Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

Neither 1000 Main or 5 Houston Center are bad designs, but they are not the kind that will turn up in architecture books either, especially the latter.

Agreed. To me, 5 Houston Center looks like a giant pair of French doors.

5HoustonCenter-002.jpg

I saw someone wanted to see where on a map the tower would be located, and I just foudn this from the chronicle, thought it might be helpful.

Also, if I am right it says 31 stories, and since it is LEED, does that mean you are looking at around 500ft, before any roof orniments?

bz03_27___bz0327site.gif

If you look at Chevron's two towers, you will find remarkable architecture that is neither cheap nor cheesey. Its circular skywalk adds to the beauty of the world class buildings. So, I wouldn't say that our skyline looks cheap. In fact, it is downright spectacular. In fact, a group of British tourists (read Hoffman's column in the Chron) were impressed with how green Houston is and the downtown skyline. I do believe we will see some very nice work in the next few years.

If you look at Chevron's two towers, you will find remarkable architecture that is neither cheap nor cheesey. Its circular skywalk adds to the beauty of the world class buildings. So, I wouldn't say that our skyline looks cheap. In fact, it is downright spectacular. In fact, a group of British tourists (read Hoffman's column in the Chron) were impressed with how green Houston is and the downtown skyline. I do believe we will see some very nice work in the next few years.

Nice article. It may justify its own thread.

Edited by lockmat

green is atleast the new fade, and is something that should be looked at in all cities. I think it adds to the community and appeal, but more so it adds to teh community engagement to really recreate an area that molds together.

A sidebar discussion on church architecture was moved to a new topic here.

If you look at Chevron's two towers, you will find remarkable architecture that is neither cheap nor cheesey. Its circular skywalk adds to the beauty of the world class buildings. So, I wouldn't say that our skyline looks cheap. In fact, it is downright spectacular.

The skyline is spectacular. But that doesn't mean that all the buildings are the quality of Enron/Chevron. For every classic such as Pennzoil there is a turkey like Allen Center. I think we would all like Disco Tower to be something as classic as the former.

Houston's native style: glass and more glass. It's HOT out there!

Actually, I really do think colorful glass, although not unique to Houston, seems to be a more prevalent design element with regard to DT's highrises--at least, where the newest towers are concerned.

We need something like this (The Sony Tower --formerly AT&T Tower in NYC). I always thought it would have looked better, and be more appreciated, in Houston.

(**I wonder if AT&T regrets selling it to Sony .. .since now AT&T has been reconstituted from all their previous splits).

post-1608-1175340630.jpg

We need something like this (The Sony Tower --formerly AT&T Tower in NYC). I always thought it would have looked better, and be more appreciated, in Houston.

Aside from the Seagram Building (and most people credit Mies for that), Philip Johnson never really achieved the level of acceptance in NYC that he did in Houston.

I agree. We're more his kind of town.

Aside from the Seagram Building (and most people credit Mies for that), Philip Johnson never really achieved the level of acceptance in NYC that he did in Houston.

I agree. We're more his kind of town.

Well it must be hard to compete in such a city, when you have icons every other block or so.

Honestly I think the architecture in Houston is rather repetitious and just flat boring. Other than ther Heritage Plaza, 700 Louisiana, and Williams, not much can be said for such a powerhouse of a city. Houston needs to put on the ritz. The Houston skyline, though impressive, is dark. It can hardly be seen from the air flying in at night or driving down 45 for that matter. Anybody remember the Power of Houston display they had back, I believe in 86' and again in 97', when they had lazer lights and fireworks coming out of the buildings? That made a statement. For a city of such importance and such wealth and such growth for that matter, Houston really seems to be dragging it's feet.

As a side note, Houston is the only city I've been to, and I've been to a lot of cities, that seems to be proud of its ghettos. You drive down 10 (inside the loop) down 45 (inside the belt) or 59 Estex and it's an eye sore. Come on Houston, you have a lot to be proud of!

Although I completely disagree with Wxman's assessment of Houston's architecture, I do agree with you Trae that Houston's nightime illumination is dismal. It amazes me that no one on the city council takes a more proactive stance in this regards.

As great as the DT Houston skyline is, it's embarrassing at night.

It can hardly be seen from the air flying in at night
guess you're not aware of light pollution. federal guidelines are more strict even in something simple as a street light. they spent quite a bit at work to replace perfectly good street lights (federal facility) and when i asked about it, they said federal standards have changed for their facilities. when i've flown in i've had no problem seeing downtown in the evening. if you want massive spotlights, etc go to a gentleman's club.

In terms of the Discovery Tower design. Like most of us, i certainly hope it becomes iconic because of its avante garde design. Considering that Houston will not get a supertall for some time now, the towers she does erect should really be cutting edge. I suppose we will see just how daring the powers that be are going to choose. On the one hand, especially when it comes to highrise residential, i know most people in Houston want something stately looking. But one or two bold designs would be nice.

guess you're not aware of light pollution. federal guidelines are more strict even in something simple as a street light. they spent quite a bit at work to replace perfectly good street lights (federal facility) and when i asked about it, they said federal standards have changed for their facilities. when i've flown in i've had no problem seeing downtown in the evening. if you want massive spotlights, etc go to a gentleman's club.

I think what DT's buildings need are more towers that take an interest in lighting up at night. Wells Fargo, Esperson, Reliant, Continental and Chevron are examples. Houston could be more beautiful at night.

2 HC was finished in 1974, 1 HC in 1978, so it is likely in that range. Also, further down San Jacinto, it appears that the South Texas College of Law is not there yet. It was built in 1976, so perhaps the photo is between 1974 and 1976.

