Hotel ZaZa Museum District At 5701 Main St.

Hotel ZaZa is out of Dallas.

It's geared towards the hip and trendy crowd and is definitely eclectic. That said, it is obviously doing something right because the hotel recently expanded and has just announced a residential addition. It's located in Uptown Dallas and there's been a buzz about this place for quite some time.

At the very least, if this rumor proves true, the area will certainly be livened up. The Warwick sits in my favorite location in Houston. You can literally walk right across the street to all of the museums, Hermann Park, or walk the oak canopied trail around Rice U. The light rail has a stop right next door as well. Unfortunately, the last time I was there was for a wedding in Nov. 03, and the place was DEAD. It needs new life.

And the buyer is......

Hotel ZaZa out of Dallas.

You heard it here first. My source is a manager of a competiting hotel and his friend will be the new catering manager.

You are correct sir!

I doubt they'd keep the warwick name. The hotel already has branding, and dont worry you will get used to the name. This is one of the coolest hotels in dallas and it will do wonders for the immediate area. It will likely have condo units on top overlooking the park. This is truly a permanant location. I heard they picked it up for 25M. Zaza was trying to find a home on kirby, but could not find the right site. http://www.hotelzaza.com/.

Look for the W to announce a site in the galleria area soon. I dont event think they took a serious look at this.

You are correct sir!

I doubt they'd keep the warwick name.  The hotel already has branding, and dont worry you will get used to the name.  This is one of the coolest hotels in dallas and it will do wonders for the immediate area.  It will likely have condo units on top overlooking the park.  This is truly a permanant location.  I heard they picked it up for 25M.  Zaza was trying to find a home on kirby, but could not find the right site. http://www.hotelzaza.com/.

Look for the W to announce a site in the galleria area soon. I dont event think they took a serious look at this.

Good news! The W would be a great addition to Galleria area and would only help enhance it's image as the "upscale" area of Houston. Are they looking to build a new building along the Post Oak corridor? There is a perfect spot for a W right on Post Oak Blvd across from Magianos and right in front of the Dominion condos.

W00T! W at the galleria!

maybe they should call it "W002" :lol: or the 002, or something :P

Now..when is Hou getting a Ritz Carlton?

• 2 weeks later...

Feb. 19, 2005, 10:00PM

Hotel ZaZa looks for a site

Dallas owners believe Houston a hot stopover for wealthy travelers

By NANCY SARNOFF

Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Hotel ZaZa, a swanky Dallas inn whose guest book includes such names as Cher, Britney Spears and Jerry Seinfeld, wants to open a property in Houston.

A location hasn't been selected yet, but a hotel spokeswoman said the owners are looking to expand the ZaZa brand in a few select cities.

"Houston is definitely in our scope," said Barbara Buzzell.

She said the owners are looking at a property here, but wouldn't say which one, because nothing is final.

Rumors about one possible location have centered on the Warwick Hotel on Main Street.

John Remmers, general manager of the 1920s Museum District property, said he wasn't aware of any sale to ZaZa.

The Warwick, which overlooks Hermann Park and the famous Mecom Fountain, was once the only place to stay in Houston.

"In the '60s, the Warwick was the best game in town," said John Keeling, a hotel analyst with PKF Consulting.

"For the well-heeled traveler, that was where they stayed, and there was no competition."

As Houston started seeing more hotel construction in the 1970s, the Warwick became less exclusive.

It suffered further blows during the 1980s oil bust, and the property later changed hands several times.

But its location between downtown and the Texas Medical Center was an enduring problem for the Warwick, said Keeling.

"It's a 'tweener,' " he said. "It's not in the Med Center, and it's not downtown. It's neither here nor there."

Hotel ZaZa opened in Dallas, its only location, in 2002.

Its Uptown site, which is walking distance to more than a dozen restaurants and condominium buildings, has helped its success, Keeling

said.

On the other hand, the Warwick location, while scenic and upscale, is more of a residential environment, he said.

"It's a very risky call," Keeling said.

Hotel ZaZa was developed by Charles Givens and Jeff Records of Givens Records Properties of Oklahoma

City.

Each of the property's 146 oversized rooms includes a sitting room, a work area, Mario Russo bath products and marble bathrooms.

The hotel also has a salon called ZaSpa and a restaurant developed by celebrity chef Stephan Pyles.

ZaZa is about to open seven luxury suites in a separate building.

Catering to the ultrarich, these over-the-top "villas" have gourmet kitchens, Whirlpool spas, 42-inch plasma screen TVs and music systems.

The most expensive one, called the Rock Star, goes for $1,695 a night.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Yes, ZaZa is so NOT Houston.  That just won't work here IMHO. 

Especially considering Dallas has one. 

But what do out of state developers know about Houston?

Dallas is the only city that has one. Its from Dallas. I am guessing that its like dallas' version of Hotel Derek.

I agree - I think the Warwick name needs to stay.

