try Gorditas Aguascalientes on Irvington. I think they have one or two other locations, but the Irvington one's the only one I've ever been to.

I didn't realize how many restaurants i've been to, lol.

i completely forgot about that place. a friend of mine invited me there couple years back. although everywhere i go they laugh at my spanish :( but i was able to order fine ;) i had something called guaraches (sp?) or something like that, it looks like a chalupa but the chalupa part that is typically crispy was like a tortilla. it was pretty good. i think the thing i like the most about those places is that i can have a nice big glass of orchata :D

The best guac in the world is sitting on the beach in Mexico... I love authetic Mexican guac with the thick chips - yum!!

But the guac in the "bar" at Central Market is my current local fave! Expensive, but yummy!! I also LOVE their pico in the bar.

Best guacamole for me is the tableside guacamole at Pappasito's. It's always fresh and delicious.

WORST guacamole (which SHOULD be best) - Cafe Express. It SHOULD be best because the avocado is so chunky, which is what I like, but every time I've ordered it something in it has been less than fresh making it dangerous and inedible. I mean EVERY time. So I don't order it there anymore... I don't want food poisoning.

Best guacamole for me is the tableside guacamole at Pappasito's. It's always fresh and delicious.

WORST guacamole (which SHOULD be best) - Cafe Express. It SHOULD be best because the avocado is so chunky, which is what I like, but every time I've ordered it something in it has been less than fresh making it dangerous and inedible. I mean EVERY time. So I don't order it there anymore... I don't want food poisoning.

I've never care for CE's guacamole either... although I do love their hummus.

You would ACTUALLY return to a chain that had a hepititis episode? I don't care if it isn't the same restaurant - you would go back to the chain?

Not me.

Not ever.

Of course, I have seen the back of more hotel and restaurants (kitchens, etc.) than anyone on this board (unless you are a health inspector).

If everyone was allowed to go into the kicthen and look around before they ordered in at least 80% of the restaurants in Houston (of course, including drive-thru (SHIVER() you'd go home and raid the fridge.

Yeah, the distinction between Tex-Mex and Mexican food is one that's lost on some people. I love Tex-Mex as much as the next native Houstonian, but if you're looking for fairly authentic Mexican food (with all the generalizations that term implies - Mexico's a big place with lots of regionally-distinct types of food), try Gorditas Aguascalientes on Irvington. I think they have one or two other locations, but the Irvington one's the only one I've ever been to. I've introduced several people to it, and I've never had anyone leave disappointed - one friend who'd lived in Mexico City for several years was really impressed with the tacos deshebradas. Portions are large, prices are cheap, and it's helpful (but usually not absolutely necessary) if you speak even a little bit of Spanish.

Gorditas Aguascalientes is my mom's favorite place. The one on Irvington is by far the best. We've also visited the one near Gulfton but wont be heading back to that one soon.

Don't expect fancy, but expect tasty food and Spanish definitely comes in handy!

You would ACTUALLY return to a chain that had a hepititis episode? I don't care if it isn't the same restaurant - you would go back to the chain?

Not me.

Not ever.

Of course, I have seen the back of more hotel and restaurants (kitchens, etc.) than anyone on this board (unless you are a health inspector).

If everyone was allowed to go into the kicthen and look around before they ordered in at least 80% of the restaurants in Houston (of course, including drive-thru (SHIVER() you'd go home and raid the fridge.

Cafe Express had a Hep scare? I know that Marble Slab did and so did Pappasito's but didn't know about CE. Hmmm.... eating out can do more damage than just you wallet and waistline it seems.

Cafe Express had a Hep scare? I know that Marble Slab did and so did Pappasito's but didn't know about CE. Hmmm.... eating out can do more damage than just you wallet and waistline it seems.

We could start a topic on food poisoning alone.

