Meyerland/Willowbend/Westbury Real Estate

slck2

I am a nurse so I will be at work either leaving or coming at 7am. My husband will may also be in the med center and he will most likely be getting to work around 8am. And lets say no further than Hillcroft. I am mainly just getting information and haven't picked any specific place. I kind of want a worst case scenario.

It depends what time (6:30,7:00,7:30,7:45,8:00) and it depends which section of westbury. It stretches all the way from S.Post oak to west of Hillcroft.

flipper

Does anyone know what the commute would be coming in to the medical center from Westbury? Most likely I would take Main St/Hwy 90A. Thanks for any help :-)

I would take Braeswood if I was going from Westbury to Medical Center. I would say around 20-30 minutes if you are leaving around 7.

Edited by kdog08

Houston Mod is looking for volunteers who have the time to search out plans and architects there in Meyerland. It will be my main project this summer. I've got a growing list of addresses that will be researched.

My other project is to scan in vintage magazine photos to share.

Jason

I would be willing to help in this effort. I teach at UH, so I also have access to all of their architectural magazines. In fact, I have spent many, many hours poring over issues looking for specific locales in Architectural Digest, et al.

The help will be much appreciated. Do you work there over the summer too? If so we can definitely collaborate.

Another thing that would be great would be an archive of all the Houston houses that appeared in all those magazines. I've got a bunch of xerox copies that I've found over the last couple of summers. Most of mine were found through that big green Avery index, but I know that's not all that's out there.

The reason all my research isn't on our website yet is just time and sometimes a lack of vintage photos. We need to pay our respects to more of the "lost moderns", but time has been a factor. We also worry a little about copyright, but I don't think it will be that big a deal. If someone wants us to take an old photo down we will.

Thanks for the offer!

Jason

I would be willing to help in this effort. I teach at UH, so I also have access to all of their architectural magazines. In fact, I have spent many, many hours poring over issues looking for specific locales in Architectural Digest, et al.

I reverse commute to Missouri City from inside the loop via 90-A.

I'm done by 8-8:30 so can't speak to later (or pre-7 am) commutes, but in my experience 90-A is the best way to head out to the Med Center. NEVER take S. Post Oak to the 610 Loop. Why mingle w/the Galleria gang? You probably already knew that...

I agree w/LF: 90A/Main @ 610 can be a mess. If it is a catastrophe, consider a small "backtrack"...exit Willowbend/Stella Link and follow

Stella Link north. You may either then approach 610/Main via the feeder heading east or just stay on Stella Link to one of the Braeswoods (N. is

less beat up, but has more traffic., S. Braeswood in that area is little more than a series of craters ;) ). Both Braeswoods will get you to S. Main. Another option is SL straight up to Holcombe. This route is heavy on school zones and there is still some Holcombe construction.

Many folks on your side of town prefer a less-frenetic commute. If you're not like me (always almost late), just take Hillcroft (or any N-S route) to N.

Braeswood. You just stay on it for miles, then turn left on Main. It's not blazing fast, but is predictable. Not much road rage compared to our highway system.

From Westbury, you have a very reasonable commute relative to most drivers, and loads of alternative surface streets. It's entirely bearable!

In closing, congrats on your excellent taste in academic institutions, and THANK YOU for becoming a nurse. That makes you an invaluable asset to our community. Here's to smooth commutes for our valued nurses!

Edited by InTheLoop

• 4 weeks later...

A friend is looking at houses in this area, but I'm not much help as I'm unfamiliar with this part of town. Does anyone have any input as to pros/cons? He asked me about the Randall's shopping center at Bellfort and Post Oak, but I didn't know much about it. He is worried that it may bring down property values or increase crime. (Apparently much of the strip is empty.) Are there plans to renovate? Also, he said there are some industrial park buildings and rundown apartments scattered nearby, maybe closer to Stella Link. Are these an issue to those who live there? Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I had a house on O'Meara near Nenana for a while, and I cannot think of anything bad to say about Willow Meadows. Strong civic association, well-priced compared to Meyerland, and the railroad nearby is a quiet zone (it wasn't when I lived there). The Randall's shopping center has been regularly vacant for a long time, but it hasn't hampered resale from what I have seen. One note: the side of the neighborhood closest to the loop is zoned to Bellaire, and the other side is zoned to Westbury HS. Funny enough, the homes in the Westbury HS side are actually nicer, IMO.

There is an inner loop section of WM that got hit pretty hard during Alison, as evidenced by the crazy quilt of new (raised) homes and original ranchers.

Willow Meadows is still one of my favorite old neighborhoods.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I drove through there with him this weekend, and I agree with you about the neighborhood closest to the loop. The other areas seem to be nicer. The Randall's strip (I think it's called Meyer Park) didn't look that bad, but if just a few more places went out of business, it would seem a little abandoned.

He may buy in this area but is still unsure. Someone at his work told him that many families send their kids to private school. That area may top out in terms of resale at some point because why not pay just a little more (as prices are rising) to the west or north and use good public schools?

Anyway, thanks again for your opinion.

Thanks for the reply. I drove through there with him this weekend, and I agree with you about the neighborhood closest to the loop. The other areas seem to be nicer. The Randall's strip (I think it's called Meyer Park) didn't look that bad, but if just a few more places went out of business, it would seem a little abandoned.

He may buy in this area but is still unsure. Someone at his work told him that many families send their kids to private school. That area may top out in terms of resale at some point because why not pay just a little more (as prices are rising) to the west or north and use good public schools?

Anyway, thanks again for your opinion.

