Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

You hear that Houston is booming more than any other city in America right now, but when you look around you see a lot of cities that seem to have more development going on then Houston (maybe Houston's is just spread out???).

And there you have it. You've finally hit the nail on the head.

Atlanta, the city you seem to love to compare Houston to, is only 132 square miles. While Houston is a bohemeth 599 square miles.

And there you have it. You've finally hit the nail on the head.

Atlanta, the city you seem to love to compare Houston to, is only 132 square miles. While Houston is a bohemeth 599 square miles.

Uh, I was referring to the recent devlopment not the city limits but okay.

Uh, I was referring to the recent devlopment not the city limits but okay.

You are contradicting yourself.. Earlier you seemed to finally understand that Houstons development was more spread out. Now you don't see what city limits have to do with anything? Doh..what's the furthest major district from downtown Atlanta? Buckhead is less than 8 miles..

The Woodlands is 30 miles from downtown..

Nobody is calling them ungrateful but apartments themselves don't bring street activity it's retail and bike/walking lanes and people willing to walk and bike.

Development doesn't happen in a vacuum they work in unison. Top retailers conduct studies before they choose to locate their "brand" in a particular location. They look at population the general area, and more inportantly the wealth of that general area. Regent Square, unfortunately, is located really close to the retail cluster on West Gray. This is a problem for them in getting retailers to put faith in another unproven cluster so far away. The developer has chosen to re-think their strategy and they are starting with some of the dense buildings first and then will work towards the master plan we saw in 2007.

They have a game plan and its to get the quality retail and restaurant component that they want.

Fot those of you who want a case study.....look at the history of Vintage Park in the Northwest/Tomball area. They were an unproven development ans had to settle for unknown 'mom and pop' type of shops and restaurants. Major retailers were not going to touch them until they proved themselves first.

Sounds like someone is in here simply to stir things up -.- I thought it was a genuine update and not someone arguing for the sake of arguing.

Sorry but if people can fawn for page after after page about spec renderings with no real update, I ought to be able to make known my displeasure towards a developer who made the best entrance into downtown look like crap by destroying fine, reasonably priced apartments. Sorry if that makes you angry.

• Like 2

Sorry but if people can fawn for page after after page about spec renderings with no real update, I ought to be able to make known my displeasure towards a developer who made the best entrance into downtown look like crap by destroying fine, reasonably priced apartments. Sorry if that makes you angry.

That's true they should've left the apartments up until the construction started. Those are probably the last affordable apartments in the hot areas of houston and they were producing rent.

Development doesn't happen in a vacuum they work in unison. Top retailers conduct studies before they choose to locate their "brand" in a particular location. They look at population the general area, and more inportantly the wealth of that general area. Regent Square, unfortunately, is located really close to the retail cluster on West Gray. This is a problem for them in getting retailers to put faith in another unproven cluster so far away. The developer has chosen to re-think their strategy and they are starting with some of the dense buildings first and then will work towards the master plan we saw in 2007.

They have a game plan and its to get the quality retail and restaurant component that they want.

Fot those of you who want a case study.....look at the history of Vintage Park in the Northwest/Tomball area. They were an unproven development ans had to settle for unknown 'mom and pop' type of shops and restaurants. Major retailers were not going to touch them until they proved themselves first.

My point is besides a few people walking their dogs it's as if nobody lives in that building looking from the outside in

Longer than that ...the developers have owned the Allen House since the 1980's. They definitely know how to play the waiting game.

I was curious about this so I checked it out... They (General Investment & Development Co.) bought the property in 1988.

I would guess that they did not acquire the property with imminent redevelopment in mind back in 1988. The buildings were only 14 years old then.

Interestingly, Allen House came to the same fate as Westcreek - just one building left at the end.

One thing that concerns me about the Westcreek redevelopment is that it is winding up being done piecemeal by different developers.  I hope it will turn out well in the end, but I think if one good developer (McMillan) had done more of it, it might have been done in a more cohesive manner.

I'm holding out hope that Regent Square will still be developed as part of a wider-scale vision by a single entity.  While I do like a lot of the quirky, hodgepodge development in much of Houston, its nice to also have some places that exhibit good design and a bit of comprehensive vision.

• Like 2

I was curious about this so I checked it out... They (General Investment & Development Co.) bought the property in 1988.

I would guess that they did not acquire the property with imminent redevelopment in mind back in 1988. The buildings were only 14 years old then.

Interestingly, Allen House came to the same fate as Westcreek - just one building left at the end.

There are a few buildings left still but not many.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a few buildings left still but not many.

I checked this out today. There is just one main apartment building left in Allen House. There's also some kind of townhomes maybe? But the parking lot was full. So I guess after the last Westcreek building falls, there will be two left.

But the one main building, by that I mean one of the large buildings, all of the same type that the same developers built in the late 60's/early 70's.

