Northline Commons Shopping Center Developments

citykid09

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Wal Mart wants to make a splash in a new market, the area of Little York and the Eastex would seem to fit the bill... a good mix of middle income and lower income folks who don't have any other viable shopping options within five miles or so.

But, yeah, the addition of Wal Mart will certainly inject some life into the Northline area. All that said, even without Wal Mart, Northline is essentially going to be the next in line of redeveloped malls into outdoor shopping districts, like Gulfgate and Meyerland before it. I'd expect Northwest Mall to go that route, too.

If they are going out that way, then it's going to happen on the SW Side also as there are higher income brackets among minorities then....if so, SW Houston from Highway 90 from 610 to Highway 6 only has one Wal-Mart along that whole route and that's in Sugar Land on Highway 6. With the growth out that way now I can see a Wal-Mart somewhere around there...

I still think a theatre would help the area in Northline...all of this new development doesn't have a "after" 9 p.m. setting

Wal-Mart doesn't come in minority areas...it'll come as the area gradually changes (West Road) but if the area is minority, it's not coming nine times out of 10 unless it's caught in an area where affluent folks, middle class folks and low-income folks are pretty close....The Meyer Park location is a perfect example...

Wal-Mart goes where population growth and families are (ie, people who need to bargain shop). Most of Wal-mart is new building, which happens to be where more middle class families are (ie, burbs). However, you know by going into Wal-mart, that is not necessarily who they cater to.

Wal-Mart doesn't go into the city much at all. When WM went to Meyer Park, that was still considered suburban. I'm waiting for WM to build more in/near the city, but don't expect that they will, unless they get a killer deal on the land (because that's how WM operates.)

If Wal Mart wants to make a splash in a new market, the area of Little York and the Eastex would seem to fit the bill... a good mix of middle income and lower income folks who don't have any other viable shopping options within five miles or so.

But, yeah, the addition of Wal Mart will certainly inject some life into the Northline area. All that said, even without Wal Mart, Northline is essentially going to be the next in line of redeveloped malls into outdoor shopping districts, like Gulfgate and Meyerland before it. I'd expect Northwest Mall to go that route, too.

There also will be a Wal-Mart going up where the Flea Market is today off of Little York and Eastex!

Still, Northline's been going downhill for years, and anything that rejuvenates it is better than letting it stand as is. Anyone know when demolition of the existing mall is scheduled to begin? I wouldn't mind walking the mall one last time before it meets the wrecking ball - lots of memories there.

Appreciate the honest note above. This is another old section of the city that we called "The land that time forgot". I recall seeing Snow White & The 7 Dwarfs at the cinema there circa 1967? and yep shortly after that it hit the skids. Urban blight surrounds it. They can remodel, flip upside down and touch up the mall cosmetically up all they want, but the below poverty level area will destroy it. Set your clocks folks. Lets time it. Unless by some divine intervention or a meteor takes out all the local thugs/crime this baby is a big waste of time & money. the Near North Side as its known was bad 50-60 years ago and hasnt gotten much better. There must be stats that show what the shop lifting rate is there. Enough, I'm done. Got my helmet on! :ph34r::lol:

Need Robocop to patrol here.

• 3 months later...
searching through the internet i found this info...... Northline Layout page 2.

It does say there is going to be a WALMART.

click here to see layout

I live in lindale so i'm most excited about GNC, Marshalls, GameStop, and Office Depot.

It's going to be almost a mirror image of meat-and-potatoes Gulfgate; cheap shoes, cheap clothes, mattresses, money loans, cell phones, fast food etc. Also interesting that both centers are almost equidistant from DT too, and they both even have an HCC subcampus within blocks. The main difference is that Northline will have MetroRail, which will add a touch of class to the place.

But Northline won't be home to The Worst Home Depot Ever.

Hey, down here we've got the 888, and stoplight cameras. Gulfgate rocks.

Good god, I just do not understand the mattress thing. I really don't. Can someone explain the mattress profit thing to me? Veering off topic, I see that Mattress Mac is now selling that super $$$$ Scandinavian mattress that until recently has only advertised in Architectural Digest and the like. They retail at least a grand, $1,500 over the tempurpedic. I have a space-age tempurpedic knock off, but don't understand the crazy prices. Or the seeming endless demand. Have I missed something?

There also will be a Wal-Mart going up where the Flea Market is today off of Little York and Eastex!

is this ever going to happen? It has been rumored for the past 5 years but nothing has happened. Maybe now that they are expanding e. little york walmart and other stores can come to the area.

But Northline won't be home to The Worst Home Depot Ever.

Hey, down here we've got the 888, and stoplight cameras. Gulfgate rocks.

Good god, I just do not understand the mattress thing. I really don't. Can someone explain the mattress profit thing to me? Veering off topic, I see that Mattress Mac is now selling that super $$$$ Scandinavian mattress that until recently has only advertised in Architectural Digest and the like. They retail at least a grand, $1,500 over the tempurpedic. I have a space-age tempurpedic knock off, but don't understand the crazy prices. Or the seeming endless demand. Have I missed something?

Mattresses wear out quickly cause people sleep on them (amidst other things) daily. Also, I fear they are not as well-built as most tout themselves to be.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Looks like walmart is moving into the Northline area

From Houston Planning Agenda 10/9

Project Name: Northline Wal-Mart

Subdivision Plat Name: Northline Wal Mart Subdivision

Date Submitted: 09/29/2008 08:48 AM

Reference Number: 2008-1551

Previous Reference Number: 2006-2509

Subdivision Plat Type: Class 3 subdivision final plat

Special Request(s): Resubmittal

Key Map: 453K

Census Tract: 2205

Zip Code: 77022

School District: Houston

I need a keymap

Edited by lockmat

Noticed the subtitle read open-air concept. That's probably how Northline started out, as well. At least that's how Gulfgate and Meyerland started, enclosed later with air-conditioning. Funny how shopping center design changes, though. Original architect (Graham) & business owners of Northline probably didn't name it Northgate due to there already being one, in Seattle. Hope the new store development helps revitalize older nabes, like Lindale.

• 3 months later...
it is gone now. went by there last night. shouldn't be long for the rest to be dozed. my aunt said hcc was the last tenant but that their building is almost complete.

The theater was originally like the one at Gulfgate Mall. Same design. I always thought those theaters were soooo fancy, late 60's, early 70's. What's going on with the mall, right now?

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Northline Commons Shopping Center Developments