The elementary and junior high schools in the area are good. Bellaire HS is great, but Westbury HS is not, and perhaps that is what that coworker referred to.

As far as topping out of resale at some point, in theory this applies to all areas. Willow Meadow's limit is Meyerland; Meyerland's limit is Bellaire; Bellaire's limit is perhaps West U and Memorial. It goes on and on. There is always a better area for "just a little more," but at some point the rule of diminishing returns applies. If your friend can afford $500k, then Meyerland might be a better bet, but in the $300-450k price point, in the city, there aren't a ton of other options (Woodside/Woodshire is nearby and worth considering as well).

The elementary and junior high schools in the area are good. Bellaire HS is great, but Westbury HS is not, and perhaps that is what that coworker referred to.

As far as topping out of resale at some point, in theory this applies to all areas. Willow Meadow's limit is Meyerland; Meyerland's limit is Bellaire; Bellaire's limit is perhaps West U and Memorial. It goes on and on. There is always a better area for "just a little more," but at some point the rule of diminishing returns applies. If your friend can afford $500k, then Meyerland might be a better bet, but in the $300-450k price point, in the city, there aren't a ton of other options (Woodside/Woodshire is nearby and worth considering as well).

Great analysis.

Keep in mind, you just have to be in the section north of W. Bellfort in W.M. to go to Bellaire High.

flipper

• 2 weeks later...
This one deserves it's own topic heading:

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...mp;backButton=Y

This appears to be an impressive home -- and certainly not overpriced considering what's in the package. More attention should be given to this home with respect to it's history -- who's the architect?

I wouldn't consider Bonham Acres to be in the Meyerland market... Anything west of Hillcroft is pushing it and this is west of Fondern. It is by far the most expensive home on the market in the subdivision and if it sold at list price would be the most expensive ever sold in the subdivision.

However, it is a really cool looking ranch (minus the kitchen) on a nice sized lot. Bonham Acres is a nice pocket in the area...

There was one on Tree Frog a few years back that I think was over $500K. You're right though, I wouldn't consider this Meyerland.

We had a mod of the month in the neighborhood awhile back and it could/should be a great neighborhood. But it is surrounded by some bad reputation neighborhoods, whether or not that's deserved, I don't know. It's part of that "inner ring" between the loop and the beltway that seems to be down these days.

There are a bunch of houses over there that we should know the architects of and don't. Maybe the architects there didn't get a lot of press.

Jason

I wouldn't consider Bonham Acres to be in the Meyerland market... Anything west of Hillcroft is pushing it and this is west of Fondern. It is by far the most expensive home on the market in the subdivision and if it sold at list price would be the most expensive ever sold in the subdivision.

However, it is a really cool looking ranch (minus the kitchen) on a nice sized lot. Bonham Acres is a nice pocket in the area...

There was one on Tree Frog a few years back that I think was over $500K. You're right though, I wouldn't consider this Meyerland.

We had a mod of the month in the neighborhood awhile back and it could/should be a great neighborhood. But it is surrounded by some bad reputation neighborhoods, whether or not that's deserved, I don't know. It's part of that "inner ring" between the loop and the beltway that seems to be down these days.

There are a bunch of houses over there that we should know the architects of and don't. Maybe the architects there didn't get a lot of press.

Jason

I remember looking at two homes on Tree Frog Ln... One of them was "flipped" and I remember being shocked that a re-modeler would attempt to sell something for $500k in that area. I believe it sold for something in the low $400s which makes it much less than this house per sf because that home was well over 5000 SF and sat on almost 3 acres. Regardless, Tree Frog LN is in the Black JR subdivision which is a really cool little pocket--it's like you entered a different town when you drive down that bumpy one lane street.

My wife and I have found a house we very much like in Post Oak Manor (South of Willowbend, East of South Post Oak). We've talked to 1 or 2 residents and they have said the area is very safe, but I am unsure. Do any of you have any experience or advice with this neighborhood or Westbury?

Specifically the strip of South Post Oak from 610 to 90 just seems very rough. Should I be worried about this when buying a house several blocks from here?

Any help or advice is very much appreciated..

As long as you aren't on the first street off of S. Post Oak, you'll be fine. The neighborhood is actually pretty well insulated from the influences of seedy commercial properties, and on every other side of it (other than S. Post Oak) is vacant land or large utility easements. There don't appear to be very many apartments nearby, either.

Long term, the commercial offerings will improve as the demographics improve.

I have lived on Willowbend almost exclusively since 1974. Willow Meadows, Willowbend, and Post Oak Manor are great neighborhoods. There are lots of us (grew up here, living in the ancestral home, or moved back into the old neighborhood) here. Drive by Willow Park on Cliffwood on a nice afternoon and see all the kids. What you get here is a good value in a home and location that CANNOT BE BEAT!

In fact, welcome to the neighborhood!

• 2 months later...

We moved to Westbury, near Parker, from The Montrose four years ago and have been very happy with how quiet the neighborhood is. There are far more kids than you might think if you just drove through on a hot Summer afternoon. I guess between air conditioning and Nintendo, not many kids play outdoors. You do see them on school days, though, as they tote their cellos and violins to the music magnet at Parker.

All that being said, we are also disappointed by... how quiet the neighborhood is. We have a 3 year old daughter so we are not looking for wild night life, but there is a real scarcity of any restaurants or even a neighborhood pub. Our neighbors across the street and their four (!) kids moved in a year or two before we did and they too are disappointed by the lack of any good watering holes.

• The title was changed to Meyerland/Willowbend/Westbury Real Estate
  • The title was changed to Westbury/Willowbend/South Post Oak Rd.