Pros and Cons of your Gated Community

fitzy24

Pros/cons of your gated community? For those who live in gated communities...

1) What kind of gated community do you live in?

2) What are the pros/cons?

3) Do you really feel secure?

4) Would you live in an open (non-gated) community?

I'd also like to hear from those who would like to live in a gated community and those who do not live in a gated community.

Thanks.<script language=JavaScript>

Well I guess I should give my opinion since I started this thread. I am mixed on this. To me, I feel the occupants of a gated community have a false sense of security within those gates. I don't think they are 100% secure. If a criminal element wants to get in, they'll get in. They will find a way. I also wonder about being secure from criminal elements on the outside, what about your neighbors? They could be white collar criminals. I also see it as an upscale segregated colony. I remember, I saw a gated community years ago in Louisiana and it was the first time I saw one. I didn't know what to think except maybe these were scared white folks trying to keep black folks away from them. I was young and naive. Of course, about a year ago some young punks broke into my home while I wasn't there and was looking for some valuables to steal. They didn't find any. I somewhat think differently about gated communities. If I could afford it, I wouldn't mind purchasing a home in one.

there maybe a sense of security, but it involves more of a displayed status symbol, perhaps.

of course, i lived in a gated community once, but it was an apartment complex :P

i don't recall seeing them growing up in the immediate Houston area (only gated houses, like in RO), so i associate gates with apartment complexes and living "out there."

It's the equivalent of having a giant middle finger at the front of your neighborhood.

I can't tell you how many times I've visited friends who live in gated communities and had to go through the hassle of writing down the code to get in, half the time not getting the gate to open and having to call the person to have them buzz me in. We briefly lived in the Middle East when I was younger because of my dad's job and I remember everyone living in little gated "compounds". At least there they had somewhat legitimate security reasons for having them. But most gated communities around here are out in the lily white sticks where crime rates are already low anyway. And if someone really wants to get into your house, they'll find a way past the gate.

What many people don't know is that electric gates that operate on a hinge and swing open inward (as opposed to the ones that slide open) can be manually overridden. You just very gently nudge the gate with your car (or pushing it with your bare hands) and it will swing open. There is hardly ever actually a "locking" mechanism on those types of gates that keeps them shut.

Also, does anyone know what fire/police/EMS people do when they get a call from someone in a gated community? Would they have to pray the person in need of assistance is able to buzz the gate open for them when they arrive?

I live in a gated neighborhood, but I don't like it (the gate, not the neighborhood). I'd prefer the gate wasn't there. Nothing but a big hassle to wait for it to open and it doesn't really keep anyone out who wants in. All they have to do is wait for someone to open it for them and then follow them in.

But it was the house we wanted at the price we wanted and it happened to be inside a gate. I like the neighborhood, and it is certainly far from "lilly white." The gate sucks, but it's a minor issue compared to the other things I was looking for in home shopping (i.e. right house, right price). If people think I'm snobby because of the gate, well, that's their problem, not mine.

I've had several clients that lived in gated communities and I have to agree with CDeb. It also creates a bit of psychological bit of false security. I'm appalled at how many people leave their homes unlocked!

The conversation sometimes goes like this:

Me: "Excellent, I'll be there at <time>."

Them: "Great! Just go through the side door, it's unlocked."

Me: "Okay, what's the alarm code, or will you program one for me?"

Them: "I never turn on the alarm unless it's at night."

I mean, geez! :wacko:

I have never lived in a gated commune, but wouldn't mind it at all. If I had a choice, I would much more prefer having an HPD car parked in front of my yard any day.

You should see the gated communities on the west coast by the ocean. Beautiful and expensive yes. Ground starts rumbling or hard rains come (slides) you'll want to come back to Texas. :lol:

There are many more gated communities in San Antonio than in Houston. I don't understand why but it's something I've noticed. It's not just expensive homes either, it's very much $100's and up.

While there are some higher-priced homes in my neighborhood, there are also plenty of houses (including mine) in the $150's.

I live in a gated community but I wish there was a manned guard

an ordinary gate is pointless as you can easily get the code. i even saw a realtor's website where it listed the codes to each home for sale in gated communities.

one of the pros is no annoying salesman and flyers all over my porch.

