Feds Put Brakes On Two Metro Lrt Lines

PuroAztlan

What do you mean good? Plans aren't canceled. Metro is just required to give out more studies. Christof said it best:

Christof Spieler, an engineer who writes a transportation blog for the Citizens' Transportation Coalition, an advocacy group that supports rail, said the letter might cause a delay but does not appear devastating to Metro's plans.

"This sounds like the kind of thing that's to be expected when an agency makes a massive change relatively late in the process," Spieler said, referring to Metro's decision to build light rail in all five corridors.

What do you mean good? Plans aren't canceled.

Yea but they're doing a "re-study" which means funding can still be denied.

I never saw any good in these trains, they're just magnets for Houstons accident prone, idiot drivers.

A subway, sure. A street level train that basically does the same thing as a bus but impedes traffic and left turns? No thanks.

"Rep. John Culberson, R-Houston, who has been a persistent critic of Metro's plans, could not be reached for comment Tuesday."

Ya' think he's lurking in this somewhere?

Yes, it will be more expensive, and by golly there's a war going on out there <_< , but why should new environmental studies be needed? On the surface, it would seem that the choo-choo has less impact than a bus. Maybe the "toot-toot" noise effect needs to evaluated. :rolleyes:

It's not so surprising to me that they have to submit another report. That doesn't seem like a really big deal to me. Nobody is even saying at this point whether it is going to cause any delays or not, so all we can do is wait and see what happens.

I hope these lines are built on time. I know I will be using them often.

I'm sick of these "rail vs. anti-rail" discussions we have already had in multiple threads. I see the same discussion happening, with the only difference being the fact that "Puro Aztlan" is in this thread. Is it possible to discuss the implications of the latest news without comments like "Who needs these little toy trains anyway?" ? We've already gone over that a thousand times.

Edited by Jax

I'm wondering about that "environmental impact", too. Wouldn't fumes from the buses eject more pollution than a light rail train running on electricity?

Different kinds of pollution, emitted in different places.

...but it actually doesn't matter all that much. Environmental Impact Statements are toothless by design. Something that was actually a rigorous study would occasionally result in pork not being approved. It's all lies, damned lies and statistics.

It's not so surprising to me that they have to submit another report. That doesn't seem like a really big deal to me. Nobody is even saying at this point whether it is going to cause any delays or not, so all we can do is wait and see what happens. I hope these lines are built on time. I know I will be using them often. I'm sick of these rail vs. anti-rail discussions we have already had in multiple threads. I see the same discussion happening, with the only difference being the fact that "Puro Aztlan" is in this thread. Is it possible to discuss the implications of the latest news without comments like "Who needs these little toy trains anyway?" ? We've already gone over that a thousand times.

I really don't think we need those little toy trains. Why do you?

So what can we expect out of all this? Is light rail going to be delayed for another 5-10 years? I was really excited and hopeful for Houston that it was on its way to having an effective transportation system.

Each car holds up to 220 people and they can attach two cars together (on my way home from Rice at 6:30 today they were runing double cars with standing room only).

I don't know how that compares to a typical subway though.

EDIT: Montreal's subway for comparison holds 160 people per car, but I don't know how many cars they typically run at one time.

Edited by Jax

Why do you keep calling them toy-trains?

That's what the anti-railers say in a feeble attempt to be clever.

Funny thing, though. I've never seen one of them offer to stand in front of one of these 98,000 pound toys. Guess clever only goes so far.

Light Rail is the term adopted by the federal government to describe city streetcar systems, intended to carry passengers, from heavy rail trains, that primarily run between cities, and carry either freight or passengers. AmTrak is heavy rail. METRO uses light rail. The terminology has nothing to do with the size or weight of the trains.

Edited by RedScare