Oh, and another vote against 'native style'. I don't think Houston has one. It merely had a building boom during the 70s and early 80s. The style of architecture during that period is not native to Houston.

After reading this forum for at least two years, I figured I'd start posting. RedScare, I totally agree with you. I've thought a lot about whether it would be possible for a native Houston "style" to manifest. It's easier for other places to do this because they can draw upon elements and motifs of indigenous/traditional/historical architecture, but we lack such a foundation here. The next best option I think is to develop a sort of style that reflects our identity as a "modern" city, i.e. innovative, and especially one that takes into account and works with our climate. If I were mayor I would develop an initiative to mandate that all new public edifices would have to be built on the LEED scale.

After reading this forum for at least two years, I figured I'd start posting. RedScare, I totally agree with you. I've thought a lot about whether it would be possible for a native Houston "style" to manifest. It's easier for other places to do this because they can draw upon elements and motifs of indigenous/traditional/historical architecture, but we lack such a foundation here. The next best option I think is to develop a sort of style that reflects our identity as a "modern" city, i.e. innovative, and especially one that takes into account and works with our climate. If I were mayor I would develop an initiative to mandate that all new public edifices would have to be built on the LEED scale.

Good points. I think true regional architectural styles have died out in the US, but it would be nice to see buildings at least more specifically adopted to the local climate. For example, a lot of skyscrapers built in the 1950s-1960s have balconies or overhangs that help provide shade and reduce cooling costs (e.g. First City, Melrose, Wortham, Tenneco, Fannin Bank, and Exxon). You idea to mandate LEED certification for new municipal buildings makes sense.

As great as the DT Houston skyline is, it's embarrassing at night.

I agree. And to top it off, Wells Fargo Plaza ( which was one of the best lit of Houston skyscrapers) seems to have completely stopped their white neon on top of the building. It angers me that the buildings with the ugly white Christmas lights haven't stopped.

My main gripe w/ houston skyline @ night is that it needs to get rid of the christmas lights and replace with some nice colorful lights.

I agree. And to top it off, Wells Fargo Plaza ( which was one of the best lit of Houston skyscrapers) seems to have completely stopped their white neon on top of the building. It angers me that the buildings with the ugly white Christmas lights haven't stopped.

My main gripe w/ houston skyline @ night is that it needs to get rid of the christmas lights and replace with some nice colorful lights.

I love seeing the white Christmas lights on all the buildings Uptown at Christmas time. I look forward to it every year. Do they have these lights on year round downtown?

LEED isn't a style. Certainly not a native Houston style.

Agreed on Wells Fargo! It's my fave DT. It seemed to have some issues recently. The neon seems to be in several segments and many segments wouldn't light up so it looked discontinuous. Hopefully they fix is b/c that was the best lighting scheme of all the dominant west facing towers. I do like Reliant, Continental, and Chevron, though.

Too bad more isn't done with Heritage Plaza. I'm thinking rooftop spotlights to highlight the temple-crown of the building. Same idea for Pennzoil. I don't know what I'd do with JPMC.

Too bad more isn't done with Heritage Plaza. I'm thinking rooftop spotlights to highlight the temple-crown of the building. Same idea for Pennzoil. I don't know what I'd do with JPMC.

You might remember they tried a neon outline of the temple on top of the Heritage plaza facing wast a few years back, but it ended up just looking like some strange blob of a shape to me. Somebody must have agreed, because it didn't last long. Sure seems like they could do better than that. Putting some subtle neon where the red & white christmas lights have been in the past (parallel lines on either side of the temple, stepping up the side) might look nice.

I think you have to be careful with this stuff though. I always hated the Green neon on the Wedge International Tower. Knowing that building was owned by the same company that owns the larger and more interesting Green-neon building in Dallas always made the Wedge seem like a knock-off to me. I don't want Houston's skyline -- which is worlds better than Dallas' in the daytime (IMHO) -- looking like a Dallas wannabe at night. I'd rather Houston simply be known for its awesome daytime skyline than have it go Vegas at night just for the sake of lighting it up like other cities.

(By the way, I know that the term "subtle neon" may be an oxymoron -- I mean it in the relative sense, of course. :) )

Agreed on Wells Fargo! It's my fave DT. It seemed to have some issues recently. The neon seems to be in several segments and many segments wouldn't light up so it looked discontinuous. Hopefully they fix is b/c that was the best lighting scheme of all the dominant west facing towers. I do like Reliant, Continental, and Chevron, though.

I would somehow light up the two corner which seperate the 5th side from the rest of the building.

LEED isn't a style. Certainly not a native Houston style.

You're right. LEED isn't a style. However, sometimes architectural themes can be symbolic in nature, and given the whole "Houston and energy" thing, I think an adoption of LEED standards in such a way would make a statement about Houston's role in energy, not only in its production and trade, but in its conservation as well. My statement about LEED was more or less a digression from the main thrust of my post, but I do think Houston's architecture could be more symbolic of Houston's role in the energy industry, and that could be indicative of a native Houston style.

I'd rather not have any neon lighting. If any lights are gonna be on, for the most part, natural light that bulbs create look best IMO.

I agree, would resemble the next thing to becoming Las Vegas-like.

Something like on the Frost Bank in Austin is subtle but still stand out of the skyline without looking overly done.

I agree, would resemble the next thing to becoming Las Vegas-like.

Something like on the Frost Bank in Austin is subtle but still stand out of the skyline without looking overly done.

Yeah the fact of it being the tallest and only one with a crown has absolutely nothing to do with it...