mesa Dr. It's very nice!

Do you mean when it starting construction?

No, that would create ambiguity regarding what "it" was that is being constructed and who is doing the constructing. Is the Wal-Mart store constructing itself before it exists, or is it constructing something else--if so, then what is it constructing?

Archived