Same here. I hope the ZaZa folks operate this hotel true to its classy history. Putting the preditory and pretentious atmosphere of the McKinney Ave hot spot in the Warwick would tarnish the charm of the place, to me. Similar location maybe, but different structure. Putting a Houston twist into another ZaZa Hotel is a perfect match.

I really like the idea of an immerging boutique hotel chain rooted in Texas. ZaZa Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio - let the brand simmer for a couple of years to become something of a uniquely Texan upscale urban boutique hotel atmosphere bla bla bla.

They should at least maintain the Warwick name in it...like the ZaZa Hotel Warwick, or something.

:angry:

Any mo0re info since last Fridays article on ZAZA????????

OK--for those of you fools that think the zaza or warwick or whatever can be compared to a wh0rehouse like the derek is ridiculous. I have been to the Derek, and I've been to the Warwick (or for those peeps that THINK its the ZAZA), and I've been to the ZAZA in Dallas-----frankly, the derek is a dump for the anorexic chic, the bulemic, coke sniffing crowd! How can you compare the Grande Dame of Houston (THE WARWICK) to a toilet bowl like the Derek!~ For the idiot that wrote that the ZaZa is ZsaZsa, learn to spell ZAZA. Frankly, if and ONLY IF the name changes, I for one will thank all dieties that we worship that someplace that is "not houston like" will be in town. Bring it on. All of the misinformed fools, rumour-mongers, as of today, there is no name change scheduled. Please stop.

One other thing, for the fool that wants the Warwick to be a Hilton, or Ritz, you are out of your freaking mind. If the warwick became a hilton, every fool could spend $50/night and if it became a Ritz, the staff would be standing around with a hot poker up their butts wanting to "serve you" or as I like to put it, kiss your @ss!

Let the chips fall where they may and enjoy the ride. Everyone is in for a pleasant surprise and the new owner(s) will be the one(s) rolling in the money.

• 1 month later...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050509/95111.html?.v=1

^To see the full article click above^

Gemstone Resorts International Selected to Manage Two Boutique Properties

Monday May 9, 8:30 am ET

Hotel Operator Takes Over Warwick in Houston and Casa Madrona in Sausalito

HOUSTON & PARK CITY, Utah--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 9, 2005--Gemstone Resorts International, LLC, a leading resort management company that specializes in managing and asset managing four- and five-diamond unique urban hotels and lifestyle resort projects, today announced that it has signed management contracts with the historic Warwick Hotel in Houston Texas, which will be reflagged as the Hotel ZaZa Houston, and the 63-room Casa Madrona Hotel & Spa in Sausalito, Calif.

Uh......sorry to burst your bubble.......check the link and the Chronicle article in my signature.

Texasdago, who owns the website about Memorial Bend, can verify it. The first residents were my father and his first wife.

Quotes from article:

"Mr. & Mrs. Gregory, the first residents, were presented with a club membership by developer Puig and builder Long."

"First couple to occupy a home in Memorial Bend was Mr & Mrs. Robert E. Gregory."

I didn't think Traviata had any houses in 1955? :huh:

Yeah the Waldorf has been part of Hilton for many many years. It doesn't have the Hilton name on it anywhere though. It operates just as the "Waldorf Astoria" and while you can book it through the main Hilton website, they actually have a separate website just for that hotel.

I almost stayed at the Waldorf last year while in New York for the weekend. I was in Connecticut doing employee counseling for an early retirement incentive offer for a client, and had the weekend off. Since I was just 50 miles away from downtown Manhattan I opted to go to New York for the weekend. My bosses were already in NYC on the same project and were staying over the weekend to finish up business on the following Monday before going on to New Jersey, so we had the client book arrangements for me at the same hotel they were at in NYC. We were supposed to be at the Waldorf but the reservations were booked fairly late and it was full, so we ended up directly across the street at The Barclay Intercontinental, which was very nice, but no where as well known as the Waldorf. However, had I stayed there, I wouldn't have been in the really exclusive Waldorf Towers section, where rooms include things like butler service and some other very exclusive amenities. I would have been in a room probably no nicer than what I had at the Barclay.

I kinda agree with you there: I stayed at the Waldof=Astoria about 2 years ago and I was "ok" with it. Granted, it was the basic of basics of a room. Of course the lobby was awesome and all the shops were great. But I left with the idea that I would have enjoyed staying at the Milford Plaza, as we did just one month before, and be close to Broadway, Times Square, and all that. It was actually kinda dead around the Waldorf at night.

This past Christmas we stayed at the downtown Houston Hyatt after the company party, and I remember thinking it was a lot more hotel and quality for the money.

Yes, it seems quite gay and this comming from a gay guy.

I think the hotel should be called the Warwick with small print under saying under something to the effect of its Hotel ZaZa property. That way the Warwick stays.

In any case, I'm glad to see this redevelopment occur between Midtown and the TMC.