O' Reilly Vs. Rivera

DJ V Lawrence

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you agree with in this particular debate?

• Bill O'Reilly
    • Geraldo Rivera

In case you missed it, check this out...

Video of the debate

2 teenage girls in Virginia were killed by a drunk driver, who was later found out to be an illegal immigrant. A debate got a little heated over whether this story is about drunk driving or illegal immigration. O'Reilly said it's a story on immigration, whereas Rivera says it about drunk drining. Who do you agree with?

Holy cow, that was heated. And that may be an understatement.

I'm not sure. But Bill is correct that he should have been deported long ago. Especially if what he said is true that this was his FOURTH DUI offense. It's about drunk driving too though.

My answer, both. It was already about illegal immigration before he committed the crime. It became an even bigger issue after he committed the crime.

Holy cow, that was heated. And that may be an understatement.

I'm not sure. But Bill is correct that he should have been deported long ago. Especially if what he said is true that this was his FOURTH DUI offense. It's about drunk driving too though.

My answer, both. It was already about illegal immigration before he committed the crime. It became an even bigger issue after he committed the crime.

BTW, Olbermann named Geraldo the first-ever "Best Person in the World" :)

I think it's more about drunk driving than Illegal immigration. The fact that the person was drunk and killed two kids should be the higher topic as opposed to whether or not he was illegal.

While the guy shouldn't have been in the country to begin with, it could just as easily been Billy Bob Bubba behind the wheel.

I believe that if a crime is committed by ANYONE their legal status should be put on there, be it legal or not.

The fact that some people in the news are going out of their way to point out that illegals are committing various crimes is just another attempt at sensationalizing and fear-mongering. j

If you're going to do that, be even more UN-PC and declare the race of every crime committed from DWI to theft, to murder.

so you're blaming it on the two girls that died? C'mon now.

How much of that wine have you polished off, Ricco? I'm referring to O' Reilly Vs. Rivera. You know, the topics of this thread. :D

The fact that some people in the news are going out of their way to point out that illegals are committing various crimes is just another attempt at sensationalizing and fear-mongering. j

It's hardly any trouble to point out that they're an illegal. We report race for any other crime and race is not a crime, being an illegal is.

How much of that wine have you polished off, Ricco? I'm referring to O' Reilly Vs. Rivera. You know, the topics of this thread. :D

While I'm not fond of either one and if given a single bullet to shoot one of my choice, I'd line them up and hope the bullet passes through them both! When discussing about the actual topic, I'd have say this is more of a Drunk Driving story.

It's hardly any trouble to point out that they're an illegal. We report race for any other crime and race is not a crime, being an illegal is.

while the story itself is tragic, would it have made it less tragic if a LEGAL alien was involved?

C'mon.

And yes, the one was good DBT. :)

In case you missed it, check this out...

Video of the debate

2 teenage girls in Virginia were killed by a drunk driver, who was later found out to be an illegal immigrant. A debate got a little heated over whether this story is about drunk driving or illegal immigration. O'Reilly said it's a story on immigration, whereas Rivera says it about drunk drining. Who do you agree with?

I think the real debate is drunk driving in this case. The fact that he is an alleged illegal immigrant is secondary and therefore a secondary argument.

It's mixing two different themes and trying to prove the point that illegals shouldn't be in this country based on the actions of one of them. I agree they shouldn't be in the country illegally, but tying it to a crime of drunk driving is skating on very thin ice for me.

... while the story itself is tragic, would it have made it less tragic if a LEGAL alien was involved?

C'mon.

My point exactly. I think the real debate is not whether the DRUNK DRIVER was an illegal alien, but the fact that someone driving drunk, killed 2 girls.

My point exactly. I think the real debate is not whether the DRUNK DRIVER was an illegal alien, but the fact that someone driving drunk, killed 2 girls.

Without a doubt it's tragic that two girls were killed by a drunk driver. But is it not factual that it was an illegal? Wouldn't it be irresponsible journalism to neglect the public of that fact?

I would say the main story are the girls though.

O'Reilly said it's a story on immigration, whereas Rivera says it about drunk drining. Who do you agree with?

