Light Rail lawsuit

ricco67

According to the Article, this was expected to happen, but it was the timing that threw them off.

After watching an interview on (I think) KHOU earlier this morning, they feel that the lawsuit doesn't have legs and will be handled easily.

when I 1st started posting on this forum about LRT almost a yr ago, I said that the last thing Scarborough, Segar, et al want is a new vote, b/c they know they will lose against METRO campaign pr to the general voting public and the unified opposition of every precinct south of 59 to rail actually being built on Westpark (while the referendum carried these precincts in 2003, voters there have now had a year to hear METRO's inept presentation of what rail on Westpark will look like, and it's that inability to describe an acceptable line that won't destroy general mobility south of 59 that has turned so many to opposition).

So the heart of this suit is not about the vote.

And METRO can bravely dismiss the Brass Maiden's suit as groundless, but now that they've decided to build rail through affluent neighborhoods and not unpopulated Main St, or (with all due respect) the less affluent

Northside and East End neighborhoods, they can expect a long string of lawsuits on technical, political, and environmental grounds IF they don't start explaining how the advantages of the U Line will be maximized, and every negative impact will be mitigated.

And METRO can bravely dismiss the Brass Maiden's suit as groundless, but now that they've decided to build rail through affluent neighborhoods and not unpopulated Main St, or (with all due respect) the less affluent Northside and East End neighborhoods, they can expect a long string of lawsuits on technical, political, and environmental grounds IF they don't start explaining how the advantages of the U Line will be maximized, and every negative impact will be mitigated.

The attorney was on the radio this morning explaining the requests of information from METRO and the lack of a response. This was filed to force a response. This could be over quickly IMO as long as METRO is honest with their information.

Evidently property owners along Richmond are scared because the ROW shown in preliminary drawings would take some properties. He also mentioned something about how METRO will meet their ballot language with respect to added services, when services are being cut. He said the ballot was written to appeal to everyone but METRO doesn't have enough money to accomplish their ballot language goals.

Andy Taylor is full of it. If there was a lawsuit there, they would file it. This motion is nothing more than a fishing expedition, hoping to find some kind of technicality, or at a minimum, make METRO look bad. I can go on the radio and make my lawsuits sound good, too.

This is the same lawyer that claimed to have HARD evidence of voter fraud in the Hubert Vo election. When it came time to put up or shut up, no evidence appeared. The fact is, the anti-rail people have found that there is not as much anti-rail sentiment as they thought. They took their best shot, and found that most people want good transit. If that includes rail, fine.

I seriously doubt that METRO sees this as anything more than the expected nuisance that it is.

And METRO can bravely dismiss the Brass Maiden's suit as groundless, but now that they've decided to build rail through affluent neighborhoods and not unpopulated Main St, or (with all due respect) the less affluent Northside and East End neighborhoods, they can expect a long string of lawsuits on technical, political, and environmental grounds IF they don't start explaining how the advantages of the U Line will be maximized, and every negative impact will be mitigated.

I agree with your assessment. No matter where METRO runs its line, if it has to go through an affluent area, they'll get sued for this, that, and the other reason. Usually frivilous, but it is more or less a cost of doing business.

There are legitimate issues that need to be raised, and unfortunately there does not appear to be a channel by which that can happen with anything coming of it except by use of underhanded tactics and questionable politiking. This much is very bad. But the lawsuit described in this thread is indeed groundless.

If I were a property owner on Richmond opposed to rail, I'd be mortified if "WE VOTED FOR WESTPARK!!!" is the best bullet in their gun.....

the best bullet in their gun has been and remains the human equivalent of the original "Fat Boy" A-bomb - John "M'nint D" Culberson.

No matter how they spin it, filing a 202 motion (as opposed to a full blown lawsuit) is an admission on their part that they cannot win on the "voted on Westpark" herring. Taylor hopes that the 202 motion will allow them to find some technicality under which to file. I see this 202 action as a victory for METRO, as the opponents' have already conceded defeat as things stand today.

Metro ought to just build the lines and worry about the lawsuits later. While I think Westpark would be a better route because it is mainly businesses down Westpark, I think it does not take into account ridership and where people WANT to go. I do not want to go down Westpark if I am riding the rail. I want to goto the Galleria, etc. Westpark is too far over!

Metro ought to just build the lines and worry about the lawsuits later. While I think Westpark would be a better route because it is mainly businesses down Westpark, I think it does not take into account ridership and where people WANT to go. I do not want to go down Westpark if I am riding the rail. I want to goto the Galleria, etc. Westpark is too far over!

If you want to go to the Galleria, it would be faster if you took a Westpark route because there would be fewer stops and longer stretches of grade-seperation, where the train could accelerate to a higher velocity. One way or another, you'd have to transfer to the Uptown BRT line for the final leg of your journey.

...and of course, if METRO or Culberson had any foresight, one of them would've proposed rail/road grade seperations at each major crossing along the Westpark alignment. But alas!

• 3 weeks later...

