Christmas Or Holiday Tree?

musicman

Christmas or Holiday Tree  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What should it be called?

• Christmas Tree
    • Holiday Tree

I went to lunch with some coworkers yesterday and the person who's car we were driving around in had Christmas music playing from the radio. What the hell is figgy pudding?

It occured to me then that Christmas is merely an accretion of anachronisms, some dating back millenia, yet seemingly dominated by some romantic conception of Victorian ideals that hold no basis in reality. Nobody really has a good grasp of what Christmas symbolizes anymore, and any one thing that someone might try to pin down is corrupted by a whole mess of extraneous things--yet most everyone indulges in it.

Bah, humbug! ...or maybe I just need to increase my scotch intake.

Since elves have nothing to do with Christianity, I could care less if they change the lyrics to a song about elves. I don't consider that a distortion of Christianity, I consider it a distortion of the commercialized holiday of Christmas. Those are two very different things. Unless I missed the part in the bible about elves. I just can't get worked up about a distortion of a song about elves.

Now if they changed the baby Jesus's name to the "Holiday Baby", THEN I could understand people getting worked up about it. And I'm not even Christian.

People complain too much.

Edited by Jax

Xmas1957a.jpg

Had one of those tin foil trees in 1957 also. Had to light with the rotating carousel that changed colors as it turned, jeez that was cheesy of us!

Loved your pictures. It brought back memories of our neighbor across the street. She always had an aluminum tree with the light wheel. I do believe she cut herself every year putting it up. She was a trooper. Hey, was there a Daisy or Red Ryder BB gun in that tall package? Looks like a package my brother received one christmas... then all the birds in the neighborhood mysteriously began to die....hmmmmm. Once again, thanks for posting these.

Edited by EastEnd Susan

HensonTree1955.jpg

Grandmothers Tree 1955. She always spent days getting her "Hallmark Look" just right.

Edithandthetreein1955.jpg

She hung those tinfoil icicles one at a time, just drove me nuts to watch the painful event.

It's funny all this comes up. I was blessed with the opportunity to be able to revive all this with my family. When my Dad passed away this past March, I found a box of slides when we were going thru his stuff. He had to have 10,000 slides no one knew he had. I think he actually got them from my great uncle Bill when he died, dad wasn't much of a picture taker, but Uncle Bill was camera nut. Anyway he's had these slide all stashed away since 1978 when Bill died I guess. I bought a slide scanner and have been resurrecting them digitally. Am going to show them on a DVD slide show at the family Christmas get together this year in Bryan on the 25th. Should be a hoot, some really really cool stuff from the days of our youth that would have just rotted away if I hadn't run across them. Uncle Bill and Aunt Sissy never had kids and they kinda just used all of us as their surrogate kids growing up. Bill was particularly fond of my pop. Dad always kinda catered to Bill's need for someone to hang out with, kinda just became Bill's unofficial adopted son. I know he left dad in really good shape when he passed away. Bill was a Land-man for Humble (Exxon) for 47 years. Oh well sorry for the minor Hi-jack.

JahnesXmas1960.jpg

Look at this pitiful little tree, I think this is out at my great grandfathers place near North Zulch in 1950. I'll never forget that wallpaper and furniture, like some kind of urban camouflage nightmare from hell. I am sure he cut that Charlie Brown Xmas tree out back in the woods there somewhere. Man what a hideous tree.....

Loved your pictures. It brought back memories of our neighbor across the street. She always had an aluminum tree with the light wheel. I do believe she cut herself every year putting it up. She was a trooper. Hey, was there a Daisy or Red Ryder BB gun in that tall package? Looks like a package my brother received one christmas... then all the birds in the neighborhood mysteriously began to die....hmmmmm. Once again, thanks for posting these.

Yep that was a Red Rider BB Gun as a matter of fact, nice catch. And not only did I get the Red Rider BB Gun. But my cousins and I got the three amigos garb the year before. That Yours truly in the middle in 1954, what a scary sight. Talk about Happy Days

TheThreeAmigos-BeckerXmas1954.jpg

Any of you Long time Bryan folk out there will recognize these other two bandits. You that use Gilmore Electric, well that's the owner on the left my cousin Philip, and any Highway department department workers and those of you that voted in your Road and Bridge Comissioner, there he is on the right, My other cousin Kirk. can you dig those rexall hats they have on. Those were "City Boys" they lived in town in Bryan. I lived out on the Dairy on Dilly Shaw Tap. I already had a hat, it was standard issue out there.

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

You should start a new post with just your christmas pics on it. I for one am really enjoying them. They even make me a little misty remembering christmas past. Looks like you had a very happy childhood just like my brother and I did.

• 11 months later...

Boy, those Christmas pictures are great! :lol: Just when I'd thought I had seen everything. Cowboys were so "in" then, & Aluminum Christmas trees. I grew up believing only rich people had those colored, twirling things for the tree.

Boy, those Christmas pictures are great! :lol: Just when I'd thought I had seen everything. Cowboys were so "in" then, & Aluminum Christmas trees. I grew up believing only rich people had those colored, twirling things for the tree.

Ask & yee shall receive Nena. I remember just having to touch the wheel as it spinned, and it would was hot! Kid curiosity. :blush:

web_color_wheel.jpgaluminum-christmas-tree.jpg

Edited by Vertigo58

Ask & yee shall receive Nena. I remember just having to touch the wheel as it spinned, and it would was hot! Kid curiosity. :blush:

web_color_wheel.jpgaluminum-christmas-tree.jpg

Muy Caliente...guess what I saw last night, Christmas lights on a house, "on" of course. Already? It's not even Thansgiving, yet.

And about the tree name, I even refer to some trees that are in peoples yards as Christmas trees, if they look like them. I am glad that kids are learning about all the different religions, though, and their traditions...I grew up in a very sheltered environment, didn't have a clue what Hannukah was. Don't think that was particularly a good thing.