Developments On Studewood St.

heightsfan

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chef Robert Gadsby out at Bedford

It's official: Robert Gadsby is out as executive chef at Bedford, the upscale Heights restaurant he opened last fall with the backing of investors.

From The Chron's Alison Cook

Indeed. Gadsby's intricate, vivid cuisine could thrill at Bedford, especially when he prepared it himself for the costly tasting menus at his chef's counter. But the food in the main dining room could be erratic, and the restaurant struggled to find its audience. The exacting Gadsby also went through staff at a good clip, which never helps.

Mrs. P. and I still haven't been. Friends have consitently reported spotty service and quality

I've been two or three times and enjoyed it. The quality was very good, although I found the portions to be minimal. I suspect there is more to this story than printed here. If food quality hasn't been consistent, why promote the sous-chef? Or am I missing something? Ego's may have clashed. I love the idea of Bedford and hope whatever model it becomes will flourish. The only reason we didn't go regularly is because it was hard to justify a $40 bowl of gumbo. Mostly it was the drinks that really made the bill hefty at the end of the night. If you avoid the drinks, you could get a nice 3 course meal for $50 or $60, which I think is reasonable for an upscale restaurant.

i was coming over here just to see if there was any chatter about this yet. say it ain't so!!

Shiloh should be a done deal by Wednesday. I spoke with the new proprietor, and I don't expect much change, at least not right away. He's a regular, used to be more regular but as you age you tend to get less regular.

so, lance feagan (glasswall) and the guy from belvedere are opening a sandwich/burger place in the texas tamale factory building. i believe they do "plan" on selling wine or having a wine aspect to the place. of course, ask lonnie allsbrooks about "planning." LOL. anyway, i see that as a welcome addition to the hood since i imagine they will have better hours than dacapo's.

Speculation here and here is that it will be called "Burgerzilla".

And then I saw here that there's a new restaurant planned for 514 E. 11th (between Columbia and Oxford).

Speculation here and here is that it will be called "Burgerzilla".

I doubt it will remain "Burgerzilla" for long. I once got a Cease & Desist letter from the studio that owns the Godzilla rights for a screen name that was _zilla. For some reason they are very protective of that mark.

I doubt it will remain "Burgerzilla" for long. I once got a Cease & Desist letter from the studio that owns the Godzilla rights for a screen name that was _zilla. For some reason they are very protective of that mark.

That would be Toho, and yes, they take any perceived infringement of their trademark very seriously:

Godzilla Takes On Comcast Over Trademark

I look forward to a nice $20 burger. <_<

While I do like the idea of this building being turned into an eatery, the burger concept is somewhat lost on me since Someburger is directly across the street.

red will still be eating at someburger.

but really, i agree tanith. you would think there would be a little more respect for the old institution. still, cops and Hogg kids aren't going to be eating at Lance's new joint...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good Afternoon All,

Does anyone have any insight or what is to develop at the following:

Bar across from Beer Island or next to the gas station I think it was a sports bar ?

Also I noticed the church across from Fiesta on 14th major remodeling.

Anyone been to the new restaurant on 19th street across from The Vietnam Restaurant

I think it is called The Picnic ?

Good Afternoon All,

Does anyone have any insight or what is to develop at the following:

Bar across from Beer Island or next to the gas station I think it was a sports bar ?

Also I noticed the church across from Fiesta on 14th major remodeling.

Anyone been to the new restaurant on 19th street across from The Vietnam Restaurant

I think it is called The Picnic ?

Re: 19th Street -- I haven't seen the Picnic restaurant, but a block or two further to the west I noticed that Pie In the Sky is opening a spot.

Pie In The Sky Pie Co.

• 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon All,

Any news on The Bedford ? Closed or remodeling ?

I noticed lights off ,no cars, and covered windows ?

Partners Bryan Caswell and Bill Floyd announced Friday afternoon they signed papers to take over the Heights restaurant Bedford and will turn it into a modern Italian restaurant. Think Texas toast meets Tuscan steak, Caswell said. "We're trying to draw the similarities between the rustic-oriented qualities of the Tuscan region with the rustic qualities of the Texas region," Caswell said.

Partners Bryan Caswell and Bill Floyd announced Friday afternoon they signed papers to take over the Heights restaurant Bedford and will turn it into a modern Italian restaurant. Think Texas toast meets Tuscan steak, Caswell said. "We're trying to draw the similarities between the rustic-oriented qualities of the Tuscan region with the rustic qualities of the Texas region," Caswell said.

So...Cavatore then.

• 3 weeks later...

had lunch on friday at Stella Sola with Heights Womens Club. it was great. the restaurant isn't open yet but we ate upstairs in a small banquet room. the food was excellent- pumpkin ravioli to start; i had the short rib for my main. it was excellent, in a wine sauce with root veggies.

jason gould came in and spoke the group. he said it will be texas food in that it will be as much local as possible but with Tuscan influences. he said it will be casual, more affordable (i believe he meant than Bedford) and family friendly. i am really, really looking forward to it.

had lunch on friday at Stella Sola with Heights Womens Club. it was great. the restaurant isn't open yet but we ate upstairs in a small banquet room. the food was excellent- pumpkin ravioli to start; i had the short rib for my main. it was excellent, in a wine sauce with root veggies.

jason gould came in and spoke the group. he said it will be texas food in that it will be as much local as possible but with Tuscan influences. he said it will be casual, more affordable (i believe he meant than Bedford) and family friendly. i am really, really looking forward to it.

any word on a (re)opening date?

any word on a (re)opening date?

he said " the next few weeks" which is about as vague as you get... but today when i drove by it looked painted inside and partially set up. last time i tried to peek in, all the furniture was pushed up against the windows so i guess this is progress

• 2 weeks later...

Driving by the previous Bedford location on Studewood last night looked like there was some restaurant action going on.. Did I miss what opened? There wasn't any neon sign of someone's name posted on the brick wall out front.

Cheers!

Driving by the previous Bedford location on Studewood last night looked like there was some restaurant action going on.. Did I miss what opened? There wasn't any neon sign of someone's name posted on the brick wall out front.

Cheers!

It's Stella Sola (see 3 posts above). Currently in soft open, I think.

It's Stella Sola (see 3 posts above). Currently in soft open, I think.

Cool thanks.. I didn't make the connection with it being the same location. Didn't know they had upstairs dining. :)

Looking forward to checking it out.

Archived