Google Satellite Imagery Updates

flipper

• 3 months later...

GooglEarth has some imagery that is supposedly uploaded within the past month, and it shows all kinds of development in all directions. Most obvious new feature is the completed Grand Parkway east of I-69 and down to Baytown.

Another curious feature is a Hispanic neighborhood east of Roman Forest that appears to have sprung from nowhere and is adding trailer homes on individual plots and some new tract homes. I was unaware it existed two years ago. I have no idea which neighborhood it is, but the Grand Parkway is close by.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, toxtethogrady said:

GooglEarth has some imagery that is supposedly uploaded within the past month, and it shows all kinds of development in all directions. Most obvious new feature is the completed Grand Parkway east of I-69 and down to Baytown.

Another curious feature is a Hispanic neighborhood east of Roman Forest that appears to have sprung from nowhere and is adding trailer homes on individual plots and some new tract homes. I was unaware it existed two years ago. I have no idea which neighborhood it is, but the Grand Parkway is close by.

The latter thing is Colony Ridge. It was fairly controversial. The guy who bought all the land and built it is a libertarian of sorts and his arguments in favor of his right to build it are sound. It's just that he's going to create a concentration of like 50,000-60,000 extremely poor people a large proportion of which are undocumented, don't speak english, have no education, etc in a location that's extremely far away from practically everything. It's going to be weird. Also not a lot of long term provisions to pay for services and infrastructure.

Understandable why so many, especially in today's economy, would take the offer to buy a cheap lot and put up a trailer and DIY yourself some kind of homestead, but man, I think going forward 20-30 years that place is going to be rough.

I think the only other similar places in the US would be the deserts north of LA, where there are huge settlements of people living in trailers and it's really bleak and weird.

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, zaphod said:

It's just that he's going to create a concentration of like 50,000-60,000 extremely poor people a large proportion of which are undocumented, don't speak english, have no education, etc in a location that's extremely far away from practically everything. It's going to be weird. Also not a lot of long term provisions to pay for services and infrastructure.

Understandable why so many, especially in today's economy, would take the offer to buy a cheap lot and put up a trailer and DIY yourself some kind of homestead, but man, I think going forward 20-30 years that place is going to be rough.

Source? I looked up Colony Ridge. and maybe I missed something, but I see no mention of it being controversial. Just a website. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zaphod said:

The latter thing is Colony Ridge. It was fairly controversial. The guy who bought all the land and built it is a libertarian of sorts and his arguments in favor of his right to build it are sound. It's just that he's going to create a concentration of like 50,000-60,000 extremely poor people a large proportion of which are undocumented, don't speak english, have no education, etc in a location that's extremely far away from practically everything. It's going to be weird. Also not a lot of long term provisions to pay for services and infrastructure.

I think the only other similar places in the US would be the deserts north of LA, where there are huge settlements of people living in trailers and it's really bleak and weird.

I saw this website, all about the place. Looks like the owner does Uncle Slaton financing, IOW "Owner financed, strictly to them that's got no kind of credit, 'cuz he knows they're slackers and they'll miss that payment and he takes it back..."
13% foreclosed and back in the hands of this developer? Helluva scam. Nice work if you can get it...
https://reduceflooding.com/2020/11/30/flood-of-foreclosures-hundreds-to-lose-colony-ridge-homes-tomorrow/

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Google Street View Of Downtown Houston Broken?
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, mfastx said:

Kinda annoying how the satellite imagery is still from like 2019 if not earlier, other cities are updated more frequently! 

Yeah google takes years and years to update. Zoom maps is nice and has much more up to date images even live images if you stay far enough zoomed out. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Arbor Street said:

The 3D view has finally updated!

image.png.26d36b4d1d67ea05282965626361b1a9.png

I find the 3Ds very distracting. Often the buildings overlap each other and point in all sorts of directions. The picture above is actually pretty good.

I keep looking at the imagery, and in a lot of places, it's updated to within a couple of months - at least under the timeline banner. Up around Lake Conroe and out to the west, the amount of change is quite noticeable - lots of real estate getting chewed up for packed-in tract homes and strip centers, in pretty quick order. You can even spot the new developments flying into the airports.

Edited by toxtethogrady
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 8:13 AM, hindesky said:

Google Maps has new satellite views up as of today. Still about 9 months old but better than the 3-4 year old view.

There seems to be some areas of Houston that are not updated like the UH area and around GRB.

Edit: I was referring to the Google Maps 2D on my cell phone.

Edit again, .: the Google Map on my cell phone finally updated.

Edited by Stew
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Google Street View Of Downtown Houston Broken

Not Google, but didn't want to start a new thread. Today Apple Maps added Houston and Dallas to their "Detailed City Experience" so we have much more detail on maps when you zoom in. It also has some cool special building graphics for all of our stadiums as well as Williams Tower and the Waterwall. There might be other buildings but that was all I saw in the quick fly around I did earlier. Anyway, go Houston for getting upgraded to the big leagues with Apple Maps.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/9/2022 at 9:20 PM, zaphod said:

And they're back in the news. Seems the State of Texas has problems with it...
Colonia Ridge

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More updates in the Colony Ridge saga. DOJ is now investigating the developer for fraud and "Uncle Slaton" financing...
Feds Sue Houston-Area Developer For Alleged Mortgage Lending Scam Targeting Spanish Speakers

"In the first predatory mortgage lending case ever brought by the U.S. Department of Justice, a Houston-area subdivision developer is accused of misleading tens of thousands of mainly Latino borrowers into taking out loans they could not afford to buy barely livable properties, then profiting from their foreclosures.

Colony Ridge Development LLC is accused of operating a “one-stop shop for discriminatory lending,” violating the Fair Housing Act and Equal Credit Opportunity Act, according to a DOJ press release. The lawsuit was filed by the DOJ and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau..."

• Like 1

• 4 months later...