Drivers with no respect

sifuwong

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

growing up overseas and in other large cities, honking just seems a way of life...living in houston, it just seems/ed odd when i moved here...

my neighbors across the street have visitors who honk so that the people home will know they've arrived. seems like a knock on the door or a ring of the doorbell could do the same thing and not disturb people.

i can't understand why people don't get the centre reverse lane on w. alabama. i have almost gotten in near accidents driving in the centre lane because some do not know a what red X/no left or right turn sign means; then get mad when i start honking/flashing lights at them to get out of the way, at the same time creating a mess behind me as people try to get around....

I'm with you 100% - the absolute worst of it is at W. Alabama/Montrose, where half the time some jack a$$ is trying to make a left...isn't that breaking two laws at once? Why can't people get it?? I'm wondering if more signs are needed? Honestly, I can imagine being confused if it was my first time driving down as I can't remember using a reverse lane anywhere else in Houston

I'm with you 100% - the absolute worst of it is at W. Alabama/Montrose, where half the time some jack a$$ is trying to make a left...isn't that breaking two laws at once? Why can't people get it?? I'm wondering if more signs are needed? Honestly, I can imagine being confused if it was my first time driving down as I can't remember using a reverse lane anywhere else in Houston

or red flashing lights in the ground like on some of the streets crossing the light rail line, just as a reminder that red means stop for those that don't get it... *sarcasm* ;)

Yes, but honking isn't necessarily insulting, by any means. Honking is frequently the only way you have of communicating with other drivers. The tone of the honk, say long versus short toot, says a lot. I'm not going to worry about whether people like it or not when others honk. They need to think about why they are being honked at.

-for example, when there is a merge because of a lane ending, are people in the ending lane just rude, or do they not know what the sign means? (unless of course there is the painfully obvious "right/left lanes ends" sign).

Depends on how you look at it.

A) THAT lane is ending.. why are they waiting till the last second to get into MY lane...

vs.

B)These two lanes become one.. at that point up there, people in each lane should do the zipper maneuver - 1 from left lane, 1 from right lane, repeat.

Two lanes become one.. Not... that lane joined mine.

I see it as B... There is no way I'm going to put myself an extra 20 cars behind if a lane, soon to be merged, is empty, while the other is stop and go.

That being said.... if its not a merge situation, and it is just aholes not wanting to wait...

e.g. 610 Northbound feeder at Westheimer during afternoon rush hr... people in the third over lane trying to turn left on to Westheimer when the 2nd lane has the turn or go strait option...

That kind of last second crap i don't do and won't tolerate. I will do everything within my power, including riding bumpers, and/or shadowing /breaking/accelerating the exact same as the guy to my right trying to get over.. i will even turn wide and feign going strait to force that person to continue strait on the feeder....

I get great satisfaction out of thwarting would be ahole drivers plans.....

Now that i think of it.. I'm prolly one of the ass drivers you all hate... Hi !!

ADD: Because.. sometimes the signs are obviously wrong.. esp on freeway interchange ramps.

E.G. 610 N ramp to I-10 West... I believe the sign there shows a Merge Right.... But it's obvious the Left Lane becomes the Main lane...

You'll be joining the main freeway lanes on your left.. the motion is everyone feed to your left. The majority of the cars are in the left hand lane... Yet the sign shows merge right.

So... When I'm in the right hand lane passing up the line of cars in the left hand lane at that interchange.....I believe according to the sign and the people that view this as Option A.... it's all the people Im passing that are in the wrong for waiting to get over.....

They may have fixed the sign.. I havent noticed.. but 6 months ago.. it was definately telling people to merge against the natural way it was designed to merge and most people ignore the sign to be in the lane that felt right.

So.. I see it as.. Option B instead.. both lanes are in the right.. and like electricity.. always take the path of least resistance.

Edited by Highway6

Can someone why people get offended when honked at?

Musicman?

honking usually doesn't help the situation in anyway. if someone is straying into my lane...and i can't move over, i'll honk. sometimes they don't realize what is happening.

i must live next door to where sevfiv lived cause they honk early in the morning...i'm usually already up but walking 25' to ring the doorbell isn't a hard thing for most.

Edited by musicman

Speaking of bad drivers getting offended by horn use, about a year and a half ago, I was sitting at the red light at Washington inbound and the Katy Freeway outbound feeder road. Outbound traffic on Washington had a green light and left turn signal phase. When the outbound left turn signal phase was over, the inbound traffic got the green. I didn't pull out into the intersection because I looked both ways first as I usually do and saw an oncoming car still approaching. But as typical Houston drivers do, the ones next to me pulled out while looking straight ahead (probably on cell phones) just a millisecond after we got the green and almost got hit by some old coot and his wife in an older Rolls Royce coupe who decided to run the outbound left turn signal after it had been red for a few seconds. And they weren't speeding through there either, they took their sweet time going through the red as if the left turn signal was still green. As the coot in the wrong got honked at with some long steady horn blowing, he got offended and proceeded to raise his hand and present the numerical value of his IQ with his middle finger to the ones who had the legal right of way.

I'm not going to worry about whether people like it or not when others honk. They need to think about why they are being honked at.

Sometimes, it's because the person honking is a dummy. I was leaving a shopping center at Weslayan and Bissonnet once, and Weslayan at that section is particularly busy, especially in the afternoon. While I'm in the exit waiting for oncoming traffic to die down so I can pull out, guy behind me in a big pickup starts honking. I'm not gonna pull out cause there's no break in the traffic. He keeps on honking, I stay still. So, he decides to come around me in the entrance lane of the driveway and drive out, in the process almost broadsiding numerous cars, folks slamming on their brakes all the while he's honking at THEM! He got some return honks and some older guy flicked him off. Once he got on Weslayan, he proceeded to weave in and out of traffic at speeds of what looked like over 50 mph.

