Woodland Heights Information & Developments

InTheHeights

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=44631564&class=2

This is a listing that piqued my interest. Its seems like a very nice opportunity to escape renting, but I wonder if any others might have some other insight or issues.

Some potential drawbacks

1) Its pretty close to the bayou although it seems to built up high enough to avoid a significant flooding event

2) Adjacent to an older apartment community

Thanks

I have been in one of them. It's small but the floor plan was very nice. Some of them did flood during Allison. Ask for the Sellers Disclosure form. Ask what the maintenance fee covers.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://search.har.co...4631564&class=2

This is a listing that piqued my interest. Its seems like a very nice opportunity to escape renting, but I wonder if any others might have some other insight or issues.

Some potential drawbacks

1) Its pretty close to the bayou although it seems to built up high enough to avoid a significant flooding event

2) Adjacent to an older apartment community

Thanks

You should definitley check out efloodmap.com - panel 0670. Looks like it is in a floodzone. You may have to buy flood insurance at a higher rate and it's due upfront every year. During Allison, I knew someone that lived there and most of those condos flooded into the first floor-even some on the "higher" south side. Also, if in a flood zone you may have a harder time sellling it in the future. Check the information out yourself - don't listen to what the seller or realtor says.

Seems like a pretty low maintenance, if that $330 is accurate...

Not to highjack, but when I was looking at townhouse/condos a couple of years ago (changed my mind) I would have dismissed one with a fee that high without even looking at it. Many, if not most, of the newer "fee simple" townhouses have no fees, or much smaller ones that pay for less things than the older complexes. $330 a month spent on mortgage gets a lot more house.

Not to highjack, but when I was looking at townhouse/condos a couple of years ago (changed my mind) I would have dismissed one with a fee that high without even looking at it. Many, if not most, of the newer "fee simple" townhouses have no fees, or much smaller ones that pay for less things than the older complexes. $330 a month spent on mortgage gets a lot more house.

330 for 1100 square feet is pretty good, depending on what exactly it covers.

I pay less than that for 1100 sq ft in Midtown - with pool, conierge, gym, etc....that seems high to me...

I think it's a question of age. Assuming that your place in Midtown is relatively new, there shouldn't be much need for repairs yet so the dues can be lower. Whereas the place under discussion is older and it may be getting time for things to get repaired/replaced.

Beware any townhouse/condo where the dues are too LOW! Low dues can lead to lack of funds to adequately maintain the property. And even if you spend your own money to maintain your place, a poorly maintained place next door will still be an eyesore and drain on your property value if you try to sell.

From my experience, those dues sound about right for a place of that price.

• 4 years later...

It's only funny because it's not my lawn.

HOUSTON - Police in Houston are looking for a man who has been defecating in the yards and driveways of some homes in the Woodland Heights neighborhood. Neighbors say one home has been hit six times. One fed up homeowner placed a surveillance camera in a tree and captured images of the man they believe is behind the poop. Police say they are now actively looking for the suspect.

Read More at: http://www.news4sanantonio.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/man-poops-front-lawns-neighbors-fed-up-11402.shtml?wap=0#.U2sBE8S9KSM

Please someone make a NO HUMAN POOP sign for their lawn. Seriously, this shit isnt funny.

Then someone will feel entitled to allow their dog to let loose.  

At one time someone was living in an unplumbed garage in the same general area and tossing their chamber pot contents into the gutter, a là medieval London.

• The title was changed to North Of Arnes
  • The title was changed to The Rocks On The Shoulder