What Direction Is Midtown Going?

roadrunner

FWIW, I found two other Key maps books one is from 1985 which has Midtown on it and the other is from 1983 (25th edition) has the pages missing, but I remember seeing it on that one too, I always thought the Midtown name was a historical district from looking at the map books back then. I guess you learn something new everyday. :D;)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a first hand look at Washington today. I was wondering where all the development people have talking about was. If it's there, it's not butting up against W. Ave.; it's a little down from it on the side streets.

But I must say, after being away so many years, "midtown" has some really cool places. Pretty yuppyish, but I still like it a lot.

And just in general, I love the whole west and southwest side of Houston inside the loop. There are some very creative Houstonians out there. This side of town really has some character to it. Reminds of parts of LA.

You could be correct, but may I ask how in the world you assume that the three M's stand for Montrose, Midtown, and Museum District?

I remember reading it at the time the monument was built.

The difference here though, is that Freedmean's Town IS the original name of the area, later supplanted by 4th Ward, whereas Midtown was coined to rename an area

The Houston ward system predates the Civil War, so the area would have been called Fourth Ward before (if) it was commonly known as Freedman's Town. I'm still thinking that term is a kind of marketing ploy, as was Neartown or Uptown.

[quote name='WesternGulf' date='Tuesday, September 25th, 2007 @ 3:14pm' post='200863']

Not to mention a five minute ride to downtown and 7 minute ride to the Galleria area. It's funny b/c most houstonians, like yourself, are so conservative and scared of change that they will not listen to others from developed urban areas Like Chicago or the upper east coast, until the entire project looks is complete or nearly finished. Then they say, "Oh this is a nice area, I wish I would have bought something here when things were cheaper!"

Wowza. You must be exercising some of that Chicago or the upper east coast logic!

And just in general, I love the whole west and southwest side of Houston inside the loop. There are some very creative Houstonians out there. This side of town really has some character to it. Reminds of parts of LA.

SW Houston rivals South Central LA, ie; Compton, Watts District. 2nd runner up East LA, Whittier, Montebello, Boyle Heights. Creative people? Dude it must have been a long time since you have been to SW Houston, the times have changed. Character...MS 13 character yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Los_Angeles

The inner west side.

Now I have heard it all.

I think inner west side means "the west side of the inner loop". So that includes Midtown, Downtown, Montrose, the Museum District, West U, Heights, Medical Center, River Oaks, all that good stuff... I agree that this is where the heart and soul of Houston is.

I think inner west side means "the west side of the inner loop". So that includes Midtown, Downtown, Montrose, the Museum District, West U, Heights, all that good stuff... I agree that this is where the heart and soul of Houston is.

Exactly.

I was driving around from about 4:30-6:30 and the traffic wasn't even that bad, anywhere.

----

And just seeing all the creativity everywhere, from architecture, to fences, to pavement, to the trees and the uniqueness of the inside of restaurants, makes "corporate" type creations seem pretty sad. Just as an example, it seems pretty sad that big chain restaurants can lack so much creativity when creating an ambiance for their customers.

Also, those misting fans at Niko Nikos should be implemented at all outside patios and sidewalks in and around Houston :)

I think inner west side means "the west side of the inner loop". So that includes Midtown, Downtown, Montrose, the Museum District, West U, Heights, all that good stuff... I agree that this is where the heart and soul of Houston is.

