Anadarko To Lay Off 1,000 Employees In The Woodlands

mrfootball

When I worked for them, they were very proud of the fact that they never had a layoff, even during the oil bust.

Surprising to me, that they've had such a huge layoff even while oil is gangbusters.

I guess, they had to get rid of the all the extra-weight gathered during all of these acquisitions?

When I worked for them, they were very proud of the fact that they never had a layoff, even during the oil bust.

Surprising to me, that they've had such a huge layoff even while oil is gangbusters.

I guess, they had to get rid of the all the extra-weight gathered during all of these acquisitions?

evidently the layoffs had been talked about for quite some time but the actual date wasn't. my IT friend there was saying that with all the acquistions they've made (kerr mcgee/western/etc) they did need time to settle down. the next rumor was that perhaps in 6 months exxon or shell will come in a buy them out.

Im always sad to hear of layoffs like this. but the only successful mergers and takeovers are the ones that combine opts. and cut off the overlaps--excess fat. The quicker the better. :( :( :(

I have been through upteen milliion of these oil mergers and downturns and after the last one, decided to get the heck out of Dodge myself. Too stressful. It is good when it is good but when it turns sour, there are better things to do with one's life. Wishing them all well in their new adventures in business life. Some will go to service companies, some to competitors, some to retirement, some to teaching and others to completely new vocations.

Good luck folks. Best to ya! Meet ya at the Irish bar. Life is just starting another chapter.

They make billions. This is a ruse so they can keep the shareholders happy and KEEP making billions.

Don't get played. It's always the expendable employees that get the boot, not corporate excesses.

They make billions. This is a ruse so they can keep the shareholders happy and KEEP making billions.

Don't get played. It's always the expendable employees that get the boot, not corporate excesses.

There is no ruse. What good would be done to the economy by keeping people on staff unnecessarily? :wacko:

There is no ruse. What good would be done to the economy by keeping people on staff unnecessarily? :wacko:

Technology and business continously change toward efficiencies. That translates to fewer people to do the same amount of work. Some work is contracted or outsourced.

I hope these folks get a great severance. A company in the past was able to split the severance over two years to help distribute payment and minimize taxes to the employee but now that appears to have been altered to require payment in the same year. Distributing social security paymenbts over two years also has a nice benefit in earning points and capturing two years of a significant income for SS.

According to this article, Anadarko apparently had layoffs in 2003.

They notified the state back in January that they expected at least 500 "layoffs" between January and May, mostly as a result of asset sales. It is possible that some of the "layoffs" are actually people who have gone to new employers with the asset sales. Also, not all of those are in the Houston area.

Has there not been any more word about this 1,000 person layoff? Was it just a rumor?

Edited by Houston19514

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't fret too much for most of the employees. The engineers and geoscientists at Anadarko (and everywhere else for that matter) have been barraged by headhunters. While maybe not the most fun activity, finding a job should not be difficult.

Accounting/finance is still strong in Houston as well. I'm not well-informed about the IT market however.

I wouldn't fret too much for most of the employees. The engineers and geoscientists at Anadarko (and everywhere else for that matter) have been barraged by headhunters. While maybe not the most fun activity, finding a job should not be difficult.

Accounting/finance is still strong in Houston as well. I'm not well-informed about the IT market however.

I work for an oil field services company, and our CEO highlighted how there is a serious lack of experienced Geoscientists and Petroleum Engineers in the industry as a whole. Those at Anadarko who are laid off should have no trouble at all in finding a good job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, my wife and I currently live in Kentucky where I work for a coal company as a geologist and she is an elementary school special education teacher. We're strongly considering moving to the area if I can get a job as a geoscientist/geophysicist at an oil company. I understand the market is good for that right now and I assume the best way to apply would be on the company's website, but I wondered if anyone had any additional tips? Especially from the perspective of someone who works for an oil company. I've looked closely at ExxonMobil, Shell, and BP but don't know much about the non-majors. I was thinking it would be wise to work at a larger company that has a well-established training program for people new to the industry, unless any of you know otherwise. I've got two years of experience in coal and was a research assistant for a geophysicist and seismologist for six years while earning my bachelor's and master's degrees. So I have some exposure to geophyisics. Anyway, we also have been looking at moving to Sugar Land, Katy, the Woodlands, and Pearland. They all seem pretty nice. I expect the commute can be a hassle but the benefits of life near houston and working in oil seem to outweigh the negatives. I'm 32 and she's 27, will have kids in the next few years, and would like to be in an area with people in a similar stage of life. I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks

David

• 2 weeks later...
I would suggest having Chevron on your list. Although I do not know the current climate, but they are a great company for Geophysics and Geology. I have been retired for three years now.

Chevron is definitely on my list. My line of thought is that the major companies might have more to offer someone new to the industry, such as training programs, high-tech equipment, etc. I love the idea of having on-site workout facilities, good travel opportunities, and room to grow professionally. Not to mention the high salaries these days. You got to do what you can early on and try to set your family up for success later, right?

Just got an email prayer request for the 1,000 or so Anadarko employees who'll be laid off or asked to take early retirement today.

Anyone else hear about this?

Heard on HPR (Houston Public Radio) over 3 months ago. :mellow:

• The title was changed to Anadarko To Lay Off 1,000 Employees In The Woodlands