Anything You Want

gwilson

I'm contacting my councilpersons to tell them criminalizing charity is nothing to brag about. Didn't some dude named Jesus feed a bunch of homeless people bread and fish once upon a time? Did he get fined $2,000 for his act of kindness?

I generally have little use for preachers, but when they finally do something worthwhile, such as feeding the less fortunate, the LAST thing I am going to do is attempt to punish them for it. James Rodriguez should be ashamed. Enforce littering rules if you must. But limiting the feeding areas because some people get grossed out at seeing homeless people is ridiculous.

No one is grossed out. It's a matter of safety. The homeless dart out into traffic and litter is left everywhere. They will still be able to feed the homeless... so no one is stopping that. There are tons of organizations better equipped to help the homeless (Search, etc.) and the churches should donate to them if they want to help. The reality is that preachers want a flock to preach to, and they use food as a way to get a crowd. They've been offered chances to help at places like Search but they turned them down because they wanted to run everything their own way.

So, the aim is to stifle freedom of speech and religion afterall. I am even more disgusted. There are litter ordinances to deal with the trash. Inform the churches that it will be enforced. I have to say, in all my years working downtown, I have never once seen a homeless person "dart", into traffic, or anywhere else. "Darting" is simply not something that the homeless do. Now, if you claimed they "shuffled", I may have bought it. But, "dart"? I call hyperbole.

This is nothing more than another attempt by the City to hide the homeless from those who are disgusted by them.

1. How is this stifling free speech? Churches can preach anything they want to. This just keeps them off private property.

2. Litter laws are enforced against people right now (which does no good for the homeless). Forcing the churches to pick up after themselves and their patrons seems like a fair request.

3. Yes, dart (and shuffle). Come watch people under Pierce elevated on a Saturday/Sunday. I think no one has been hit yet because traffic is slow on those mornings.

4. How is the city trying to "hide" them when they are inviting them into city parks? Under Pierce elevated and 59 is hiding. Bringing them into a controlled public park isn't hiding them at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I went a little crazy when I saw the that douche' location name was picked alongside the "Stadium" station. In fact, I had a (admittedly) insane argument when someone said "EaDo" in a conversation.

What surprised them was how many people were nodding their heads as they were agreeing with me.

I would guess MAS = masonry and PRI = primary?

Hrm... I'm not sure. I took at a look at the house over the weekend. The original owners added 400 sq ft sunroom to the house. It looks as if it were part of the original structure (doesnt look bad at all). Maybe they redid the exterior when they added the sunroom.

I went to the Original Marini's Empanada House this weekend. For a suburban style building, it was awesome. The patio felt very cozy. I think there was also a starbucks around the corner which shared the same patio.

http://www.theoriginalmarinis.com/

Anyone else been there?

Yes, this place is great. Everything is handmade and they are incredibly friendly. Highly recommended to all.

Just east of the beltway on the south side of Westheimer. Empanadas were good, but my post was more about the building.

It is one of the more interesting strip centers. Been there a bunch of times over the years and never even noticed the Original Marini's..

• 2 months later...

Yeah, expanses of fluffy insulation can give a surreal look to an area. However, even though I have only laid 1/3 of the attic, there is already a noticeable difference. In the past, my AC could not keep up during very hot days. Even though the thermostat may be set at 78, the interior temp would creep up to 80 or more in the late afternoon. Yesterday, it never crept up, and by 8:30 pm, the AC was back to cycling, as opposed to running continuously. Last summer, the AC would run continuously until 11;30 or midnight. Of course, it "only" got up to 96 degrees yesterday. We'll see how it does today at 98.

Another pic...

AtticInsulationR-302.jpg

Edited by RedScare

Your attic insulation looks very neat and geometric. I added a bunch of insulation to my attic a year ago last winter (on a cold day :)), and it looks pretty haphazard, but then again I have to crawl through much tighter spaces to reach mine thanks to a split attic. Prior to adding more insulation, my house would reach 82-83 on a average hot summer afternoon with the AC running continuously, or 85-87 on a really hot day. Now I can easily keep it at 77-78 (even 75-76 if I want) on a 99-degree day like today, and even then it occasionally cycles. Part of this is due to adding wall insulation, which I had professionally done. I suspect last summer would have been unbearable or would've required adding window AC units if not for the added insulation -- so it paid itself off pretty quickly. It's also noticeably quieter in the house. Good luck and stay cool.

