'real World' Headed To Austin

citykid09

"Real World" Hits Lone Star State

by Sarah Hall

Dec 22, 2004, 2:15 PM PT

The original reality show is making its way down to the Lone Star State.

A music-driven season 16 of MTV's The Real World will begin production in Austin early next year, the network and city officials announced Tuesday.

"Austin is one of the most dynamic and diverse cities in the United States," said Lois Curren, executive vice president of MTV Series Entertainment, in a statement.

"As the live music capital of the nation and home to a thriving college community, Austin is the perfect backdrop for The Real World's 16th season."

Previous seasons of The Real World have taken place in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, London, Miami, Boston, Seattle, Hawaii, New Orleans, Chicago, Las Vegas, Paris and San Diego.

Season 15, shot in Philadelphia, is currently airing on MTV, and has earned strong ratings for the network. The season finale is set for Feb. 22.

The 14th season, shot in San Diego, was the highest rated season in Real World history, proving that the franchise is still going strong.

The series, which debuted in New York in 1992, features a group of late teens and early 20-somethings living together for four months and having every aspect of their life captured on film "to find out what happens when they stop being polite and start getting real."

In past seasons, "getting real" has entailed everything from physical contact of a friendly nature to physical contact of a violent nature. Feelings have been hurt, hearts have been broken, eating disorders have gone into overdrive...all in the name of good television.

Now, the latest group of camera-hungry strangers is preparing to set off on a televised adventure, unmindful of the utter humiliation almost guaranteed to ensue in months to come, when their respective significant others and grandmothers tune in to their MTV-edited hijinks.

(Our advice to all Real Worlders: yes, there are cameras in the bedrooms! Don't pretend you were never warned.)

"They say everything is bigger and better in Texas, and The Real World is no exception," said Jon Murray, creator and executive producer of The Real World and president of Bunim-Murray Productions.

"Our Austin cast may be the best we've ever assembled, and I know they're going to feel right at home in this vibrant city."

Austin's mayor, Will Wynn, was enthusiastic about his city playing host to MTV's latest gaggle of hot-tub hopping, booze-swilling, loft-living strangers picked to have their lives taped.

"MTV has discovered what we all know, that Austin is a great place to live, work and play. We have a spectacular quality of life, particularly if you're young, energetic, educated, driven, and have a passion for the outdoors and live music," Wynn said in a statement.

"I'm excited about the opportunity to showcase our city to viewers around the world."

The Real World: Austin is set to debut in June.

"Real World" Hits Lone Star State

by Sarah Hall

Dec 22, 2004, 2:15 PM PT

The original reality show is making its way down to the Lone Star State.

A music-driven season 16 of MTV's The Real World will begin production in Austin early next year, the network and city officials announced Tuesday.

"Austin is one of the most dynamic and diverse cities in the United States," said Lois Curren, executive vice president of MTV Series Entertainment, in a statement.

"As the live music capital of the nation and home to a thriving college community, Austin is the perfect backdrop for The Real World's 16th season."

Previous seasons of The Real World have taken place in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, London, Miami, Boston, Seattle, Hawaii, New Orleans, Chicago, Las Vegas, Paris and San Diego.

Season 15, shot in Philadelphia, is currently airing on MTV, and has earned strong ratings for the network. The season finale is set for Feb. 22.

The 14th season, shot in San Diego, was the highest rated season in Real World history, proving that the franchise is still going strong.

The series, which debuted in New York in 1992, features a group of late teens and early 20-somethings living together for four months and having every aspect of their life captured on film "to find out what happens when they stop being polite and start getting real."

In past seasons, "getting real" has entailed everything from physical contact of a friendly nature to physical contact of a violent nature. Feelings have been hurt, hearts have been broken, eating disorders have gone into overdrive...all in the name of good television.

Now, the latest group of camera-hungry strangers is preparing to set off on a televised adventure, unmindful of the utter humiliation almost guaranteed to ensue in months to come, when their respective significant others and grandmothers tune in to their MTV-edited hijinks.

(Our advice to all Real Worlders: yes, there are cameras in the bedrooms! Don't pretend you were never warned.)

"They say everything is bigger and better in Texas, and The Real World is no exception," said Jon Murray, creator and executive producer of The Real World and president of Bunim-Murray Productions.

"Our Austin cast may be the best we've ever assembled, and I know they're going to feel right at home in this vibrant city."

Austin's mayor, Will Wynn, was enthusiastic about his city playing host to MTV's latest gaggle of hot-tub hopping, booze-swilling, loft-living strangers picked to have their lives taped.

