Memories Of Third Ward

Deut28Thirteen

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drake, you mentioned the Exxon. When I was a little girl, there used to be a Jack in the Box there and we'd walk to it sometimes. Those shops next to it used to have a U-Totem convienence store and a Baskin and Robbins Ice Cream : ) The U-Totems are no longer in business as far as I know, but they were a bit like 7-11's. It was similar to what's there now, but it was nicer. That Jack in the Box was torn down sometime in the mid 80's and the lot stayed vacant until the Exxon arrived some years ago.

Did you know that they are going to build a Harris County library in that vacant lot on the corner of Griggs and MLK? I heard about it on the radio. I've only been to one county library and it was the one past the east beltway.

Yeah, where Maxie Hair salon used to be?

What used to be there anyway? And why is that business opposite of Exxon so unsuccessful. Last time i checked, it's being turned into a car electronics installation place.

I don't think it will be a "county" library. Those are built outside the city in the unincorporated areas.

I thought that was strange too when I heard it. We will have to wait and see. I heard it on 90.1 a few months ago.

Yeah, where Maxie Hair salon used to be?

What used to be there anyway? And why is that business opposite of Exxon so unsuccessful. Last time i checked, it's being turned into a car electronics installation place.

I have foggy memories of it being a restaurant called Kips Big Boy. It was cool because of the 'Big Boy' statue in the front holding a hamburger lol. This was way back in the 70's.

As for that other area, I only remember it being a 'Kings' building with various things through the years. Mostly food. Nothing seems to last very long there.

No, I don't remember that car incident. I don't venture back there lol. As for as the what used to be where the park is, It stayed vacant for a long time, but when I was little, it was a mini shopping strip center. One of the businesses was a beauty salon that was owned by one of my mom's friends. This was way back in the late 70's to early 80's. In fact, if you go to Google Earth, you can do a history and see when this area was just a field....circa 1943. : ) I was curious about it too.

I have foggy memories of it being a restaurant called Kips Big Boy. It was cool because of the 'Big Boy' statue in the front holding a hamburger lol. This was way back in the 70's.

As for that other area, I only remember it being a 'Kings' building with various things through the years. Mostly food. Nothing seems to last very long there.

Ang, I went to that Kip's, as a kid, was probably late '60's, early '70's. There was a pharmacy down the street I remember going into once, and an auto body shop with a huge neon sign, had a microscope with car on slide, kind of sign. Was very large! Anyone remember that? I think the sign was on that street. May be mistaken.

• The title was changed to Do Any Of You Guys Have Old Pictures Of My Neighborhood?
  • The title was changed to Memories Of Third Ward

Archived