Walmart Neighborhood Market Grocery Stores

I think the nymph's reaction has more to do with your striking resemblance to Ted Kazcynski than to any "bigger is not always better" issues.

Oh, please. Ted looks nothing at all like me. The problem was very clearly the horse genitals, but you wouldn't know anything about that.

...or would you? :mellow:

Wow. Talk about hijacking a thread. From Wal-Mart overshadowing Kroger in the Houston grocery market to nymphs and centaurs. Exactly which aisle are nymphs on?

Interesting, all I had to do to completely kill interest in this thread was talk about horse genitalia. This could come very much in handy during the next Houston vs. Dallas whine-off.

Edited by TheNiche

Interesting, all I had to do to completely kill interest in this thread was talk about horse genitalia.

On the contrary, I have never known a man to get tired of tired of talking about balls. y'all were just resting.

Every time we we have such a thread, we shall utter, "Horse's balls, man!"

See.

I mainly only by undergarments and socks at Walmart as far as clothes go, but I did get myself an Astros T-shirt there a few weeks ago on clearance for only $8. It was pink and cute and they only had one. And it was official MLB brand.

I bought a Texans T-shirt at Walmart last year for only $3.

Edited by KimberlySayWhat

Wow. Talk about hijacking a thread. From Wal-Mart overshadowing Kroger in the Houston grocery market to nymphs and centaurs. Exactly which aisle are nymphs on?

I like what the pup in your avatar is wearing. :)

and yes what happened to topic/ Lost and found. Hee hee...

on a seperate note the food prices at Walmart are not as inexpensive as one might think. The convenience of slowly strolling along and not rushing to but items are what attracts people to Walmart I say, and of course the varied selection of items. Walmart is here, embrace it!

Well for one there isn't a Wal-Mart near me (I go to Target). I haven't stepped foot in a Wal-Mart in a long time (years even). The last time I tried to I walked right out, it was extremely overcrowded. Also I find the quality of their food not very satisfactory as well as the variety.

I will say this though, Target has some pretty good cloths for everyday wear. My job unfortunately has a dress code of suit and tie, which I don't think I can get at either Wal-Mart or Target. (If I could I would wear shorts and flip-flops everyday!)

Edited by Daniepwils

Well for one there isn't a Wal-Mart near me (I go to Target). I haven't stepped foot in a Wal-Mart in a long time (years even). The last time I tried to I walked right out, it was extremely overcrowded. Also I find the quality of their food not very satisfactory as well as the variety.

I will say this though, Target has some pretty good cloths for everyday wear. My job unfortunately has a dress code of suit and tie, which I don't think I can get at either Wal-Mart or Target. (If I could I would wear shorts and flip-flops everyday!)

Actually, they might. I saw one of them selling blazers. I think it was Target.

If 71% of households shopped at wal-mart, and 74% of those buy clothing there, that's a large number - has much changed since '99?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m309..._38/ai_54943754

HAHA!

Wow, I have never bought "wrangler" or "faded Glory" clothes at walmart, It's like buying clothes at a cheap 99cent store. I'd rather buy my clothes at Old Navy, Macys(yeah the same company probably makes it) I read the chron article and noticed that someone posted that Wal-mart is cheaper...Let me tell EVERYONE something Kroger and Randalls are EXPENSIVE AS .....! I shop at Food Town, 12pk of coke(i drink it non stop) 3.33(for 2 weeks) 3.88 at Wal-Mart(which is *sarcasm* so cheap) HEB had it even higher than wal-mart. Hell Even walgreens had it cheaper. A few weeks later wal-mart adjusted the price to be the same as foodtowns. I went to a target in Pasadena and noticed the same item was cheaper at Target than wal-mart. Where is the "cheaper" coming from? I'm cheap, Autozone had a car sponge for 1.99 Oreilys' had then for 99 cent, Walmart 1.48. No, i don't hate wal-mart but hate the fact people brag about how much cheaper everything is. Factor the time in getting to one...Finding a parking spot, making sure a basket won't hit your car, standing in line to check out...etc

Actually, they might. I saw one of them selling blazers. I think it was Target.

I saw the Target blazer a few weeks ago and thought about buying one. Then I realized that, worst case, everyone shopping at Target has the same impulse and we end up in uniform. Best case, no one shopping at Target has the same impulse, but when they see me in it they think "Hey, there's that one doofus who buys his blazers at Target." So I didn't buy it, and I've been on the lookout for that doofus every since.

