Words you just hate

Subdude

I know this is the off topic forum, but to swing it back toward architecture a little:

I'll add the cliched phrase "Live. Work. Play." to that list.

But I wanted to contribute another annoying word: palpable, as in "TheNiche's frustration became utterly palpable as he banged his fists against the desk, kicked his computer, muttered assorted swears against his computer and his fate, and frantically tried to find a solution to his malady; but all was lost--a corrupted file and a blue screen of death had wiped out a weekend's worth of work. He was without hope, and tomorrow was but 20 hours in the past."

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

unplugged

flava

24/7

"Your fired!" (in a Brooklyn dialect)

chick flick

you go girl

don't get me started

Almost everything John Walsh on America's Most Wanted says...Your 15 minutes of shame are up! and Were on to you punk!

KFC, I-Hop, Mickey D's, any shortening of an eateries full name!

Is it that hard to say Kentucky Fried Chicken? grrrrrrr.... :wacko:

In the case of KFC, they (the company) changed it to KFC. They were trying to get away from the 'fried' part and to be more hip.

And of recent, they are reveryting back to the full name, and not using the silly, Kitchen Fresh Chicken anymore either.

Speaking of food, one of my pet peeves is the use of the term "done" to mean "through" or "finished."

Food is done.

Tasks are finished.

marmer

IHOP also, I believe, is the correct name for the restaurant now. It's certainly on their signs and web page. And do you really say, when you have that inexplicable craving for a Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity at dinner time, "Let's go to the International House of Pancakes!" ?

And of recent, they are reveryting back to the full name, and not using the silly, Kitchen Fresh Chicken anymore either.

One term I've always hated is "Moral Majority." Does that mean that me and the others who don't adhere to Jerry Falwell's beliefs are part of the "Immoral Minority"?

Fixin to ........(hardcore country speak)

I recollect

waddup?

I'm pumped ...major GRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr

infommercial

televangelist

"power" breakfast/lunch

famous for being famous

upwardly mobile

hipper than thou crowd

any commercial or film that features talking animals and babies.............big time worn out!

• 2 weeks later...
Happy sounds like a neurotic state. Happy.

I agree, I think content is a much better term.

I've never been able to stand how many people think that the words "dumb" and "ignorant" are the same thing. "Dumb" means that a person naturally has a low IQ. "Ignorant" means that a person simply doesn't have knowledge of a certain thing.

1. it's in the heart of something (used too much in advertising)

for example, The Galleria is in the heart of Uptown. or The Alamo is in the heart of downtown San Antonio

2. like (like used by teens)

3. Discovery Channel or Animal Planet shows that give dumb comparisons or an understanding of the size or quantity of something. For example, my favorite is the swimming pool comparison: The pump is so massive it can fill 20,000 olympic size pools in 3 minutes. or If you stacked all the paper clips end to end, it will reach the moon and back 20 times.

These are just some that I can think of.

Rio Grande Valley:

I've heard it used by people in the '20s/'30s/'40s, too. Usually if they want to sound young they'll throw in a "like". "Like" seems like one of those words where a person is fully cautious that they're using it, for the most part, not something that forms out of habit. "Like" comes across as very forced. Anyone who appears over the age of 18 and still uses, I roll my eyes.

I hate when restaurants claim to serve "home made" food.

No, it's not made in a home. It's made in a restaurant. You can't legally sell home made food to the masses.

In that same line of reasoning-- I hate when commericals (usually for furniture and carpet stores) claim to have "wholesale prices." No you don't. That's illegal, too.

1. it's in the heart of something (used too much in advertising)

for example, The Galleria is in the heart of Uptown. or The Alamo is in the heart of downtown San Antonio

3. Discovery Channel or Animal Planet shows that give dumb comparisons or an understanding of the size or quantity of something. For example, my favorite is the swimming pool comparison: The pump is so massive it can fill 20,000 olympic size pools in 3 minutes. or If you stacked all the paper clips end to end, it will reach the moon and back 20 times.

These are just some that I can think of.

That's like a few days ago on Modern Marvels on The History Channel, it said that the number of Twinkies made in 22 seconds would be the height of The Empire State Building.

Fixin to ........(hardcore country speak)

I recollect

waddup?

I'm pumped ...major GRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrr

infommercial

televangelist

"power" breakfast/lunch

famous for being famous

upwardly mobile

hipper than thou crowd

any commercial or film that features talking animals and babies.............big time worn out!

I also can't stand it when referring to a time in the future, a person uses the suffix "ISH." They said: "I'll see you around 9ish or 10ish." Just say "around 9 or 10."

I also can't stand it when referring to a time in the future, a person uses the suffix "ISH." They said: "I'll see you around 9ish or 10ish." Just say "around 9 or 10."

I will say it again, that closet case fat @$$, Sam Malone on 96.5 ALWAYS says that when refering to times that celebrities will call in the show for interview or a contest time.

I hate it. He just annoys me. -_-

Thank you for mentioning that, I hate is too! B)

I hate when restaurants claim to serve "home made" food.

Well, they could bend it by saying, taste like home made.

• 3 weeks later...
If we were all around each other, all day long, do you realize how much we'd get on each other's nerves?

Everyone's so "nitpicky" (how about that one?)

I've never liked the euphemisms for death:

Passed away

Entered the kingdom of God

Went to his/her rest

Went to live with the Lord

Entered the Pearly Gates

I'm almost certain that many of you out there will come up with more of them.

I like to say "kicked the bucket." I feel it is more refined. -_-

add:

Went to meet his "maker".

Crossed the river Jordan.

Now here is one word that has been beaten into the ground when ever you hear of a board meeting or consensus of a companies present status...

Robust

Good lord they have over used that damned word for the last 3-4 years! Still hear it on TV, radio

grrrrrrrrr....... :angry2:

I hate it when white, suburban women call me "girl" or "girlfriend." Are they trying to be all ghettofabulous or something? Retarded.

And even though I am not remotely religious, it really bugs me when people say "Oh my God" over and over. Its like they have nothing more original to say and have no respect for those that take that as a slur or a slam.

I hate it when white, suburban women call me "girl" or "girlfriend." Are they trying to be all ghettofabulous or something? Retarded.

And even though I am not remotely religious, it really bugs me when people say "Oh my God" over and over. Its like they have nothing more original to say and have no respect for those that take that as a slur or a slam.

Yes, I've noticed that girls/women can "get away" with calling their female friend "girlfriends," but let a man call his male friends "boyfriends" and he'll get beat up bad.

Yes, when I was in high school, we had a substitute teacher one day who was a pastor. One of the students was having trouble figuring out a math problem and he said: "Oh, lordy mercy!" That substitute teacher said: "DON'T YOU EVER LET ME HEAR YOU SAY ANYTHING LIKE THAT EVER AGAIN!"

Archived