Edited by felamy

Yeah, I've never kidded myself and had any added sense of security because of the gate.

Doesn't mean I won't advertise it as such when I go to sell the place ;)

We moved to one of the new small gated communities in Houston. The gate only serves to give a false sense of security. The past week or so the gate has gotten stuck quarter of the way and the dang thing can't be closed or opened. Plus even when it worked one needed to close it after one entered or exited the premises. And most people never bothered to.

Personally, I prefer a more natural, open neighborhood and find gates to be to seclusionary and isolating... but that's just my personal preference to neighborhoods. I also think that gated communities provide only a false sense of security, it's not uncommon to hear about robberies, etc inside gated communities. But I guess if it makes you feel safer and gives you piece of mind than that's ok too.

I live near the Royal Oaks neighborhood on the west side of Houston. Its a high end home development, from 300's to millions.

They have a 12 foot brick fence around the neighborhood, and a security guard at their two entrances. I love it!

Ive never had any problems with my house, because I have a big security gate around my front entrance, lots of lighting, and big sturdy fences around the sides and back of my house, but nothing would beat the security of Royal Oaks compared to my place.

Prior to moving to the Heights, I lived in a gated condo complex. Initially, I appreciated the gates, but they quickly became annoying. I had to go outside to let anyone in...first, into the parking lot, then into the fenced inner area. As others mentioned, occasionally, thieves got in to burglarize cars, so the gates were not that effective. The annoyance far outweighed the perceived benefits. The only gate I have now is across my driveway. I have had no problems (in either location).

As others mentioned, occasionally, thieves got in to burglarize cars, so the gates were not that effective. The annoyance far outweighed the perceived benefits.

And that's the assumption that gated communities are based on; the bad guys are "out there", and that's probably correct for the most part, in the beginning of the community's life cycle, anyway.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when some of these places "go ghetto" in the future and the bad guys live on the inside. :ph34r:

Gated communities is filled with people who don't have time to mow there grass and they never talk to there nab, ect... the best hood is where everyone know one another.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I guess I should give my opinion since I started this thread. I am mixed on this. To me, I feel the occupants of a gated community have a false sense of security within those gates. I don't think they are 100% secure. If a criminal element wants to get in, they'll get in. They will find a way. I also wonder about being secure from criminal elements on the outside, what about your neighbors? They could be white collar criminals. I also see it as an upscale segregated colony. I remember, I saw a gated community years ago in Louisiana and it was the first time I saw one. I didn't know what to think except maybe these were scared white folks trying to keep black folks away from them. I was young and naive. Of course, about a year ago some young punks broke into my home while I wasn't there and was looking for some valuables to steal. They didn't find any. I somewhat think differently about gated communities. If I could afford it, I wouldn't mind purchasing a home in one.

Even though you say "if a criminal elements wants to get in, they'll get in.", true but a gated community reduces the number of criminals and also makes it harder for them to get in. Now, imagine there wasn't a gate, all kinds of people will be able to drive up whenever they want. Having a gate forces them to have to find another way to get in. This deters some criminals. All one can do is be as careful as you can be because I don't think you can be 100% safe unless you have guards at each entries and dogs guarding the house.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in a guard gated community. I chose this community for two reasons. One, I loved my home, it was perfect for my husband and I, and two, my inlaws live about 1 -1 1/2 miles away, and I wanted to keep them out. We are private people, and they have a habit of having an "open door" policy. Not for us. Yes, the criminal element can still get in, and yes, it is not perfect, gates do break.

We have lived in other gated communities, in other states, and it is pretty much all the same. However, the short time we have lived here in the Houston area, crime has gone up significantly, and when my husband travels, I feel much better knowing there is a live 24 hour person on duty, and security cameras thruought. Call it a peace of mind. :rolleyes:

Pros/cons of your gated community? For those who live in gated communities...

1) What kind of gated community do you live in?

2) What are the pros/cons?

3) Do you really feel secure?

4) Would you live in an open (non-gated) community?

I'd also like to hear from those who would like to live in a gated community and those who do not live in a gated community.

Thanks.<script language=JavaScript>