I really can't vote as I haven't seen the video. Like I was telling my older sister this morning, I still don't make the time for nor have the inclination to watch trailer trash TV. However if anyone catches me doing it, feel free to employ Ralo to shoot me in the head with lockmat's gun.

I really can't vote as I haven't seen the video. Like I was telling my older sister this morning, I still don't make the time for nor have the inclination to watch trailer trash TV. However if anyone catches me doing it, feel free to employ Ralo to shoot me in the head with lockmat's gun.

LOL, nmainguy. Where's this hostility coming from? I have nothing against you.

Without a doubt it's tragic that two girls were killed by a drunk driver. But is it not factual that it was an illegal? Wouldn't it be irresponsible journalism to neglect the public of that fact?

I would say the main story are the girls though.

Was the sex of the driver identified? Wouldn't it be irresponsible journalism to neglect the public of that fact?

Well no it wouldn't be irresponsible but you and I know i'm just funnin' with you :P

BTW, you are spot-on: it is all about the girls and not about the legal status of the drunk. A drunk is a drunk is a drunk.

I s'pose. But it WAS a VERY heated argument. I almost thought they were gonna come to blows. If that had happened, my bet woulda been on Rivera.

I know. I don't think I've ever seen formal members of the media get that angry on live television for such a long period of time. I was stunned myself.

I really suggest you watch the interview. It seems that people that don't like FoxNews enjoy the video more that anyone :)

Guest Marty

I seen the interview i would have to agree with Bill O'Reilly. I thought it was a good debate on the subject, very passionate on both sides.

The way I see it, if I vote for one or the other, and that person got the most votes, then I would have contributed to having one or the other declared "the winner". I just can't handle that responsiblity.

Say, how 'bout we keep the illegals and deport O'Reiley and Rivera?

The way I see it, if I vote for one or the other, and that person got the most votes, then I would have contributed to having one or the other declared "the winner". I just can't handle that responsiblity.

Say, how 'bout we keep the illegals and deport O'Reiley and Rivera?

AMEN to that brother!

O'Rielly is a hypocrite and Rivera is just....weird. I enjoyed him when he was on 20/20, but after that (and before that for that matter) he was just plain annoying.

They're both as passionate about their beliefs as anyone here. That doesn't make them scumbags.

Having a close family member killed by a drunk driver in 1986, I'm a little biased. I really could care less about the man's legal status as it pertains to this case only. Now, if it happens to interfere with his trial (or lack of one) and punishment, then yes, it becomes front and center, IMHO, and is absolutely relevant.

They're both as passionate about their beliefs as anyone here. That doesn't make them scumbags.

Having a close family member killed by a drunk driver in 1986, I'm a little biased. I really could care less about the man's legal status as it pertains to this case only. Now, if it happens to interfere with his trial (or lack of one) and punishment, then yes, it becomes front and center, IMHO, and is absolutely relevant.

That's my point exactly. Their legal status is not relevant to a case (except for bail, which should automatically be denied in that case) whatsoever. usually they will let an illegal serve a sentence before deporting them, as far as I know.

Being hit by a naturalized citizen makes the girls just as dead and does little to console the family if at all. again, it's just another case of fear mongering.

O'Reilly comes pretty close to starting down the path that all 'illegal' immigrants are bad. That's a dangerous generalization. IMO someone being drunk and killing two girls is a horrible crime and should take precedence over where the person is from.

It's also quite ridiculous that someone who is 'illegal' is here still after 1 DUI offense, let alone 4. It's a pretty safe bet that this person wasn't a contributing 'illegal' resident like so many others are. If that can be proven about a person, then send them home...but generalizing an entire 'class' of people b/c some jerk got drunk and ran over 2 little kids isn't healthy for our country.

So I'll ask another question: what do you do with this person? If we put them in jail 'we' as tax payers pay for his costs...if we deport him he could get off free. Doing both might make sense, but again, costing us tax dollars...that is a hard sell for me.

• 4 months later...

O'Reilly is alright but Geraldo Rivera is a trader or stupid.

What sparked the controversy was a Monday report by Rivera that U.S. military officials said violated an important Pentagon rule imposed on its so-called embedded correspondents working inside fighting U.S. military units. Rivera had provided crucial details of a future military operation, officials said.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/31/sprj.irq.rivera/

Archived