Yeah, it looks all neat and orderly there because that is the open area. Behind me in that photograph are the AC duct runs, which, although hung from the rafters, will still make it hard to simply roll the insulation out as I did in the photo. Today was noticeably warmer. I had to quit before noon, whereas yesterday I laid insulation until 1:00 pm.

It is good to hear that you got such good results from your retrofit. I toyed with putting insulation in my walls, but since the HAHC is refusing to allow replacement of siding...and I refuse to do it from the inside, or use foam...that is not looking very likely. I hope to get enough results from the attic insulation that it suffices.

There is one other option that I found last night that I had never thought of before. A guy added a false wall inside his house adjacent to his existing wall, and insulated that. In his case, he ended up with double insulated walls at R-30. In my case, it would be R-15, as the exterior wall would still be uninsulated. But, that is better than nothing. In my house, it would reduce square footage by only 38 square feet...hardly noticeable...and I would end up with some nice deep window ledges. Something to think about, and not terribly expensive.

Yeah, it looks all neat and orderly there because that is the open area. Behind me in that photograph are the AC duct runs, which, although hung from the rafters, will still make it hard to simply roll the insulation out as I did in the photo. Today was noticeably warmer. I had to quit before noon, whereas yesterday I laid insulation until 1:00 pm.

It is good to hear that you got such good results from your retrofit. I toyed with putting insulation in my walls, but since the HAHC is refusing to allow replacement of siding...and I refuse to do it from the inside, or use foam...that is not looking very likely. I hope to get enough results from the attic insulation that it suffices.

There is one other option that I found last night that I had never thought of before. A guy added a false wall inside his house adjacent to his existing wall, and insulated that. In his case, he ended up with double insulated walls at R-30. In my case, it would be R-15, as the exterior wall would still be uninsulated. But, that is better than nothing. In my house, it would reduce square footage by only 38 square feet...hardly noticeable...and I would end up with some nice deep window ledges. Something to think about, and not terribly expensive.

Interesting idea with the false walls, that would provide some heavy-duty insulating.

I had cellulose foam sprayed from the inside walls for mine. It required drilling two quarter-sized holes between every set of studs, and the process is very messy and fills every speck of the house with loads of dust. It's also a pleasant-weather job since you need the windows open to clear the air afterwards. Of course, it required patching, retexturing, and repainting all the affected walls...not a lot of fun. But it was relatively cheap, and like begin in the attic in a hot day, you really appreciate it when it's all done.

Scare, the people we bought our house from in Timbergrove had cellulose blown in in the mid 90's. The took off the top row of siding (cedar shakes) and filled the cavities. You could probably do that with fiberglass without a historic morons commission permit. We will have to replace our siding fairly soon. at that point, we will remove all of the insulation, OK it will fall out, then have an electrician replace th etwo wire electrical with grounded, and put in fiberglass batts. Then, new tyvek, nailers, and new cedar. I can't wait to see how much damage the AC drain has done over the years...

Just a little update. I am now 2/3 finished rolling insulation. I hope to finish this weekend. Since it is not completely covered, it is a bit difficult to see big changes in the cooling patterns. However, I have noticed a couple of things. In the past, my AC would run continuously from 10:30 or 11:00 am until 11:00 pm or midnight. Last summer, it sometimes did not return to cycling until 2:00 or 3:00 am! This week, even with 3 100 degree days, the AC returned to cycling by 8:30 to 10:00 pm. That is a significant improvement. Also, whereas the interior temperature would rise to 82 or 83 in the past, it never went higher than 81 this week, and then only once. The other days it went only to 80. Today, the AC cycled all day, although the high was only about 93, and it is was overcast for a decent portion of the day.

Still, I am encouraged that once I have the entire attic covered, that the AC will be able to keep up. If it does, and returns to cycling at a respectable hour, say 8:00 pm, I'll be happy.

Alright! The rain dropped the temps in my attic drastically, allowing me to finish up early. Nice and quiet without the AC running constantly. I'm curious what results will be once we get back to the high 90s and sunshine.

AtticR-30.jpg

Edited by RedScare

And the finishing touch...

Attichatch.jpg

I had some unused windows screens that just happen to be the exact same size as my attic hatch opening. So, I put a screen over the opening, laid a couple of batts on it, and it lays on top of the ladder once I close the hatch. Pretty sweet.

• Like 1