What Direction Is Midtown Going?

roadrunner

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In my opinion, some of that area probably could use some midrises or something. Or at least teardown and rebuild. I did see a small row of victorian type townhomes that were different colors that I liked. One had a LSU flag out front; maybe some of you know what I'm referring to.

AHHHH! Shun the nonbeliever, shun!!! ;) We here in the Heights live in fear of the ever-encroaching apartment complexes and midrises. I would prefer a dumpy little bungalow next to my house over a three story monstrosity, but that's just me.

(I think you may be referring to the townhomes on Michaux and Euclid. They're looking a bit worse for wear, IMO. Peeling paint and sort of a weird vibe, probably because they're right up on the sidewalk).

Yeah, I'm a little surprised it warrants its own thread. But like I said earlier, the development I saw wasn't actually ON Wash. Ave, but down a little on the side streets.Is that new Target a Super Target w/ groceries?

Just a regular Target, but very nice to have there. I just hauled a load of stuff home with me on my bike. Very convenient. There's also a Payless, and we're getting some other stuff like banks and a Chili's.

AHHHH! Shun the nonbeliever, shun!!! ;) We here in the Heights live in fear of the ever-encroaching apartment complexes and midrises. I would prefer a dumpy little bungalow next to my house over a three story monstrosity, but that's just me.

(I think you may be referring to the townhomes on Michaux and Euclid. They're looking a bit worse for wear, IMO. Peeling paint and sort of a weird vibe, probably because they're right up on the sidewalk).

Just a regular Target, but very nice to have there. I just hauled a load of stuff home with me on my bike. Very convenient. There's also a Payless, and we're getting some other stuff like banks and a Chili's.

did they have a bike rack for you to lock your bike to?

A Target, banks, and a Chili's??? Let me guess, a Wachovia and a Chase? Just throw a CVS in there already :) *Shudders*

Why yes, they do have a bike rack. Which amazed me. It's to the left of the main entrance, sandwiched between the cart storage and the starbucks. Kind of easy to miss if you're not looking for it. I've locked up there at least 10 times, left my panniers on and everything, and no one's messed with my bike (yet).

Edited to add...

Yeah, not the most exciting of tenants. There's a Wachovia there already, but I think it's a WaMu going in as well? Not sure on that one. No CVS, but I believe there will be a Subway as well. Oh, and a PetSmart. At least there's not a check-cashing place.

i'd hope you'd be resourceful if they didn't.

and lock up to someones door handle or one of those concrete parking blocks? lol, jk

Are there some parking meters close to it? I haven't been there so I don't know what would be possible to be resourceful w/.

I've seen a few bikes chained to the "no parking - loading zone" signs in front of the Target. Like I said, the bike racks are hard to find.

The worst place I've encountered to lock up a bike is the Heights retail center on Heights and I-10. Even the handicapped parking signs are just PVC pipe stuck in the ground.

I've noticed that parts of the 3rd ward seem very similar to the museum district across the 288 (same style houses, etc), but with a terrible lack of trees.

LOL. That's because historically the Museum District IS the 3rd Ward. Same type of brick tudor type bungalows and two story homes. The only reason there is such a boundary of what is the "Museum District" and the Third Ward is the freeway between them that was constructed in the 80's. My mom's first house she moved in when she moved from San Francisco was and is located on Arbor Street east of 288. She moved in I believed two or three years before 288 opened. The small bungalow is just about butting the freeway now. By the way, the same type of construction can be found in West University.

I actually knew that. Either the trees have been cut down on the other side of the 288, or they where never there. Either way, my point was that the trees make a huge difference in the esthetic of the neighborhood.

Yeah streets like Southmore are pretty treeless for whatever reasons, but my guess is it is a little more commercial although north of Southmore, the trend continues. Closer to the bayou, there are streets that are pretty dark because of the amount of trees such as Calumet, Prospect, and Oakdale and granted the homes are appreciated, as far as value, a lot more.

• The title was changed to What Direction Is Midtown Going?

Archived