Wow, I have never bought "wrangler" or "faded Glory" clothes at walmart, It's like buying clothes at a cheap 99cent store. I'd rather buy my clothes at Old Navy, Macys(yeah the same company probably makes it) I read the chron article and noticed that someone posted that Wal-mart is cheaper...Let me tell EVERYONE something Kroger and Randalls are EXPENSIVE AS .....! I shop at Food Town, 12pk of coke(i drink it non stop) 3.33(for 2 weeks) 3.88 at Wal-Mart(which is *sarcasm* so cheap) HEB had it even higher than wal-mart. Hell Even walgreens had it cheaper. A few weeks later wal-mart adjusted the price to be the same as foodtowns. I went to a target in Pasadena and noticed the same item was cheaper at Target than wal-mart. Where is the "cheaper" coming from? I'm cheap, Autozone had a car sponge for 1.99 Oreilys' had then for 99 cent, Walmart 1.48. No, i don't hate wal-mart but hate the fact people brag about how much cheaper everything is. Factor the time in getting to one...Finding a parking spot, making sure a basket won't hit your car, standing in line to check out...etc

I have heard that the one of Wal-Mart's most effective marketing strategies is the "price roll-back" - one item in a department is under-priced and advertised heavily. Other items in the department are priced regularly or slightly over-priced. Customers see all the advertisements for the low priced items and assume that everything in the store is cheaper than average, so they fill up their carts.

Edited by Dan the Man

I have heard that the one of Wal-Mart's marketing strategies is to heavily discount one item in a department and then advertise it heavily. Other items in the department are priced regularly or slightly over-priced. Customers see all the advertisements for the low priced items and assume that everything in the store is cheaper than average, so they fill up their carts.

I've heard that this evil strategy (called a "loss leader" in the industry) has even spread to Wal-mart's competitors! In fact, it's spread to retailers who don't even compete with Wal-mart (yet), and also backwards through time to retailers that existed long before Wal-mart was even created! How insidious!

When I was very young, I worked in a camera store. We ran weekly ads for big name cameras at prices below our cost. If I sold one of those cameras, they took the difference out of my paycheck. My job was to never, ever sell one of those cameras, but to convince the suckers that Ricoh brand cameras were much better than Nikon or Canon. I got a bonus for each Ricoh I sold. (We got Ricoh cameras for almost nothing, if you didn't guess.)

I have no idea if they were better or worse than Nikon and Canon, but I know one thing: I never sold a loss leader. I would fake explosive diarrhea and run to the can to keep from selling one of those things.

Another thing: I think all those Coke prices are determined largely by deals worked out between Coke, Pepsi and the retail chains. Coke and Pepsi give deep discounts in exchange for guaranteed large amounts of shelf space and advertised discounts for certain weeks of the year. I remember hearing they each negotiate 25 week deals, leaving RC 2 weeks a year to push its sugar water.

Edited by memebag

I have heard that the one of Wal-Mart's most effective marketing strategies is the "price roll-back" - one item in a department is under-priced and advertised heavily. Other items in the department are priced regularly or slightly over-priced. Customers see all the advertisements for the low priced items and assume that everything in the store is cheaper than average, so they fill up their carts.

While they do this, another strategy is to price the lowest quality item in a group very cheaply, as one would with a loss leader, say, a 20 inch TV. Then, the better and larger TVs are priced above market, but situated next to the advertised TV. Once you see the better TVs next to the cheap one, you are tempted to buy up. The tendency is to believe that the prices on the better models are as low as the advertised special, when they are not. There is nothing illegal about it. They are simply taking advantage of the natural tendency to want the options, and impulse buying, since you probably did not compare prices on the larger TVs.

All of the stores do it. The most insidious examples are not at WalMart at all. They occur at supposed upscale stores, where the consumer equates a ridiculously high price with quality. The goods are all made in the same sweat shops in Asia, but because they put a label on it in French or Italian, and jack up the price, the consumer thinks it is better quality. I mean, they couldn't charge this much if it was cheap, could they?

In this sense, Niche's shopping habits are not at all bad. It is just too easy to mock one who shops at WalMart.

• The title was changed to Walmart Neighborhood Market Grocery Stores