Bavarian Gardens On Feagan St.

terrbo

Anyone go there? How old is this place? I knew the owner somewhat thru his son in the 80's when I hung at the former La Bodega.. on Fairview and Mandell.. The Parlour.. Gus (owner) got talked into having live music on weekends by this girlfriend of mine who was dating owner (or owner's son?) of The Parlour, Larry.. in the mid 80's perhaps? It definitely did not work, due to no advertising? I remember my girlfriend Nan gave me 2 passes to see The Killer Bees at Bavarian Gardens.. and NO ONE was there. They were great.. but after while me and my friend had to leave.... and they were sure "peoed". Couldn't believe a popular Austin band like that and no one came.

Also used to go to happy hour there as I worked at a real estate firm on West Gray at the time. It was "OK".. also went to a wedding reception there for this local musician friend of mine and his new bride. GRREAT party!

And Gus (thru Larry) gave me passes for Octoberfest a few years in a row. Lots of fun.

They changed name to European Gardens, not sure when. Anything going on there anymore?

It was also called The Black Forest for a while and, for at least a few years before it closed, Garden in the Heights. I knew it as the latter and went to a couple of festivals there.

I remember it like terrbo as being OK for occasional very hot and crowded happy hours. Still, it was different, and I hate to see it replaced by more townhomes.

they used to have a happy hour buffet..

Dude. I was there for that, too. This was a nice little drinking place for us during my UH days.

I miss it. We had some great times there during Octoberfest.

what time of the nite did you go? When me and my friend Paul went, there was no one there but us. You must have shown up after we left.. this is, maybe 1985? Small world.

I remember it like terrbo as being OK for occasional very hot and crowded happy hours. Still, it was different, and I hate to see it replaced by more townhomes.

i hate that it looks like they got rid of all those big old trees that were there.

Bavarian Gardens Matchbook

Bav_Gardens.jpg

La Bodega....it's been awhile since I even thought about that place

La Bodege.. after hours breakfast.. Michael Marcoulier was who I saw there.. and don't remember it was at La Bodgega.. but when was The Parlour... very nice shuffleboard table.. and nice backyard.

in the 70s there was polka dancing every fri/sat night which was how we occasionally started the evening before ending at bocaccio 2000 for some contrast.

the Duck Hunt game in the bar could be played from your table so you didn't have to leave the pitcher for even a minute.

I bartended at GITH for about 4 years and can relate a bit about what happened, but don't want to step on any toes. Also, I have no idea of the status of various lawsuits.

The land and building was owned by the Houston Saengerbund. Around August of 2002, they elected not to continue business with the two gentlemen who had managed the facility as Garden in the Heights for eight years and put on all the Celtic festivals, as well as the huge St. Paddy's Day weekends. The split was extremely acrimonious to the point of the former managers not even being allowed on site to finish the Thursday night country music festival series, contracted long before the dispute arose. The property was duly leased to Tomas Romero of Jalepenos and Courtyard on St. James Place fame, and as part of the deal extensive renovations began, some of which broke my heart. The gorgeous indoor bar with the antique taps was torn out to build more restrooms and I heard the beautiful detailed mural in the dance hall was painted over as well - I couldn't bear to go back and look.

I kept in touch with another bartender who continued to work there - from what she related, some kind of disagreement came up between the Saengerbund and Mr. Romero, and the workmen left until further notice in a kind of "don't finish pounding that nail" departure. Months later, it was listed for lease on a commercial real estate site and stayed there for about a year, I think. Meanwhile, the roof was partially open to the elements and the already-aging building deteriorated to the point where saving it would have been impossible.

The Saengerbund seems to be alive and well and the former managers have gone on to much success with the Meridian, so a happy ending for all except the lovely old place itself. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I went there many a time as a kid growing up in Montrose. And my parents were both German.

My secretary turned out to have been a waitress there thru-out the 70's with some great stories. She says a lot of old regulars go to the german fest in the hill country.

P

• 11 months later...
i hate that it looks like they got rid of all those big old trees that were there.

When I read these types of statements it's as if a daggar is sticking in my heart. Old shade trees in this city are priceless. Not to mention helping your electric bill. Always wondered what became of the Bavarian Gardens, remember it had a huge indoor dance floor. Sad to read that it's townhomes now. Figures. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

There was another german beer garden similar to the "Bavarian Gardens" that operated in Dickinson for years. It was called the "Hofbrau House". We drank warm pitcher beer there several times in 1973. That was the year that the drinking age was lowered to 18 and all of sudden we were all old enough to drink. The beer was cheap but good. They usually made us "kids" sit outside, even when the weather was cold, but the beer warmed you up pretty quickly. The place closed sometime in the late 70's I think. A WalMart, (now Sussan's Furniture) occupies most of the site today.