Its continued things like this lawsuit that make me long for the military. There were nice clear cut ways of handling stupidity there which isnt available in everyday life. This group of stupid jackasses needs to shut the hell up with the infantile opposition to rail and rail along the Richmond line. The stupid "me and my" syndrome rears its head yet again. Most of them are either antique or near antique and are not looking ahead towards the beneficial infrastructure for future generations. None of those clowns will lose thier homes if the rail line goes down Richmond as the people did when an entire neighborhood was disected and destroyed to make way for HWY 288. This lawsuit is stupid and it further attempts to blur the lines between sanity and insanity by argueing and holding up progress through multiple feeble attempts at trying to make the insanity of rail along Westpark plausible and sane. :blink::blink:

Well said. I agree 100%. You should print that out, make several thousand copies, tie the messages to bricks and throw them through the windows of every biz on Richmond and house in AO - the selfish bastards. That goes for everyone in Houston who thinks that their precious neighborhoods deserve any special treatment, and should come before the interests of the other 5.5 million they share the city with.

Just kidding about the brick throwing, but I'd like to drive a light rail line right up their butts! Or worse, a tollway. A beautiful 24 hour non-stop buzzing in their ears and pain in the @$$ for the rest of their lives. So what if it would ruin the city, at least I'd have the pleasure of seeing a few elitist run out of town. HA!

HAIFer gone wild. >:)

Edited by Mister X

Its continued things like this lawsuit that make me long for the military. There were nice clear cut ways of handling stupidity there which isnt available in everyday life. This group of stupid jackasses needs to shut the hell up with the infantile opposition to rail and rail along the Richmond line. The stupid "me and my" syndrome rears its head yet again. Most of them are either antique or near antique and are not looking ahead towards the beneficial infrastructure for future generations. None of those clowns will lose thier homes if the rail line goes down Richmond as the people did when an entire neighborhood was disected and destroyed to make way for HWY 288. This lawsuit is stupid and it further attempts to blur the lines between sanity and insanity by argueing and holding up progress through multiple feeble attempts at trying to make the insanity of rail along Westpark plausible and sane. :blink::blink:

Thanks! Glad we agree on this. I was starting to feel like I was out on a limb in my thinking. Build the damned thing down Richmond and let's get on with it! We've wasted 2 years already and it's still no closer to getting built.

Thanks! Glad we agree on this. I was starting to feel like I was out on a limb in my thinking. Build the damned thing down Richmond and let's get on with it! We've wasted 2 years already and it's still no closer to getting built.

Wasted? what schedule are you referring to?

If I wanted to go to the Galleria, I'd rather go down Westhimer. Richmond is too far. :P

If METRO didn't say it was going to be on Westpark, OR Richmond, why not Westhimer?

If I wanted to go to the Galleria, I'd rather go down Westhimer. Richmond is too far. :P

If METRO didn't say it was going to be on Westpark, OR Richmond, why not Westhimer?

METRO eliminated that option quite a while ago. even more obstacles.

Why not indeed! That would be even better, but it seems like the powers that be (public and private) want it on Richmond or Westpark. To make Houston world-class it SHOULD be on Westheimer, but I fear that will never happen.

I think the argument of being world class and aesthetics and overlooking what is sustainable does not get people very far. This is why I cringed when one man in the Pro Richmond Rail crowd was on multiple news stations stressing how is Houston going to be world class if...........? Personally I started to tune out. I would also love for rail to be on Westheimer but it will not work for obvious reasons that most can see on the surface.

The fact that some on here are talking about Westpark having fewer stops and longer stretches of grade seperation is very telling. It almost sounds like we are talking about commuter rail rather than neighborhood transportation. The argument about placing light rail on Westpark rather than the heart of places like Greenway Plaza is like placing the current line that goes through the TMC on Almeda vs Fannin.

I think the argument of being world class and aesthetics and overlooking what is sustainable does not get people very far. This is why I cringed when one man in the Pro Richmond Rail crowd was on multiple news stations stressing how is Houston going to be world class if...........? Personally I started to tune out. I would also love for rail to be on Westheimer but it will not work for obvious reasons that most can see on the surface.

The fact that some on here are talking about Westpark having fewer stops and longer stretches of grade seperation is very telling. It almost sounds like we are talking about commuter rail rather than neighborhood transportation. The argument about placing light rail on Westpark rather than the heart of places like Greenway Plaza is like placing the current line that goes through the TMC on Almeda vs Fannin.

I agree on both counts. Transit is not for the purpose of being "world class", whatever that may mean. And even worse, those proposing inner city rail in out of the way places clearly have no idea what purpose LRT even serves. Suggestions that transit routes be placed where they are "not in the way" ignore the fact that transit only works when it goes where the people are.

It almost sounds like we are talking about commuter rail rather than neighborhood transportation.
IMO, the LRT shouldn't be a glorified bus route (which is what we have now), it should actually strive to save commuters time so that more would be willing to use it. the stop locations should be optimized. i think adding some elevated portions over crowded streets should be mandatory. otherwise it will just create traffic problems.

I agree on both counts. Transit is not for the purpose of being "world class", whatever that may mean. And even worse, those proposing inner city rail in out of the way places clearly have no idea what purpose LRT even serves. Suggestions that transit routes be placed where they are "not in the way" ignore the fact that transit only works when it goes where the people are.

I.E., it's SUPPOSED to be in the way.