Kemah Boardwalk At 215 Kipp Ave.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in Kemah today at the Boardwalk... the coaster may not be huge, but it really looks like it's going to be fun! We ate lunch at the Saltgrass and the one part of the track goes right past the one side of windows... I wonder what that's going to be like for people inside eating?? :wacko: ha ha Anyways... can't wait for it to open! >:)

Ooo... one other thing... I see they are testing trains now...

Testing Coaster

... so I guess it won't be long until it's open!

• 3 weeks later...
From a friend:

"The coaster has been valleying because a portion of the track was 6 inches off so they have to rebuild 30 feet or so of track."

I am surprised they screwed up. I always though the computer modeling takes care of these things, must have been a construction error.

• 2 weeks later...
http://www.coasterphotos.com/maingallery/v.../2006/08282007/

According to this it's going to open in a few days! :D

They also have a website for it up...

http://boardwalkbullet.com/

$4.75 a ride... yikes.

Pennys compared to the $12.50 I payed for the New York New York coaster in Vegas. :)

And interesting facts they have that compare it to the Texas Cyclone

BB:

3236 feet long

96 ft tall

92 ft vertical drop

TC:

3180 ft long

93 ft tall

80 ft vertical drop

more facts:

most number of track crossovers ever in a wooden coaster - 42

pretty good stuff

so it looks like these folks will be paying dearly for not selling out to Tilman:

For 12 hours a day, the family listens to the coaster's squeaks and rattles and the screams of 800 passengers an hour rolling by at 50 mph.

"It's such a shame, really. We all used to just love the peaceful quiet," said Carol Killion, who built the house in 1962. "It's what we enjoyed about it, away from the big city."

The compact roller coaster was built in a one-acre area because Carol and Coy Killion refused to sell their house to Landry's Seafood Restaurants Inc., which runs the boardwalk in Kemah where the ride is located.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=5630513

They get what they deserve. The Killions were offered 4 times what that house was worth before the coaster was built and they wouldn't sell. Now they will be lucky if Tillman takes it off their hands for what they paid for it in 1960. Actually, that's still a pretty valuable house I guess. Just hope they get used to the smell of oil and barf. And the sounds of screaming and obscenities. They should open that house up to the public as a fun/mad house. Their weird story made the AP, so every crack pot coaster enthusiast and NIMBY sympathizer in the US will be marching across their lawn to get a look at the freaks that live in the house under the Boardwalk Bullet.

Just as I predicted, the coaster has opened to rave reviews from the coaster enthusiast community for it's unique design and insane speed through out the track course. After almost 2 years without a roller coaster, Houston can now re-join the rest of the civilized world of having a place for local thrill seekers to hang out.

They get what they deserve. The Killions were offered 4 times what that house was worth before the coaster was built and they wouldn't sell. Now they will be lucky if Tillman takes it off their hands for what they paid for it in 1960. Actually, that's still a pretty valuable house I guess. Just hope they get used to the smell of oil and barf. And the sounds of screaming and obscenities.

oil, barf, screaming, and obscenities - sounds like my kind of fun :P

the value of the property has been well over 300k since 2004, so they could have scored over a million if he offered four times the amount.

It was actually a blessing in disguise that the Killions didn't sell to Landry's. Much more interesting architecture happens when you have limited area to do things in. Architecture likes limits. Plus it makes for a more compact Boardwalk so its more pedestrian friendly. I love Kemah and Houston needs more places like it. Unfortunately, with no zoning, its up to individual corporations to create "districts" in Houston with a wonderful cohesive look and feel.

I would make the best of the situation, build a roof deck where I could sit on a lawn chair and wave to everyone as they swirl around on the coaster. May as well enjoy both views the bay and the park.

Imagine having parties on your roof and having the coaster as a backdrop? How rare is that? When night falls the view wouldbe even nicer. Twinkling lights, etc. Make it a positive I say!

They should open that house up to the public as a fun/mad house. Their weird story made the AP, so every crack pot coaster enthusiast and NIMBY sympathizer in the US will be marching across their lawn to get a look at the freaks that live in the house under the Boardwalk Bullet.

:lol::lol:

Some people have difficulty moving on, I guess.

You could also use that deck to pelt those loud screamers with water balloons to shut them up.

Are you kidding? I would love it if people threw water balloons at me while on the coaster! Especially in our heat. I would barf back at them in retaliation, cool.

In fact this ourdoor roof deck would temp nude sunbathing. Now were talking fun!

Archived