A few years ago our company had some training going on up in the Woodlands area. We had people in from all over the US and abroad. They had Black Eyed Pea cater the lunch. I will never forget as I was one of the sick victims. They served grilled chicken which apparently was about to go bad. They served it anyway. At least 25-30 people and yours truly were ill for days. That was like major embarassing especially for the company. I got what was called a viral infection (felt like hepatitis). The only good thing was I lost quite a bit of weight, but I would rather jog, walk whatever instead of the alternative. :wacko: Needless to say I never go to that eatery. I just thought it was such common food anyway. No big deal.

I didn't realize how many restaurants i've been to, lol.

i completely forgot about that place. a friend of mine invited me there couple years back. although everywhere i go they laugh at my spanish :( but i was able to order fine ;) i had something called guaraches (sp?) or something like that, it looks like a chalupa but the chalupa part that is typically crispy was like a tortilla. it was pretty good. i think the thing i like the most about those places is that i can have a nice big glass of orchata :D

ok this was a busy weekend to say the least, lol.

anyway a bunch of us were hungy from some good ol mexican food and i remembered about this place that was mentioned. i had been there b4 once, but it was a while back and didn't even remember the food that well, so i thought lets give it a second go around.

so we all headed to gorditas aguascalientes and i think it's safe to say now that the food has gone down, lol.

the rice and beans were bland. we ordered the nachos for apetizers, which werer pretty good. the salsa they had was not good at all, the chips were kinda stale. there were mosquitos all over the place. my orchata wasn't as good as other places :( the only good thing was that they now have a guy in the parking lot who watches the car and tells ppl where to park. he took good care of our cars which we really liked :) we all gave him a tip cuz it was HOT outside. anyway, just an update on this place, lol. ok, time to get back to guacamole...

I worked at the Hobbit Hole in the 1970s, when it was famous for its avocado sandwiches and guacamole. We would make several thousand dollars worth of avocados into guac every day. Mostly it was served as tacos (hard shell, with tomatoes, lettuce and cheese). I was considered the best maker of guac by the owner at the time, utilizing his recipe but my proportions. People would ask me for a recipe, but that was difficult since it was all made to taste, utilizing salt and lemons only (sometimes chopped onions, but very small pieces). The real secret was to cut out all the dark spots, mash till very smooth, and then using a spoon, whip air into it seconds before it is put on the plate. Once a psychologist or psychiatrist who had access to houston police files found a transcript of a tape with my recipe on it: someone wearing a wire was at a party where I was asked how to make it.

• 1 month later...
I can't believe this thread hasn't made it to HAIF since Houston is THE guacamole capital of the USA (my assertion).

Anyhow, here are my favorites:

1. Chipotle Burrito --creamy, rich, never sour tasting and not too many other veggies in it

Also, I pronounce it: WOK A MO LEE

Are you speaking English or Spanish?

If you're want to speak English, the pronunciation of guacomole is with a hard 'g' as in 'good'.

Just because you see a foreign word written in English doesn't mean you break out the foreign pronuciation guide. Pronounce non-English words with an English accent otherwise you're bastardizing the language.

English has very precise and specific pronuciation rules--they dont' change with foreign words.

Are you speaking English or Spanish?

If you're want to speak English, the pronunciation of guacomole is with a hard 'g' as in 'good'.

Just because you see a foreign word written in English doesn't mean you break out the foreign pronuciation guide. Pronounce non-English words with an English accent otherwise you're bastardizing the language.

English has very precise and specific pronuciation rules--they dont' change with foreign words.

A person with your grammar skills probably should not be correcting others' language. And, by the way, "guacamole" is not written in English. It is a Spanish word, written with the Latin, or Roman alphabet, just as English, French, German and numerous other languages are. As a Spanish word originating in Mexico, it should properly be pronounced as the Mexicans pronounce it...unless of course, one is at a NASCAR event, in which case, you shouldn't be eating foreign foods like guacamole anyway.

As for bastardizing the English language, you may want to go HERE for more on that.

Please explain.

You mean like in potting soil/humus? surely no one gets that hungry. :lol:

Hummus is a puree made from chickpeas and tahini (sesame seed paste), lemon juice, and garlic. It is a spread/dip common to Greece and the Middle East. Hummus is served with pita bread or vegetable crudit

Archived