"MTV has discovered what we all know, that Austin is a great place to live, work and play. We have a spectacular quality of life, particularly if you're young, energetic, educated, driven, and have a passion for the outdoors and live music," Wynn said in a statement.

"I'm excited about the opportunity to showcase our city to viewers around the world."

The Real World: Austin is set to debut in June.

All I can tell them is "Welcome to Texas partner'!" (is that cheesy or WHAT! LOL!) but I am excited that it went to Austin!! :)

If anything put them in a mansion on the hill!!! :-D (maybe they can show outsiders the beauty of the "Real World" in Austin. Well okay the awesome bluebonnets/Indian Paintbrushes that grow in the spring, the clubs, etc..!

I beat they will try to make Texas look bad.

ooh no doubt about that!

For some reason everytime Texas gets a reality TV show it will be sterotyped. Any cowboys or people on horseback and I'm going to either change the channel or have a good laugh being embarrassed.

Did someone tell TV producers that the only horse power we have is in our cars?

I seriously doubt they will make Austin... or Texas look bad. That show has been on for years... and when have they ever made any place look bad? C'mon, they made New Orleans look great... They didn't choose Austin to belittle it - they did it because they thought it was a compelling and different place that has a lot of appeal to young adults.

My impression is that they always show great parts of the city, nice aerial views, and some highlights of the local nightlife. Austin was a good choice (sunsets at the Oasis, nightlife on 6th Street, an emerging downtown residential/retail scene, a vibrant high-tech community, etc...). I think Austin should be a good reflection of Texas (good and bad) - and I think the Real World will be more than fair.

They always have the house work at some hip place. Any ideas for where in Austin they'd work?

Some Examples of what it's been in the past:

Hawaii - Local Motion Surf Shop

Chicago - Arista Recording Headquarters

Las Vegas - Palms Nightlclubs Promotions

Not sure on the others...Hell, not really sure on these, I don't actually watch MTV anymore!

Glen

MTV doesn't even play music anymore.

Its mostly just reality TV.

I miss the 80's MTV :(

I don't know much about Austin to tell you how its going to turn out. I'm just glad they are coming to Texas for a change.

Here's a little FYI:

Richard Linklatter (director of School of Rock) directed a MTV production and he's from Houston but lives in Austin and at one time he even thought of bringing "School of Rock" to either Houston, Dallas or Austin (mostly b/c of weather I think) but what I found cool is that he's originally FROM Houston and maybe he will be helping in some offway with MTV "Real World"-Austin! :)

Y'think?

Can anyone give me a background on Richard Linklatter if you can? I'm interested in knowing.

• 3 months later...

Has there ever been a non homosexual person from Houston on the Real World? That's not to bash anyone, but I really can't remember any straight person from Houston on any reality show except this past Survivor. Is that only a coincidense?

I'm REALLY happy for Austin, and this will be the city's wake up to the World. As said in the article, the last Real World (in San Diego) was the highest rated Real World ever. I think Austin will be great, so long as the producers forget all stereotypes, and showcase the TRUE lifestyle of Austin.

Lastly, I think the House should indeed be a mansion.

Guest Professional Hornblower

I think they should film it in Conroe. Real World Conroe just has a ring to it. Reminds me of the way I felt when I opened for Tina Turner back in '66. Boy did Ike WAIL on her that night. I mean, by golly!

Good show though. The bartender gave us free drinks that night because I did a superb rendition of my old friend Louie's "What a wonderful World".

Just my thoughts.

:)

• 6 months later...

I am mad! While watching The Real World tonight the housemates where interviewing a group that came to Austin for "South By Southwest." Well group said that one of the roommates "Lacy" said that Austin is the perfect place, the only problem is it is surounded by Texas. Now how stupid is that?

I am mad! While watching The Real World tonight the housemates where interviewing a group that came to Austin for "South By Southwest." Well group said that one of the roommates "Lacy" said that Austin is the perfect place, the only problem is it is surounded by Texas. Now how stupid is that?

Uhmm....you expected intelligent remarks from this show?

OH! L-a-c-e-y.

That changes everything.

BTW, thanks for the pic. Now I know I'm not missing anything. What is MTV's fascination with pasty white skinned chicks with bad haircuts, anyway? :o

She is the only one. 2 of the other girls look good!

there are two girls on there that are pretty good looking. i'll admit to watching a few episode since it was in a city i'm quite familiar with to see where they went and what they did. haven't been following though.

here's a girl MTV got right, not sure what she does but she's on the cover of maxim:

114-sum41MTVVJ.JPG

Archived