Here we go:

Tirade

Rant

Tryst

Speaks out!

Wife swap

Detox

"spotted in a"

Pussycat doll - (grooming young girls for prostitution)

Girls gone wild

shock jock

anything with B. Spears, J-Blo, P. Hilton, D. Barremore, OLD HAS-BEEN Madonna & Desperate househo's

there feel much better :lol:

I thought spellcheck was built into the board (at least it is on other boards I am a member of). It will actually underline in red, mispelled words or words it doesn't recognize.

I've seen spell checker software for forums before, but I haven't bought any because all the in-line ones I've seen rely on Windows and IE hacks, rather than web standard to accomplish their task. I'd rather keep this forum open and available to any and all browsers and not create any complications for myself, especially since every revision of IE creates new incompatabilities. (FWIW, IE 6/7 usage on HAIF in April is 59%)

I've seen some that allow you to check your spelling after you write, but before you post your message, but to date I haven't really checked to see what the options are.

I thought spellcheck was built into the board (at least it is on other boards I am a member of). It will actually underline in red, mispelled words or words it doesn't recognize.

firefox 2 has the built-in with the red underlined text

I can't stand it when people say PIN Number instead of PIN, aks instead of ask, U-ston instead of Houston, and umble instead of humble (except when they're referring to the town of Humble, you've gotta be a Houstonian for that one).

When people say something and then follow it up with.... "ya know what I'm sayin'?" Ugh... yes, I know what you are saying... I heard you just say it dumba$$! :rolleyes:

Ooo... and "resolve". I know Bush is an idiot and that he doesn't have a very large vocabulary... but he really needs someone to teach him a new word... he has beaten this one to death!

I, personally, have always not liked to use the word "happy." I prefer to say that a person is either "content" or "satisfied." To me, there is no such thing as true "happiness."

I, personally, have always not liked to use the word "happy." I prefer to say that a person is either "content" or "satisfied." To me, there is no such thing as true "happiness."

Happy sounds like a neurotic state. Happy.

I agree, I think content is a much better term.

That's too bad. I can think of many people I would say are happy. I can definitely associate personal feelings with happiness. Content and satisfied sound so "unhappy."

Happy sounds like a neurotic state. Happy.

I agree, I think content is a much better term.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm snuggling with my wife. "Honey, I'm so satisfied that you are my wife. Being with you makes me so contented."

Sheesh. You two can buy me the steak for my black eye! :)

marmer

You know yer a redneck when a Nor'easter hits the trailer park and yer pickup truck becomes a hy-bred 'cuz you have to put it on the battery charger ever' night. And yer wife needs botox and your mama needs a tummy tuck and yer gettin' the restless leg wonderin' if yer ever gonna be happy, er even satisfied. Might even hafta swaller yer pride, know whut I'm sayin?

You know yer a redneck when a Nor'easter hits the trailer park and yer pickup truck becomes a hy-bred 'cuz you have to put it on the battery charger ever' night. And yer wife needs botox and your mama needs a tummy tuck and yer gettin' the restless leg wonderin' if yer ever gonna be happy, er even satisfied. Might even hafta swaller yer pride, know whut I'm sayin?

That's awesome! :lol:

I'll keep that in mind the next time I'm snuggling with my wife. "Honey, I'm so satisfied that you are my wife. Being with you makes me so contented."

Sheesh. You two can buy me the steak for my black eye! :)

marmer

Well, try saying to her that you are "unsatisfied" and "not contented." We will then have to buy you a whole cow.

That's too bad. I can think of many people I would say are happy. I can definitely associate personal feelings with happiness. Content and satisfied sound so "unhappy."

Other possible synonyms: "elated" "ecstatic" "on cloud nine", etc.

Quite clever play on words "I must say"

180px-Edgrimley.gif

Quite clever play on words "I must say"

180px-Edgrimley.gif

One of the slang words for excrement--"caca" or "kaka"--I've never understood how it originated. I never could stand that slang term. Why can't everyone simply say "Number Two" or "Doo Doo" as a noun, and maybe "pinch a loaf" as a verb?

One of the slang words for excrement--"caca" or "kaka"--I've never understood how it originated. I never could stand that slang term. Why can't everyone simply say "Number Two" or "Doo Doo" as a noun, and maybe "pinch a loaf" as a verb?

I thought it came from Spanish slang. It's useful in situations where even the noun "crap" would be offensive, and "poop" too juvenile. And it also connotes "useless stuff or tasks" a little more than some of the other, more coprological, terms do.

I've never heard it used as a verb. I'm not sure there is any need for a large library of slang terms for the act of moving ones bowels. "Pinch a loaf" is way too Cheech and Chong.

marmer

I thought it came from Spanish slang. It's useful in situations where even the noun "crap" would be offensive, and "poop" too juvenile. And it also connotes "useless stuff or tasks" a little more than some of the other, more coprological, terms do.

I've never heard it used as a verb. I'm not sure there is any need for a large library of slang terms for the act of moving ones bowels. "Pinch a loaf" is way too Cheech and Chong.

marmer

That's where I got it from, Ralph & Herbie.

One of the slang words for excrement--"caca" or "kaka"--I've never understood how it originated. I never could stand that slang term.

i don't think it's slang. i know some of the other latin based countries also use a similar word. in spanish it would be with a "c" because there's no K in spanish.

I know this is the off topic forum, but to swing it back toward architecture a little:

coming soon...

watch us grow...

we're growing to serve you better...

another exciting development by...

luxury urban living...

city living at its finest...

minutes from downtown...

all new construction...

preleasing/presales...

Cherry Demolition Company (no offense meant to their employees, but ya gotta wonder...)

DEMO

DISCONNECT GAS/SEWER

marmer

DEMO

DISCONNECT GAS/SEWER

Er. . . how is that annoying?

minutes from downtown...

Now I agree, that is such a ploy.

They need to say something like "Walking distance to downtown", or a "View of the skyline"

Anything 15 minutes ofr less can be considered "minutes from downtown"

You can drive a lot of miles in 15 minutes, and that can take you pretty far out from Houston.

Er. . . how is that annoying?

All of these are associated either with demolition or with new construction, usually townhomes or mass-market chain retailers. DEMO and DISC GAS/SEWER show up in online permit databases and are often the first confirmation that the loss, as opposed to renovation, of a historic structure is imminent.

Now I agree, that is such a ploy.

They need to say something like "Walking distance to downtown", or a "View of the skyline"

Anything 15 minutes ofr less can be considered "minutes from downtown"

You can drive a lot of miles in 15 minutes, and that can take you pretty far out from Houston.

I have seen it in very distant suburbs, not in Harris County, where, true, under best traffic conditions, it might be possible (like 3 am). My experience is that at many times of the day on most freeways you can drive for 15 minutes and remain in sight of where you started. :wacko:

marmer

Archived