Agree with all...I rarely leave it! Only time I do is when I need to go to a big box retailer (rarely, lol)

I also agree with a lot of the comments on Washington Ave...sort of a depressing road to me, but that could just be due to the lack of trees and current industrial/car lot feel. I do like some of the new places there just fine - Kobain, the "new" Social, etc - but Midtown/Montrose area is more my style for things to do... That said, I'm sure it will become better as the car lots disappear...but it has quite a way to go

I've been to parts of the Heights before and I loved it. I visited a friend last night who lives just west of 45 and south of North Main, and we drove in from the south. I was not that impressed with what was there. The preservation of some of those houses is just for the sake of them being old, not necessarily "historic." In my opinion, some of that area probably could use some midrises or something. Or at least teardown and rebuild. I did see a small row of victorian type townhomes that were different colors that I liked. One had a LSU flag out front; maybe some of you know what I'm referring to.
Agree with all...I rarely leave it! Only time I do is when I need to go to a big box retailer (rarely, lol)I also agree with a lot of the comments on Washington Ave...sort of a depressing road to me, but that could just be due to the lack of trees and current industrial/car lot feel. I do like some of the new places there just fine - Kobain, the "new" Social, etc - but Midtown/Montrose area is more my style for things to do... That said, I'm sure it will become better as the car lots disappear...but it has quite a way to go
Yeah, I'm a little surprised it warrants its own thread. But like I said earlier, the development I saw wasn't actually ON Wash. Ave, but down a little on the side streets.Is that new Target a Super Target w/ groceries?

where specifically and why?

Well, I guess it doesn't need a change. Just preference I guess.

I just didn't think it was anything to write home about. I couldn't tell you specifically b/c I'm not really familiar w/ the area. But I can tell you to get to her house, we came into the heights from the Montrose area using Montrose Blvd and she lived just south of North Main and just east of 45.

EDIT: I guess Montrose Blvd turns into Studemont.

lockmat i just don't see you as a type of person that appreciates something vintage. there are many great old homes in that area that aren't historic.

You're probably right. Maybe my appreciation will start to grow.

I guess I shouldn't have implied that they should be torn down and rebuilt into something else. I'm all for developing empty plots or blighted areas first.

Basically, if you take the loop, cut into quarters, with the boundries being directley north and south, it's the southwest piece of land.

I kid quite a bit Lockmat, but now it sounds like a chart at a meat packing plant.

Inner gizzards, etc. :lol: wheres the leg quarter and drumstick edition?

I'm all for developing empty plots or blighted areas first.
so you're considering that area blighted?

He's not saying the area as a whole is blighted. He's saying some parts are (such as empty lots, car lots, etc.).

I agree that trees are really an important factor in making a neighborhood look nice.

I've noticed that parts of the 3rd ward seem very similar to the museum district across the 288 (same style houses, etc), but with a terrible lack of trees. The fact that the museum district is so green is one of the things that make it look so much better. I know parts of the 3rd ward have trees, but one street in particular (I forget which one - it could be Wheeler Alabama or McGowen?) has a bunch of decent looking houses, but hardly any trees at all, and I think it's the lack of trees that make it look so bad.

I think more trees would help Washington quite a bit.

You're probably right. Maybe my appreciation will start to grow.

I guess I shouldn't have implied that they should be torn down and rebuilt into something else. I'm all for developing empty plots or blighted areas first.

Tear them Down! Lockmat, Don't worry about apologizing, I drive through that area all of the time and I agree that some of the Homes NEED HELP! Sorry, but I'm just telling it like it is. People want nicer areas that are clean and well kept, however those same people don't want to take out the Trash! I guess that's the only knock on The Historic Heights! If it's Ugly, It's just Ugly! Why should we lie?

Tear them Down! Lockmat, Don't worry about apologizing, I drive through that area all of the time and I agree that some of the Homes NEED HELP! Sorry, but I'm just telling it like it is. People want nicer areas that are clean and well kept, however those same people don't want to take out the Trash! I guess that's the only knock on The Historic Heights! If it's Ugly, It's just Ugly! Why should we lie?

Pardon me for not agreeing with you. Most of us here actually do take out our trash. We even do it on the correct day. As for what people want, HCAD seems to think people want my house...a LOT!

Pardon me for not agreeing with you. Most of us here actually do take out our trash. We even do it on the correct day. As for what people want, HCAD seems to think people want my house...a LOT!

Wasn't speaking about your home, but if it needs torn down please call the demo company! B)

Archived