America's Most Underrated Cities (Houston #3)

sevfiv

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the "comeback kid" reference was from how Houston has emerged from the oil-bust funk of the late 1980s.

When you consider that wasn't really all that long ago, and how things were here back then - it's come a long way.

My friend dated a girl from Manhattan and he traveled there often. Her parents visited Houston and they were in awe of how many restaurants we have. They commented that Houston has just as many as NYC.

I was really surprised to hear that. I figured every city has a ton of restaurants.

Has anyone traveled the US enough to compare and see the same difference?

I've spent a lot of time in Manhattan and I have to disagree. Houston is a very good restaurant city and is definitely one of the top cities in the country, but we don't have as many choices as Manhattan.

.....and to think, I am moving from the #1 city to go to the #6 city in the nation. Yes, nieces and nephews, your Uncle TJ is moving BACK to Austin. My wife and I are doing this for our children. We have had a wonderful opportunity set before us, and we are gonna grab ahold of it and hopefully ride it for the full 8 seconds.

.....and to think, I am moving from the #1 city to go to the #6 city in the nation. Yes, nieces and nephews, your Uncle TJ is moving BACK to Austin. My wife and I are doing this for our children. We have had a wonderful opportunity set before us, and we are gonna grab ahold of it and hopefully ride it for the full 8 seconds.

Follow your bliss! But you always have your virtual family and friends here.

sounds like a haif gathering is imminent.

My friend dated a girl from Manhattan and he traveled there often. Her parents visited Houston and they were in awe of how many restaurants we have. They commented that Houston has just as many as NYC.

I was really surprised to hear that. I figured every city has a ton of restaurants.

Has anyone traveled the US enough to compare and see the same difference?

Back in the 90s I read a survey that showed Houstonians ate out more than any other major city and I think we also had the highest number of restaurants per capita. Everything I've seen supports that. My personal experience has been that Houston specializes in great dives.

Back in the 90s I read a survey that showed Houstonians ate out more than any other major city and I think we also had the highest number of restaurants per capita. Everything I've seen supports that. My personal experience has been that Houston specializes in great dives.

Don't forget we were also the "Fattest" city, 3 years running ! I know I was doing MY part to keep that title going, but, to no avail.

Don't forget we were also the "Fattest" city, 3 years running ! I know I was doing MY part to keep that title going, but, to no avail.

what? moving? huh?? Austin???

Good grief, gone for a couple of days and look what happens.

Must plan drinks.

I am in total agreement with you and musicman. I do plan to hover around Houston a couple of days a week though. I will still be woring in Hempstead for a bit and commuting, just to see how THAT works out for me.

• 2 weeks later...
I've spent a lot of time in Manhattan and I have to disagree. Houston is a very good restaurant city and is definitely one of the top cities in the country, but we don't have as many choices as Manhattan.

This was few years ago, but Tori said 2005, "where USA Today called Houston "the dining-out capital of the nation": on average, we eat out more often than any other city in the country, at the second-lowest average price."

http://houstonstrategies.blogspot.com/2005...such-great.html

• 3 weeks later...

We've heard all this before, but hey, why not? And Instead of creating a new thread, I'll just tag this onto here.

It's technically an ad, but still.

http://online.wsj.com/ad/houston.html

Name a major American city with a world-class cultural scene, restaurants to delight the finickiest of foodies, rich ethnic diversity, teams for every major professional sport, a population more educated than the rest of the U.S. on average, an internationally integrated economy and the most parkland of any U.S. metropolis.

New York? Wrong. San Francisco? Wrong.

Try Houston.

-------

And Houston.org had this one posted on their site

http://www.btusonline.com/article.php?id=204

Archived