Feds Put Brakes On Two Metro Lrt Lines

PuroAztlan

He sure did if that is the only thing you can come up with. You are seriously grasping if that is your best smack. Pathetic really.

Not as bad as this one. Btw, nice edit.

What's with the hurt feelings around here, we can't have a discussion without resorting to lame personal attacks?

a reply to your statement they are trains. No more dangerous than any other trains though.

Right. Light rail is no more more dangerous than the train that killed that dude in 1971. Were you trying to add something, or just trying to teach me some Texas history?

a reply to your statement they are trains. No more dangerous than any other trains though.
Right. And your response CONFIRMED that they are not more dangerous than other trains. You proved that OTHER trains are more dangerous.Step away from the Old Crow bottle, musicman. :lol:
What's with the hurt feelings around here, we can't have a discussion without resorting to lame personal attacks?
What, are your feelings hurt? I'm sorry, the toy train thing really was clever. Really. No, I mean it.

Right. And your response CONFIRMED that they are not more dangerous than other trains. You proved that OTHER trains are more dangerous.

Step away from the Old Crow bottle, musicman. :lol:

no crow tonight....yes other trains are more dangerous than light rail.

What, are your feelings hurt? I'm sorry, the toy train thing really was clever. Really. No, I mean it.

Wow, sarcasm, thats original.

You should make sense when you post, and next time wait a few posts before you ripoff one of mine completely.

And stop fake laughing., its a show of desperation.

Wow, sarcasm, thats original.You should make sense when you post, and next time wait a few posts before you ripoff one of mine completely.And stop fake laughing., its a show of desperation.
This thread is really getting to you, isn't it?
That's funny. But now I've got this image in my head that you rail-debating HAIF guys look like those Sonic nerds. Tots and ice-creamy treats notwithstanding, ewww.
Oh PLEASE! I don't look like those losers!I look like Jered from Subway.

Well ain't this a kick in the pants? On saturday, I went with my church choir to sing at a ribbon cutting ceremony at Palm Center (hard to believe that now stoic, sad, sterile looking place used to be a live, bustling, happy shopping center). I don't think this will stop the lines from being built, but it's certainly an interesting development. If federal funding is denied, can't they use state or local funding to build it?

Feds: Metro ignored October warning

Rail delays were predicted if board voted to change plans

Before Metro's board voted in October to rework its plan for new rapid transit lines, the agency's president was warned by the Federal Transit Administration that such a change could result in delays and force a return to the drawing board, federal officials said Wednesday.

That message was repeated with far greater detail when Metropolitan Transit Authority President Frank Wilson met with FTA officials in Washington on Nov. 14, FTA Associate Administrator Wes Irvin said.

"There was no blindsiding from this agency to Houston Metro," Irvin said.

Wilson said this week that the FTA's decision to withdraw its preliminary engineering approval for rail lines planned for the North and Southeast corridors, officially outlined in a letter to Metro on Friday, came as a shock.

If Metro can satisfy the FTA's requests within two months, which Wilson called "the most optimistic" scenario, he said there would be no construction delays. Metro has projected it would complete all five lines by late 2012.

"If we have to take the more draconian read on how much work we've got to do ... we are probably looking at a year

Edited by musicman

So we're looking at best case no delay and worst case a year on the North and Southesast lines, right? And still no delay on the University and Uptown Lines. Is that correct? I'm not sure if that qualifies as foot shooting but maybe in your mind it does.

That news you posted is still nothing new. We still just have to wait and see whether or not things are going to be delayed.

So we're looking at best case no delay and worst case a year on the North and Southesast lines, right? And still no delay on the University and Uptown Lines. Is that correct? I'm not sure if that qualifies as foot shooting but maybe in your mind it does.

That news you posted is still nothing new. We still just have to wait and see whether or not things are going to be delayed.

Intergovernmental pissing match. Wow. That's something we haven't seen before.

