When Will The Light Rail & Commuter Rails Start Construction?

citykid09

It's not about how the congestion is, it's about how much more congested it would be without the light rail.

the majority of growth in houston is happening where rail doesn't exist. therefore personal transportation (or other public transit) is necessary for most. with houston's density, to say LRT is the solution is just not true. the money can be used in better ways to serve more people, more efficiently.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how's congestion in dallas?

looks like the light rail isn't helping in dallas.

Your logic is flawed. Dallas adds about 140,000 people per year. Imagine if there were no rail at all. Rail is never meant to be the one and only solution to any city's transportation needs. It's just another tool in the tool kit along with HOV, bus, well designed roads, bike lanes, etc. that make any city's transportation system the best it can be. Are Houstonians going to have to pay for their many years of procrastination on the issue of rail? Of course they are. . .and you know what. . .the price is only going to go up every day the citizens continue to wait to implement these alternatives. I have no doubt, and I think you'll agree with me, that the City of Houston WILL eventually have a meaningful rail component as a part of its overall transportation system. The only question is whether the City going to pay for it now, ten years from now, or twenty five years from now. Again, I submit that the costs, both direct (i.e. construction) and indirect (i.e. diminishing quality of life) will only be compounded every day Houstonians wait.

the majority of growth in houston is happening where rail doesn't exist. therefore personal transportation (or other public transit) is necessary for most. with houston's density, to say LRT is the solution is just not true. the money can be used in better ways to serve more people, more efficiently.

LRT may be not the end-all solution, but it's a start. There might be a cheap quick fix (add more lanes to existing roads) but that isn't going to work in the long run.

What do you think the "solution" is, Musicman? Add more busses? Or build a commuter rail line that leads to one destination but doesn't allow people to get around once they are in the city?

That didn't even make sense. Your comments are becoming more and more incomprehensible, and your attempts to find logical arguments where there are none, just make you come across as some anti-rail zealot who would oppose even the most reasonable/effective plan.

i will not support a plan that causes additional congestion.

For cities to be on the dept of transportation's plan because of congestion......it's usually not a positive.

IMO Commuter rail needs to be established ASAP.

If METRO should not handle commuter rail, who should form and fund the agency that forms the rail lines?

I believe I read somewhere that the county is also looking into it......

i will not support a plan that causes additional congestion.

What exactly do you mean by "additional congestion?" The whole point of rail is that if people are riding the rails, they're not in their cars. What we're looking for is overall less congestion, or greater mobility -- but this is tricky, because if you build rail on Richmond, you will increase overall congestion, whereas Westheimer is already completely congested (and frankly, almost undrivable between Shepherd and Bagby.) Since Richmond (as it is now) is very effective at moving car and trucking traffic, that capacity will be lost if rail is put there. But Lower Westheimer does not effectively move car and truck traffic, and so overall car and truck traffic will not be severely impacted.

Yet another reason why Rail On Westheimer... just fits!

photo-4590.jpg

westheimer is almost undriveable? i used it a couple of days ago and had no problem.

putting rail at street level increases congestion, particularly at intersections where no attempt has been to separate LRT and vehicle interactions. closing streets also results in more traffic on others.

Edited by musicman

I, for one, liked the 2003 option for rail on both Richmond and Westheimer and I'm assuming running down Sage/Rice to Westpark to connect to the transit center. I guess they figured it'd be too much of a fight for both corridors so they opted for Richmond.

As far as Westheimer taking the place of Richmond in the present, I don't know. Westheimer is extremely narrow from Smith on to Montrose. Buses and cars can barely coexist comfortably along that stretch so you'd have to close that segment altogether. I doubt seriously anyone would like that.

The best alignment, IMO, was the one where the line would start on the eastern end of the UH campus at Calhoun and traverse Wheeler/Richmond to Chimney Rock and connect to Hillcroft TC from there. But, we all know what happened to THAT plan. Now, I wonder if TxDot would have been thwarted if they wanted to run a toll road through there?

Musicman, do you feel that Houston will be ready for circular rail routes (i.e. rail routes that connect centers of employment located outside of the central core of Houston?)

Tokyo has the Yamanote Line (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamanote_Line) that travels in both directions in a circular route. Perhaps some of Houston's centers of employment outside of 610 and/or outside of Beltway 8 can be connected by a circular route. I am not sure which areas should be connected, though.

Edited by VicMan

Musicman, do you feel that Houston will be ready for circular rail routes (i.e. rail routes that connect centers of employment located outside of the central core of Houston?)

no for geographical reasons. cheaper means to the centers of employment would be appreciated if implemented appropriately. the van pool setup has been successful for some. i know someone who rides from meyerland to clr lake regularly and another who goes from clr lake to med center. definitely takes planning but they say it is worth it.

Edited by musicman

• 3 months later...