I posted this before in another thread here, but I think a good way to get some of the morons off of the road is to

A. Have better public transportation systems and facilities

B. More stringent requirements for acquiring driver's licenses.

Driver's Education class should be MANDATORY for anyone who wants to get a license. There should be more stringent driving tests after the mandatory Driver's Ed to weed out those who shouldn't be out there, that means semi-annual road and written tests for everyone who wants to renew their license. For instance, they should have guidelines along the lines of something like this. For ages 15-18 (and for the first year of driving for those who've just graduated from Driver's Ed, regardless of age), tests would be readministered every 6 months, 18-25, the tests would be readministered every year, ages 26-49, the test would be readministered every three years, age 50-65, every two years, and every year for persons 65 and older.

If there was a system similar to that implemented, we could weed some bad drivers out. If they couldn't pass the tests, well, take public transportation, hire a cab, carpool with a buddy who passed the test, or hire Town Car service. After all, driving isn't a right, but rather, a privilege.

^i agree about more knowledge. i also think that defensive driving should be required regularly, as well.

if only the majority of the folks on the road knew why signs/rules are there and followed them, didn't drive aggressively, and always left fifteen minutes early, we'd be in a different world.

unfortunately, it only takes a minimal amount of rude, ignorant, and anxious drivers to spoil the roads and get others feeling reactionary and join the behavior.

Actually, now that 59 and the Spur are complete, why not just turn back West Alabama to the way it was?

I hate that West Alabama lost the bike lanes. I also hate that the people who live in the neighborhoods can't make left turns at certain times of the day. I also hate that people now use the road as a place to avoid traffic and drive like A.J. Foyt to get THROUGH the neighborhoods and museums and universitites and schools.

BRING BACK OLD ALABAMA!

A. Have better public transportation systems and facilities

B. More stringent requirements for acquiring driver's licenses.

Driver's Education class should be MANDATORY for anyone who wants to get a license. There should be more stringent driving tests after the mandatory Driver's Ed to weed out those who shouldn't be out there, that means semi-annual road and written tests for everyone who wants to renew their license. For instance, they should have guidelines along the lines of something like this. For ages 15-18 (and for the first year of driving for those who've just graduated from Driver's Ed, regardless of age), tests would be readministered every 6 months, 18-25, the tests would be readministered every year, ages 26-49, the test would be readministered every three years, age 50-65, every two years, and every year for persons 65 and older.

If there was a system similar to that implemented, we could weed some bad drivers out. If they couldn't pass the tests, well, take public transportation, hire a cab, carpool with a buddy who passed the test, or hire Town Car service. After all, driving isn't a right, but rather, a privilege.

I would tend to agree with you, but how do you enforce it is the issue? If they don't, you revoke the license? People still do, and will continue to drive without a valid license.

I would tend to agree with you, but how do you enforce it is the issue? If they don't, you revoke the license? People still do, and will continue to drive without a valid license.

Well, taking away the license would seem like the thing to do. I know people still drive around without valid licenses, maybe make the punishment greater for driving without licenses, perhaps punishment by jail time after being caught a certain number of times? Sounds a little harsh, but it would dissuade folks from driving on suspended licenses.

Actually, now that 59 and the Spur are complete, why not just turn back West Alabama to the way it was?

I hate that West Alabama lost the bike lanes. I also hate that the people who live in the neighborhoods can't make left turns at certain times of the day. I also hate that people now use the road as a place to avoid traffic and drive like A.J. Foyt to get THROUGH the neighborhoods and museums and universitites and schools.

BRING BACK OLD ALABAMA!

At the time Alabama was reconfigured didn't the city say it was only temporary? Guess they forgot.

Not allowing left turns all through the Montrose certainly did make it an inconvenient street to use.

Being a native Houstonian, I agree, using the horn to communicate to other drivers is foreign behavior to most of us. We might use it to warn a person who is pulling into our lane, or backing out of a driveway without looking, but that's about it. I think the last time I actually used my horn was when I was leaning over to get something out of the glove box and inadvertently pressed it with my shoulder. It startled me and I called the horn an ahole ^_^ .

Has any of you driven in Corpus Christi lately? If you are traveling on a feeder street and someone is exiting the freeway all three lanes on the feeder come to a complete stop. I almost rear ended someone. Damndest thing I've ever seen.

At the time Alabama was reconfigured didn't the city say it was only temporary? Guess they forgot.

Not allowing left turns all through the Montrose certainly did make it an inconvenient street to use.

nah the Mayor is leaving it....with the richmond rail project in the near future....an alternate route will be needed

• 2 weeks later...
Because waving to other drivers isn't part of the traffic code. Yielding requirements are rule-driven, not an matter of courtesy. If you are at a stop sign first, or if you are on the right, then you have the right of way. It's not a politeness contest.

It drives me nuts when drivers violate the rules in an attempt to be friendly and courteous. It is safer all around if people just go by the book.

Less than one percent of drivers are "courteous." I heard that the city buses in Houston run 24/7. If I lived in Houston, I would seriously consider not owning a vehicle. No maintenance, no high gasoline prices, no insurance, etc.

Less than one percent of drivers are "courteous." I heard that the city buses in Houston run 24/7. If I lived in Houston, I would seriously consider not owning a vehicle. No maintenance, no high gasoline prices, no insurance, etc.

24/7? I don't think that's true. Can someone else verify that?

No, they don't run 24/7. Even the most used bus lines and the rail stop running about 1:00 AM and don't start up again until about 4:30 AM on the weekdays.

I do know of two couples currently living car-free in Houston. They survive, but it's a giant hassle and they often need to bum rides from car owners.