Meyerland/Willowbend/Westbury Real Estate

slck2

Anyone know the resale value of a home in this area that backs up to Brays Bayou? Ever hear of any major flooding in this area? Do homeowners over there have a hard time resaling with profit especially those along the bayou corridor?

Also, what is the avearge market time for these homes? Should one be concerned if a home has been sitting to long in this area?

Lots of questions . . . but I need lots of answers. Thanks for ANY info you can contribute.

• Like 1

Anyone know the resale value of a home in this area that backs up to Brays Bayou? Ever hear of any major flooding in this area? Do homeowners over there have a hard time resaling with profit especially those along the bayou corridor?

Also, what is the avearge market time for these homes? Should one be concerned if a home has been sitting to long in this area?

Lots of questions . . . but I need lots of answers. Thanks for ANY info you can contribute.

Just FYI I did go to the TARPS website when I called to speak to them they stated that gims public website is more accurate (& what the city uses) to determine flood zone areas. There was a bit of discrepency between the two.

yeah but i think they would be in agreement that Brays in that area has issues.

My aunt bought a home in that area near the bayou around 1970 and they had serious problems with sewage backing up as a result of the high waters nearby. Hasn't changed much in 30 plus years but I'm sure someone will join in and shoot down my true fact. I know an older couple that said the city is doing major work to correct and it could take may years to complete, they could be exagerrating but this is Houston and it sounds about right. I would stay away from bayou homes they are pretty in pleasant weather but oh when the rains cometh... :)

• Like 1

GSUTiger...lol..

I grew up near Post Oak but on the other side of main...with Windsor Village getting a new church and the new roads out there my old area is the place to be finally.....Hillcorft and BW8 is undergoing massive growth and how that takes off will determone how things grow...but we're only 12 miles from downtown and with main being an expressway we're in one of the better parts of town

• Like 1

My sister lives in that general area and I have never known her to experience flooding. I wish I knew her subdivision's name but it zoned to Westbury, but closer to S. Main and ... dammit, what is that street... (she's off of Ashcroft)

• Like 1

what year you finished from GSU? I'm a PV grad but have the strongest connection to GSU literally right about now

1999. Proud Tiger :D

My sister lives in that general area and I have never known her to experience flooding. I wish I knew her subdivision's name but it zoned to Westbury, but closer to S. Main and ... dammit, what is that street... (she's off of Ashcroft)

I have talked to a few people in the Westbury area & they have stated they have not flooded (some who sit on the bayou as well. However, Harris County & FEMA has them lying smack dab in the middle of a floodway. Trying to get answers out of there civic organziations, but not finding to much help from the people there.

I work at GSU....just left Houston this weekend but Shreveport is my new favorite place because it reminds me of a decent city as I can't get home as much

I saw they bulldozed the strip on Post Oak where Gulf Shores used to be...it fronts Gasmer and I know it was on that Bayou Redevelopment site

Where I grew up (Briargate)..I've never seen a flood to this day..when Allison hit...we were high and dry...but the back part of the neighborhood isn't developed and left in its original state due to oil wells and the antennas which probably helps control floods...

• Like 1

You may find this website of interest as you research Brays Bayou watershed flooding: http://www.projectbrays.org/index.asp

HCFCD is working on over 70 projects throughout the Brays Bayou watershed. According to the website, channel modifications are underway between the mouth of Brays and Lawndale. Next phases of channel modifications are Calhoun to Ardmore (basically UH to 288) and Holcombe to Braeswood (Med Center).

HCFCD is also underway on the Willow Waterhole Detention Basin at S Post Oak and S Main. That's where they bought up a bunch of old apartments, demolished them, and will replace them with 280 acres of detention basins that include parks and recreation features.

I also recall hearing that part of Project Brays is the replacement of something like 50 bridges over Brays Bayou to increase capacity of the bayou.

These are long-term projects...think on the order of a decade, not weeks or months.

[EDIT: I guess me and travelguy are on the same wavelength this morning. He's just on a faster wave.]

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Prices are definitely on the rise. I bought my first home there (actually in Parkwest, which is basically Westbury). The value is up about 30% since I sold in 01.

With Meyerland out of reach of the average homeowner (I realize it has been for a while), and Willow Meadows, Maplewood, et al, going the same directions, Westbury and Willowbend are the next logical choice.

• 3 months later...

From Houston Press Best Of Houston 2007

Best Hidden Neighborhood (2007)

Westbury

This Southwest Houston neighborhood has had a bit of a bad rap, some of it connected to relocated Katrina victims. But, despite the catfight at Westbury High last year, a lot of that involved the victims as victims, not as perpetrators. Other

• Like 1

Westbury is so vast, it varies section by section. I prefer nearby Willowbrook and Willowbend, which are located on the eastern edge of that massive Ranch style spread in the SW. It's encouraging to see the area get some new residents who appreciate the architecture and will spare the area from going into decades of decline (hopefully) and tacky remodels like so many other older, formerly suburban nabes.

I agree with the article that the homes are fairly easy to restore or renovate, although the old slabs can be costly to fix, and the floor plans aren't obsolete like more ancient homes. I would guess that the current herd of buyers probably are going for the granite/stainless/gleaming wood floor look. Hopefully a lot of those original colored tile bathrooms will be saved along the way.

Okay, I'm glad it wasn't just me. It seems like the Press doesn't want to tell their readership anything they didn't already know in this category. I think last year or year before they picked the 6th ward. Again, great area but hardly what I would describe as hidden. They never seem to exactly "go out on a limb" with their selections. I also think "hidden" implies somewhat "undiscovered" with pricing that reflects that. Especially in sections 1 & 2 of Westbury and the northern parts of Parkwest prices would definitely indicate the area has been "discovered" already. I think the Press is about 3 or 4 years late on this for Westbury, it has graduated beyond that status IMO. It is still good press for the area anyway.

I did notice Westbury ranked in two other categories, Westbury Square for best ruins, and the Cozy Corner for something.

Keep in mind, if you're frequent to HAIF, there probably isn't much "hidden" anywhere in this city.

To most of Houston, Westbury is hidden as far as potential and what's going on there in terms of real estate. I bet most of Houston has no clue where Westbury is.

Keep in mind, if you're frequent to HAIF, there probably isn't much "hidden" anywhere in this city.

To most of Houston, Westbury is hidden as far as potential and what's going on there in terms of real estate. I bet most of Houston has no clue where Westbury is.

Very true.

I propose we at HAIF produce our own "Hidden Nabe" report, in a separate topic, of course.

Anyone?