When Will The Light Rail & Commuter Rails Start Construction?

citykid09

Strange OpEd. He completely ignores METRO's award winning Park&Ride system, instead taking potshots at light rail. However, any article from Culberson advocating for transit solutions in addition to highways can only be seen as good news. He is absolutely correct in stating that a successful mass transit system icludes ALL forms of mass transit...long range (P&R or Commuter rail), inner city light rail, and busses to feed the stations from the neighborhoods.

In the spirit of the holiday season, I will forgive Mr. Culberson's selective memory in ignoring the targeted opposition to parts of METRO's plans, and applaud his support for an integerated mass transit system.

As an aside, the lack of a commuter line on the Katy is not a deal killer. A commuter line out 290 could serve Cypress and north Katy, while a commuter line out Westpark could serve south Katy.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange OpEd. He completely ignores METRO's award winning Park&Ride system, instead taking potshots at light rail. However, any article from Culberson advocating for transit solutions in addition to highways can only be seen as good news. He is absolutely correct in stating that a successful mass transit system icludes ALL forms of mass transit...long range (P&R or Commuter rail), inner city light rail, and busses to feed the stations from the neighborhoods.

In the spirit of the holiday season, I will forgive Mr. Culberson's selective memory in ignoring the targeted opposition to parts of METRO's plans, and applaud his support for an integerated mass transit system.

As an aside, the lack of a commuter line on the Katy is not a deal killer. A commuter line out 290 could serve Cypress and north Katy, while a commuter line out Westpark could serve south Katy.

Culberson's 7th U.S. Congressional District:

deleteimmediately1bn9.png

The dominant between-the-lines theme I picked out of this was, "Screw the inner loopers. I've alienated them pretty thoroughly by my opposition of their pork, and it'll be easier to pick up votes by reinforcing what pork I've done and what I want to do to help Cypress/Katy/Memorial portion of my constituency than it will be to try to perform damage control in areas that started out mildly disliking me and that now despise me."

I agree. A commuter line on Westpark would serve those in South Katy and the areas just south of Westheimer (1093).

• 4 months later...

Metro deal with contractor for new rail lines breaks down

New company will pick up where Washington Group International left off

By RAD SALLEE

Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

After more than a year of unsuccessful contract negotiations, the Metropolitan Transit Authority has ended talks with Washington Group International to be the prime contractor on four planned light rail lines.

Metro now will try to reach an agreement with Parsons Transportation Group, which ranked second among three candidates for the job when WGI was chosen in January 2007, Metro President and CEO Frank Wilson said.

Wilson said WGI will be compensated for $77 million in design and engineering work and that Parsons will build on that head start, allowing the projects to move forward on schedule.

If talks with Parsons end, Metro could turn to Fluor Corp., whose proposal had been rated third. Wilson said all three companies are competent and could do the job. WGI's subcontractors remain on the job, he said.

Because of the negotiations, Metro will not say how much it was willing to pay a contractor to design, build, operate and maintain the North, Southeast, East End and Uptown lines.

He said Metro and WGI were "hundreds of millions" apart. Earlier he had said Metro evaluates its entire Metro Solutions Phase 2 plan at $2.6 billion.

That, however, includes a fifth project, the University line, which is longer and likely to be more costly than the others.

Wilson said Metro plans to start construction on the East End line in June and on the North and Southeast lines in September. Construction on the Uptown line is expected to depend on funding for the University line.

"Our primary objective is to make sure the program doesn't miss a beat," Parsons' executive vice president, Tom Barron, said.

I am so confused over this University Line it's not funny. I hear buildings being slated for demolition on Wheeler, then I hear it hasn't yet been approved for funding. I'm a light rail enthusiast and Metro leaves me fuming, I can't even imagine what people are thinking who voted against this. Now that I think of it actually they're probably laughing their *sses off.

Nothing in my post refers to the rate of progress. After nearly six years any expectations on that front are clearly misplaced. It's the complete lack of co-ordination and inability to stay on message that frustrates me. Of course the media has a way of obfuscating and reducing delicate issues to soundbites, so that hasn't helped.

Edited by sidegate

Nothing in my post refers to the rate of progress. After nearly six years any expectations on that front are clearly misplaced. It's the complete lack of co-ordination and inability to stay on message that frustrates me.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to pick on you in particular.

I am so confused over this University Line it's not funny. I hear buildings being slated for demolition on Wheeler, then I hear it hasn't yet been approved for funding. I'm a light rail enthusiast and Metro leaves me fuming, I can't even imagine what people are thinking who voted against this. Now that I think of it actually they're probably laughing their *sses off.

The buildings vacated for demolition on Wheeler are between Calhoun and Cullen, on the south side. A bunch of single-family homes with big Metro signs stuck on them.

Metro pushing ahead with second rail line

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County has chosen Parsons Transportation Group for the next phase of the authority's light rail project.

