I can't believe this thread hasn't made it to HAIF since Houston is THE guacamole capital of the USA (my assertion).

Anyhow, here are my favorites:

1. Chipotle Burrito --creamy, rich, never sour tasting and not too many other veggies in it

Also, I pronounce it: WOK A MO LEE

I can't believe this thread hasn't made it to HAIF since Houston is THE guacamole capital of the USA (my assertion).

Anyhow, here are my favorites:

1. Chipotle Burrito --creamy, rich, never sour tasting and not too many other veggies in it

Also, I pronounce it: WOK A MO LEE

i like it chunkier myself. most places tend to make it creamier if the avocados are older.

the LEE should be changed to a LE where the E sounds like the e in bed. an unwritten accent on the MO.

i like it chunkier myself. most places tend to make it creamier if the avocados are older.

the LEE should be changed to a LE where the E sounds like the e in bed. an unwritten accent on the MO.

if real creamy that means a lousy machine made it.Yuk.

If chunkier, means fresh & hand made the best way!

and I remember being in a Mx restaurant where the customer kept calling it: "Guatamala" as in the country, everyone was cracking up. :lol:

It depends, I am not saying I don't like chunky bits of avocado .. I am not a fan of big chunks of other ingredients (tomatoes, onions).

My grandmother made the best guacamole. She would even put diced olives in it. Talk about interesting!

The Red Onion also has a salsa of crushed pineapple with limejuice and bits of (I believe) serrano in it. Red Onion is one of the very few things I miss about Houston.

Call me crazy, but I always thought Pancho

The Red Onion also has a salsa of crushed pineapple with limejuice and bits of (I believe) serrano in it. Red Onion is one of the very few things I miss about Houston.

Call me crazy, but I always thought Pancho's had some really great guacamole.

With all that scrumptuous barbeque in Bastrop & Elgin, Mx food would be the last thing I would be thinking of! You need to send us some of those delicious links with a ton of crackers. :lol:

Call me crazy, but I always thought Pancho's had some really great guacamole.

yup then it was red onion. good "WHA KA MO LE"

Call me crazy, but I always thought Pancho

With all that scrumptuous barbeque in Bastrop & Elgin, Mx food would be the last thing I would be thinking of!
Nothing will ever replace Mexican as my favorite fare. Besides, BBQ in this area has proved to be a mojor disappointment. That includes Lockhart, and Kreuz which had some of the worst Q I have ever eaten.

A Mexican friend took me a couple of years ago to what he called the closest thing to his hometown food here in Houston, 100% Taquito on 59 and Buffalo Speedway. Quesadillas are a must, but their guacamole is pretty awesome too.

hmmm, i'm mexican american...only been to mexico once and i was like 4 LOL so i don't really know "authentic" mexican food especially since my mom was born here etc.

anyway, i went to 100% taquito and if that is "authentic" then i am speechless, lol. i went there at lunch as i use to work close by and i was totally disappointed. granted i only had their tacos, but after that one time we never went back. i've searched Houston for a place that has good mexican food, and it's typically mostly tex-mex here, but it's hard to find a place i would recommend. that should be a thread..."Best Mexican food"

hmmm, i'm mexican american...only been to mexico once and i was like 4 LOL so i don't really know "authentic" mexican food especially since my mom was born here etc.

anyway, i went to 100% taquito and if that is "authentic" then i am speechless, lol. i went there at lunch as i use to work close by and i was totally disappointed. granted i only had their tacos, but after that one time we never went back. i've searched Houston for a place that has good mexican food, and it's typically mostly tex-mex here, but it's hard to find a place i would recommend. that should be a thread..."Best Mexican food"

I think that is a thread. If the moderator (editor) is listening, maybe he'll create a Food topic area. I think all these foods threads deserve their own area.

Don't kill the messenger. I'm Colombian but visit Mexico quite a bit..... I'm sure you could find more Authentic food in some other areas of Houston, but working in the Galleria, this was the place my friend had as a reference to their local food.

most of the food served in houston is more tex mex vs mex which is probably why 100% taquito was a disappointment. mexico's supposed culinary capital is puebla. the food there is wonderful and you won't find fajitas anywhere. i don't eat them so no problem. their tamales were also different and used white masa. it also surprised me how popular pitas were in place of tortillas.