The U Line was not affected, since it was always planned as light rail. The Uptown Line is also not affected, since it will be self-funded. So, yeah, we're only talking the other two lines. If anyone has ever read one of these reports, you can tell that much of it is repeated for any type of system. Since the light rail and BRT would use the exact same route and have the exact same footprint, it will not be a complete do-over. Sounds to me like a 0 to 6 month delay, tops.

Even at a one year delay, METRO's plan will have the lines running sooner than we all believed 6 months ago. And, in the world of federal funding, one year is a blink of an eye. But, to a METRO detractor, any news is good news. It doesn't stop anything, but they get to claim this means something. Similar to a penalty on a winning football drive. They still score, but they have to work a little harder to do it.

Feds: Metro ignored October warning

Rail delays were predicted if board voted to change plans

full article

Looks like METRO shot themselves in the foot

"FTA is simply following the law," Culberson said. "Common sense tells you that if you apply for a loan to buy a Chevrolet, when the bank approves the loan, you can't turn around and use the money to buy a Rolls-Royce."

Thats a pretty funny line.. and as much as culberson is a douche, i don't disagree with his analogy.

I do agree though, it does seem Metro did this to themselves. However, If the only result ends up being a 6-12 month delay for 2 of the lines.. okay really.. who cares. No biggie really when we've waited this long, and personally, it won't effect the lines i'd be riding anyways.

For the people that would be using them... 6 month delay or BRT... whats worse ?

It will be a much bigger issue of shooting yourself in the foot if we lose funding or whatever benefits we were supposed to reap from being one of the three cities part of the federal pilot program.

Maybe i just don't get it, but how can FTA say that Metro is turning the deal around when everyone originally voted for LRT back in 2003? The 2005 revised plan is what was turned around to do that crap BRT in the first place. I see a contradiction in this somewhere. Am i the only one?

I see a contradiction in this somewhere. Am i the only one?

Yes, you are. Insofar as the referendum allows METRO to built LRT or BRT, the FTA doesn't care what is actually chosen. But In order to grant federal funding, it takes more than that voters of a municipality want it; it requires an environmental impact study to assess whether it is worthy of funding.

I'd argue that the methodology of those studies are on the whole pretty much worthless, but the FTA has to at least go through the motions of the process so as to plausibly appear fair-minded as it allocates its limited funding to some cities' proposed projects and not others.

Edited by TheNiche

Niche is spot on. In addition, this whole thing is not a big deal. All METRO did was say let the study we already conducted suffice for the LRT. FTA said No. So, METRO has to rework the study to be more specific to LRT. I don't blame METRO for trying to save a little time and work, even if FTA told them it would not happen. It never hurts to ask. Suggestions that METRO "was warned" mean little to nothing. In my business, I am told No every day. That doesn't mean that I am not going to ask again tomorrow. My clients do not pay me to take No for an answer, and I am glad METRO doesn't either.

Frankly, I assumed when METRO changed to LRT that they would have to redo everything anyway. I'm glad they at least tried to shorten things up. I don't blame them for asking, just as I don't blame FTA for acting like a federal agency. That is what they do.

OK, you all can go back to your METRO bashing now.

If METRO submitted EIS documents and New Starts applications that said "Bus Rapid Transit" for the North and Southeast corridors, and received a Record of Decision from the FTA to build "Bus Rapid Transit" on those corridors, then I think it's perfectly acceptable for the FTA to require new documentation when METRO later decides to build "Light Rail Transit" instead of "Bus Rapid Transit" on said corridors. I really don't know what Frank Wilson is complaining about.

The new documents will be submitted, the FTA will review them, and the process will continue. I really think this is much ado about nothing.

Just received this "News Flash" from Metro:

Recent news reports about METRO and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) may have left the false impression that two of Houston's five proposed light rail lines are in jeopardy. They are not.

We do not expect delays on the start of construction, which is scheduled for next spring.

The Federal government already has the vast majority of information needed to evaluate these light rail projects.

METRO is working aggressively to provide the federal government the remaining documentation requested.