There was another german beer garden similar to the "Bavarian Gardens" that operated in Dickinson for years. It was called the "Hofbrau House". We drank warm pitcher beer there several times in 1973. That was the year that the drinking age was lowered to 18 and all of sudden we were all old enough to drink. The beer was cheap but good. They usually made us "kids" sit outside, even when the weather was cold, but the beer warmed you up pretty quickly. The place closed sometime in the late 70's I think. A WalMart, (now Sussan's Furniture) occupies most of the site today.

My dad loved to tell stories, one was of a up & coming singer who was playing at one of those places in the 1950's, his name was "Elvis". I remember seeing the sign (for this beer garden) next to the freeway, when we would travel to Galveston. The huge sign stood long after the bldg. was gone.

We used to drive from Park Place to go here. I was 3 or 4 years old at the time. It was quite the family affair with all my German relatives.

We used to drive from Park Place to go here. I was 3 or 4 years old at the time. It was quite the family affair with all my German relatives.

:lol: I have some of those, too. My parents & neighbors favored the local "Village Pizza Parlor", one was on Bellfort , across Mykawa, by the bowling alley, other was in Pasadena. Was quite the party on Friday nights, local band played. I remember the adults w/flowing frosted pitchers & mugs of beer, and hot pizza, and the sound of "Proud Mary" & "Sweet Home Alabama" playing. The kids just ran amuck, it was great fun.

• 2 weeks later...
I bartended at GITH for about 4 years and can relate a bit about what happened, but don't want to step on any toes. Also, I have no idea of the status of various lawsuits.

The land and building was owned by the Houston Saengerbund. Around August of 2002, they elected not to continue business with the two gentlemen who had managed the facility as Garden in the Heights for eight years and put on all the Celtic festivals, as well as the huge St. Paddy's Day weekends. The split was extremely acrimonious to the point of the former managers not even being allowed on site to finish the Thursday night country music festival series, contracted long before the dispute arose. The property was duly leased to Tomas Romero of Jalepenos and Courtyard on St. James Place fame, and as part of the deal extensive renovations began, some of which broke my heart. The gorgeous indoor bar with the antique taps was torn out to build more restrooms and I heard the beautiful detailed mural in the dance hall was painted over as well - I couldn't bear to go back and look.

I kept in touch with another bartender who continued to work there - from what she related, some kind of disagreement came up between the Saengerbund and Mr. Romero, and the workmen left until further notice in a kind of "don't finish pounding that nail" departure. Months later, it was listed for lease on a commercial real estate site and stayed there for about a year, I think. Meanwhile, the roof was partially open to the elements and the already-aging building deteriorated to the point where saving it would have been impossible.

The Saengerbund seems to be alive and well and the former managers have gone on to much success with the Meridian, so a happy ending for all except the lovely old place itself. :(

I used to work at the old Bavarian Gardens, from 1969 when it was first leased. I worked as a bus boy, kitchen help, beer keg wrestler, cashier, and bar tender, off and on until around 1981.

It was a great place during some great times in Houston. I remember all the Oktoberfests. It was the best party in town!. Great bands. Good food! Willie Nelson played there when he was virtually unknown in '69 or '70. He was so drunk; he fell off the stool he had to sit on. I met so many great people, and as a young kid; being in that business really was an education! It taught me many things, and many things to avoid. Gus got his hands in too many businesses and The Gardens went downhill starting in 1980. I did enjoy the rock and roll bands that played there. I saw many great acts; Matt "Guitar" Murphy from the Blues Brothers played there one night and he just smoked on the guitar. I remember seeing Alan Haynes, Blowtorch Repair, and many others. The guy responcible for the R & R shows was Jim Gaines, who went on to be a big time producer (Stevie Ray Vaughn's first album, and Metalica) I remember Nan, who someone mentioned earlier. She was dating Larry, who ran the Parlour for Gus, before it "myteriously" got torched. That really ticked me off. I used to go see bands there frequently, as well as Damians, Carnabys, Corkys, On the Border, and Cardis. Anyway, I have many fond memories of that place. For awhile; they also served a "killer" hamburger during lunch outside, which inspired then bartender, Cliff; to open his first Cliff's Hamburgers, which I believe there still might be a few locations around town. It breaks my heart to see all the "Casitas" where the old place once stood. The old building would have lasted allot longer than the townhomes will. As usual; a builder got rich, and will be untouchable when the places fall apart, due to the cheap labor and materials used.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 years later...
  • The title was changed to Bavarian Gardens On Feagan St.

Archived