Best guacamole I've ever had was a little hole in the wall place in Nacogdoches. It had this ungodly long name, something like El Taqueria a la Carreta de Jeremiah...the place, and its menu was way, way more Mex than Tex, that's for sure. The guacamole was just coarsely chopped avocado, onions, tomatoes some cilantro, and probably a bit of lime juice and other seasoning. So simple, so good. Super cheap too. Unfortunately, the place went under.

most of the food served in houston is more tex mex vs mex which is probably why 100% taquito was a disappointment. mexico's supposed culinary capital is puebla. the food there is wonderful and you won't find fajitas anywhere. i don't eat them so no problem. their tamales were also different and used white masa. it also surprised me how popular pitas were in place of tortillas.

you know that's funny you mentioned that.

the other day a friend of mine told me that their mom's friend made some enchiladas and gave me the invite to come over and try some (which i was already knocking on the door b4 i could hang up, LOL)

anyway, they had a big dish of enchiladas that were made with mole sauce and man was that good. I asked where the lady who made the dish was from and they stated Puebla. I've never had enchiladas like that before. needless to say i'll be their special guest everytime they get food from her :D

oh and that reminds me too....see now u got me started,lol. my absolute favorite dish is Chile Rellenos. for those who don't know what that is, it's a poblano pepper that is fried in egg whites and stuffed with CHEESE!!!! B) well i'm use to it always being served like ninfas style and even the home made ones i've had were similar minus all the sauce on top. anyway, a friend of mine invited me to dinner once and his mom made chile rellenos but it was like soup in a way, but it was also sooo sooo good!! they are from guerrero. all i know is in the future i'd like to visit mexico and go restaurant hopping ;)

you know that's funny you mentioned that.

the other day a friend of mine told me that their mom's friend made some enchiladas and gave me the invite to come over and try some (which i was already knocking on the door b4 i could hang up, LOL)

anyway, they had a big dish of enchiladas that were made with mole sauce and man was that good. I asked where the lady who made the dish was from and they stated Puebla. I've never had enchiladas like that before. needless to say i'll be their special guest everytime they get food from her :D

oh and that reminds me too....see now u got me started,lol. my absolute favorite dish is Chile Rellenos. for those who don't know what that is, it's a poblano pepper that is fried in egg whites and stuffed with CHEESE!!!! B) well i'm use to it always being served like ninfas style and even the home made ones i've had were similar minus all the sauce on top. anyway, a friend of mine invited me to dinner once and his mom made chile rellenos but it was like soup in a way, but it was also sooo sooo good!! they are from guerrero. all i know is in the future i'd like to visit mexico and go restaurant hopping ;)

invite me! i love mole! there's a place here called maria selma that has pretty good mole. most of the other places use dona maria sauce or make it too bitter. ask the lady to make you some tamales con rayas (strips of poblano peppers). they are delicious.

La Mexicana

Can't stand that place. Food is just average but what's worse is that my meal came with like 3 tortillas, and I ate 'em all, and asked for some more...they brought out 3 more and CHARGED ME $1.25 for extra tortillas. WTF. I've NEVER been charged for extra tortillas anywhere else. EVER. That's like charging extra for more chips and salsa.

Knowing Los Cucos, the guac is hot, since their food is always cold.

I spit in their general direction!

You are eating at the wrong location then my friend. The one on Clay is good, and the one in Katy is their best.

Los Cucos makes it fresh on the spot, right in front of you, at your table. You even get to pick out how much stuff you want added. You CANNOT beat that !

I've seen it but not tried it. I will next time; I'm usually very happy just with the green salsa they have for the chips.

invite me! i love mole! there's a place here called maria selma that has pretty good mole. most of the other places use dona maria sauce or make it too bitter. ask the lady to make you some tamales con rayas (strips of poblano peppers). they are delicious.
most of the other places use dona maria sauce or make it too bitter
WRD!! i don't know about the sauce but i know exactly what u mean when u say too bitter. speaking of poblano peppers, LOL. u know what's good and i ate this for breakfast..poblano pepper in strips w/ egg w/mexican cheese :)

i don't know musicman...i think we should have a haif meet and greet at a mexican restaurant B)

I've seen it but not tried it. I will next time; I'm usually very happy just with the green salsa they have for the chips.

Chamo, I could go and just eat 2 bowls of chips and green sauce and leave, bu I feel obligated to order off the menu. :lol:

Yeah, the distinction between Tex-Mex and Mexican food is one that's lost on some people. I love Tex-Mex as much as the next native Houstonian, but if you're looking for fairly authentic Mexican food (with all the generalizations that term implies - Mexico's a big place with lots of regionally-distinct types of food), try Gorditas Aguascalientes on Irvington. I think they have one or two other locations, but the Irvington one's the only one I've ever been to. I've introduced several people to it, and I've never had anyone leave disappointed - one friend who'd lived in Mexico City for several years was really impressed with the tacos deshebradas. Portions are large, prices are cheap, and it's helpful (but usually not absolutely necessary) if you speak even a little bit of Spanish.

Archived