The agency awarded a $77.3 million contract to Washington Group International in May 2007 for Phase I development work, but decided to go with Washington, D.C.-based Parsons, an infrastructure developer, for Phase 2, according to Metro.

Metro's decision not to work further with WGI was based on factors including "failure to deliver an acceptable and reasonable price for the next phase of construction and its failure to deliver on promises made in its original proposal," Frank Wilson, Metro's president and chief executive officer, said in a statement.

Parsons was one of three contractors bidding on the light rail's second phase, which will begin with the East End rail line in June. The East End rail corridor will begin downtown off of the Southeast line and go east to the Magnolia Transit Center Station.

The contract with Parsons will award $12 million to the company through December.

Metro pushing ahead with second rail line

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County has chosen Parsons Transportation Group for the next phase of the authority's light rail project.

The agency awarded a $77.3 million contract to Washington Group International in May 2007 for Phase I development work, but decided to go with Washington, D.C.-based Parsons, an infrastructure developer, for Phase 2, according to Metro.

Metro's decision not to work further with WGI was based on factors including "failure to deliver an acceptable and reasonable price for the next phase of construction and its failure to deliver on promises made in its original proposal," Frank Wilson, Metro's president and chief executive officer, said in a statement.

Parsons was one of three contractors bidding on the light rail's second phase, which will begin with the East End rail line in June. The East End rail corridor will begin downtown off of the Southeast line and go east to the Magnolia Transit Center Station.

The contract with Parsons will award $12 million to the company through December.

So the East End Line will break ground before the University Line?

I read somewhere that the U-Line has many more complications, so the preliminary work is going to take longer. I'm sure it is in some preliminary phase now, but the actual ground breaking will come later.

There's definitely more controversy over the U-Line than the others so I guess that makes sense. It's unfortunate though, because the U-Line would also be the most useful for many people.

I am wondering when the East End line will be complete.

If everything is supposed to be done by 2012, does that mean East end will be done in 2009, North in 2010, Southeast in 2011, and U/Uptown in 2012?

Also I wonder if they will open up a section of the new line at a time as it is built, or all at once.

The buildings vacated for demolition on Wheeler are between Calhoun and Cullen, on the south side. A bunch of single-family homes with big Metro signs stuck on them.

Oh, I heard something about a terminal being planned by UH. I'm not surprised to hear that demolition would be needed at the point of the rail terminus. I wonder about other places along Wheeler, though? I remember watching some townhomes go up just west of Almeda over the past couple of years, and wondering if anyone had thought about the possibility of the city claiming domain. Is the rail likely to fit in the existing lanes, with there still being room for cars?

There's definitely more controversy over the U-Line than the others so I guess that makes sense. It's unfortunate though, because the U-Line would also be the most useful for many people.

I am wondering when the East End line will be complete.

If everything is supposed to be done by 2012, does that mean East end will be done in 2009, North in 2010, Southeast in 2011, and U/Uptown in 2012?

Also I wonder if they will open up a section of the new line at a time as it is built, or all at once.

Surely the University/Uptown Line would take more than a year to build?

Surely the University/Uptown Line would take more than a year to build?

I would think so too, I'm just guessing here.

I read on the southeast line Wikipedia page that they were going to open up stations as they built them, but I don't know how accurate that information is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast/Gre...nty%2C_Texas%29

I really hope this gets finished in 4 years because then I'll be here to see it. 2012 should be around the time I finish my PhD.

Edited by Jax

I would think so too, I'm just guessing here.

I read on the southeast line Wikipedia page that they were going to open up stations as they built them, but I don't know how accurate that information is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southeast/Gre...nty%2C_Texas%29

I really hope this gets finished in 4 years because then I'll be here to see it. 2012 should be around the time I finish my PhD.

The sooner I can leave my car at home to get to work the better. Med Center parking's not going to get any cheaper.....

I have lost patience with Metro and Frank Wilson and Co. overbearing robber baron style rail expansion fantasy. Metro is so dead set on making EVERY aspect of rail work that they themselves participate in rail bias. Thursday night, a woman was pinned beneath a train so they had to close down part of the line and use bus bridges to take people into downtown. Okay, fine whatever. The problems lies in the fact they took buses out of service and kicked people off to get buses for the bus bridge to work. Who thought that would go over well? I was kicked off my bus which runs every hour, so they could shuttle people downtown. This is what happens when you cut off all scheduled bus service to downtown and provide only one alternative. This administration is a group of bunglers and I don't trust them with a project of this scope.

It'll get done and the City will be better for it. I turned my back on buses long ago. I lost count of the number of mornings I spent peering into the shimmering 80 degree haze, squinting against the sweat dripping into my eyes (no covered shelter at the stop, you see) waiting for the bus. You simply can't rely on them. In contrast I've never had to wait longer than 10 minutes for the train. I had complete confidence a few weeks ago I'd make my traffic court date taking the Light Rail, and I did. I would never have had that confidence in the bus.