Walmart Neighborhood Market Grocery Stores

Wal-Mart Supercenters have overtaken Kroger as grocery market-share leader for the Houston area.

That's according to the most recent market survey published in the January 2008 issue of the Shelby Report, a national trade publication covering the grocery industry.

According to the report, Wal-Mart Supercenter has a 28.5 percent market share, compared to Kroger's 25.6 percent. Wal-Mart Supercenter's market share is up 0.88 percent from the previous quarter, compared with Kroger's decline of 2.10 percent. Third place H-E-B is up 0.26 percent.

Wal-Mart Supercenter's rise in the Houston area has been rapid. As recently as 2000, Wal-Mart Supercenter had just a 2.3 percent share of the area market. But by early 2004, its share jumped to 18.5 percent.

Convenience is also a factor, Griffith said, noting that "people can buy their clothes and housewares on their grocery trip. You're driving to one store instead of two."

full article

It occurs to me that I don't even know where the Wal Marts are in Houston, other than the ones out toward my folks in Katy. My only problem with Wal Mart is when the Wal Mart shoppers come to town and play tourist at Whole Foods and CM. Stopping their (empty) carts at every turn and pawing the samples. Packs of track-suit lovelies exclaiming loudly about all the varieties of salad greens and wondering what blood oranges taste like. Having little fits at the prepared food counters, asking for samples of 10 different things and buying nothing. Bleh. What can I say, I'm a grocery snob and am trying to get over a bad case of Holiday Grocery Shopping Stress Syndrome.

I find Kroger's dwindling market share rather surprising, especially considering the number of stores. It seems like there's a Krog's everywhere I turn. Is it all the suburban growth driving the numbers? One Wal Mart in Pearland equals the traffic of 10 regular Krogers anywhere else in the city, that sort of thing?

I find Kroger's dwindling market share rather surprising, especially considering the number of stores. It seems like there's a Krog's everywhere I turn. Is it all the suburban growth driving the numbers? One Wal Mart in Pearland equals the traffic of 10 regular Krogers anywhere else in the city, that sort of thing?

I think so. Consider that the only place where a WalMart is not nearby is the Inner Loop, home to about 500,000 of Houston's 5.5 million metro population. Just on sheer size and customer numbers, WalMart will dwarf other grocery stores. I still chuckle at the statement that one can buy their clothes and groceries at the WalMart. Ummm.....really?

Who (other than Niche) would buy their clothes at a walmart, when Academy has a sale every week?

The kind of person that doesn't ever pay attention to apparel advertising, only ever buys clothing about twice a year, and even then only does so as an impulse buy because they're reminded of how frayed the tips of their shirt collars are while loading up the shopping cart with cans of Wolf Brand chili and Ramen noodles.

i.e. straight male bachelors <--me

Wal Mart pants are fine. Just don't cheap out on the shoes. ;)

I have three garments of clothing on right now that came from Wal-Mart. All are a-ok. The shoes came from Sears.

Edited by TheNiche

The kind of person that doesn't ever pay attention to apparel advertising, only ever buys clothing about twice a year, and even then only does so as an impulse buy because they're reminded of how frayed the tips of their shirt collars are while loading up the shopping cart with cans of Wolf Brand chili and Ramen noodles.

Are you spying on me?

I buy all my clothes at Target, except when my fiancee makes me dress up, and then I go to Macy's. The Wal-mart by me is too depressing. Everyone seems to be there against their will.

I think so. Consider that the only place where a WalMart is not nearby is the Inner Loop, home to about 500,000 of Houston's 5.5 million metro population. Just on sheer size and customer numbers, WalMart will dwarf other grocery stores. I still chuckle at the statement that one can buy their clothes and groceries at the WalMart. Ummm.....really?

The only clothes I get from Walmart are my T-shirts and boxers. ____ the rest.

lol, you're killing me!

In the spirit of fairness, just last week I bought tights, a tank top, hairspray, a Jason Statham movie ($10 impulse buy at check out!) and wine in a box at Target. I suppose this is the female version of chili, ramen and Wal-Mart pants.

But Wal Mart is still nasty.

Is Niche a centaur?

Dammit! You blew my cover! ...may as well give you the story of my life:

That's me in ancient Rome, back when I was a wild young buck. I was drunk at the time this scene was captured. Don't really remember that evening very clearly.

748px-Sebastiano_Ricci_045.jpg

That's me on the right, in Russia, in 1860. The wound hurt a lot, but I survived.

Bova1860.jpg

And that's me in Paris, carrying off a nymph, in 1892.

398px-Centaur_nymph_Marqueste_Tuileries.jpg

Edited by TheNiche

Typical Niche. The only way he can score a nymph is to chop off her hands and feet.

Come on now, Red. You have to understand the times. This was before Wal-Mart sold denim centaurian overalls, and well...what can I say about nymphs' initial reactions to me that isn't immediately evidenced by the marble(s)? Trust me, bigger isn't always better.

Come on now, Red. You have to understand the times. This was before Wal-Mart sold denim centaurian overalls, and well...what can I say about nymphs' initial reactions to me that isn't immediately evidenced by the marble(s)? Trust me, bigger isn't always better.

I think the nymph's reaction has more to do with your striking resemblance to Ted Kazcynski than to any "bigger is not always better" issues.

tedmug[2]_1.jpg