The original developers (or their successors/heirs) still own one building, which is some kind of seniors apartments named "The Georgian". http://hcad.org/records/recorddetails.asp?tab=&bld=1&card=1&taxyear=2014&acct=0410170010066

I checked this out today. There is just one main apartment building left in Allen House. There's also some kind of townhomes maybe? But the parking lot was full. So I guess after the last Westcreek building falls, there will be two left.

But the one main building, by that I mean one of the large buildings, all of the same type that the same developers built in the late 60's/early 70's.

The original developers (or their successors/heirs) still own one building, which is some kind of seniors apartments named "The Georgian". http://hcad.org/records/recorddetails.asp?tab=&bld=1&card=1&taxyear=2014&acct=0410170010066

There are two buildings left one is by sovereign it's smaller

• 2 weeks later...

For those worried about this project, here's a very very brief update on Regent Square (it's still moving forward and is under development):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKqDeU4fMqQ#t=668

Edit: What happened to embedding videos here?

Edit2:  So apparently you can't embed with a time attached...

Edited by Triton

Yes sir

If you have any evidence of this I'd love to hear it. I'm buying a house in the area and am very interested in news about Regent Square. Its hard to take them seriously after so many years of changing and canceled plans. Their own website's latest news is from 2007.

If you have any evidence of this I'd love to hear it. I'm buying a house in the area and am very interested in news about Regent Square. Its hard to take them seriously after so many years of changing and canceled plans. Their own website's latest news is from 2007.

I have no hard evidence.

Just going off some of the "soft(?)" evidence found and posted.

I just can't imagine this company would have held onto this land all these years (30+?) and not go through with it.

Plus, the location is just too good not to.

It may take 20+ years to build out but personally, I think it will all get done.

Here, I accidentally posted this in the Sovereign thread instead of here the other day:

I don't want to get the guy in trouble, but I found someone on linkedin that has been working with a company for the last five months and one of his responsibilities is leasing 400k of retail and restaurants for Regent Square.

In addition, I am spearheading the leasing of 400,000 square feet of shops and restaurants in GID's Regent Square development; Houston’s premier mixed-use development and its first truly pedestrian-oriented city district.

Also, as of August, the city of Houston still seems to be anticipating it.

page 75 & 76

http://www.houstontx...ation_Aug14.pdf

also

http://www.houstontx...WL_PCAction.pdf

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

I have no hard evidence.

Just going off some of the "soft(?)" evidence found and posted.

I just can't imagine this company would have held onto this land all these years (30+?) and not go through with it.

Plus, the location is just too good not to.

It may take 20+ years to build out but personally, I think it will all get done.

Here, I accidentally posted this in the Sovereign thread instead of here the other day:

I don't want to get the guy in trouble, but I found someone on linkedin that has been working with a company for the last five months and one of his responsibilities is leasing 400k of retail and restaurants for Regent Square.

In addition, I am spearheading the leasing of 400,000 square feet of shops and restaurants in GID's Regent Square development; Houston’s premier mixed-use development and its first truly pedestrian-oriented city district.

Also, as of August, the city of Houston still seems to be anticipating it.

page 75 & 76

http://www.houstontx...ation_Aug14.pdf

also

http://www.houstontx...WL_PCAction.pdf

Plus, Alamo Drafthouse has already signed a contract with them. AD needs this location.

• 1 month later...

Anything new on this project? Any new master plans, info...anything?

This project was literally weeks away from breaking ground back in 2008/2009 before the downturn and now I'm afraid this one might have missed the boom AGAIN.

Hopefully there are things in the works and it will start soon. The demolished Allen House lot (an all that revenue that could have been had) remains undeveloped for close to a decade now.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for kind of a non update. More of a report of hope. This is the one project I do research on despite a lack of news. 

Here is some information from linkedin pages of people who have worked on the project.

I dont know what they are waiting on but I dont think they went through all this trouble to not move forward...eventually.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=14311399&authType=OUT_OF_NETWORK&authToken=VaOB&locale=en_US&srchid=1707097241424922875344&srchindex=4&srchtotal=42&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1707097241424922875344%2CVSRPtargetId%3A14311399%2CVSRPcmpt%3AprimarySomeone is about to see their profile views shootup for no apparent reason.

Knudson facilitated the major thoroughfare and freeway plan (MTFP) amendment process through the City of Houston to change the classification of West Dallas and Dunlavy. Knudson successfully obtained development site plan and subdivision plat variances for reduced building lines along Allen Parkway, West Dallas, Dunlavy, Rochow, Tirrelll and Rosine streets, reduced visibility triangles and reduced right-of-way (ROW) requirements for unrestricted reserves. Knudson assisted Cobb Fendley with the abandonment of numerous sanitary sewer, storm sewer, utility and water easements through the joint referral process. Knudson facilitated over seventy (70) community and city meetings during the entitlement period of the project to solicit the support of the elected officials and neighborhood. Knudson was successful in obtaining two (2) development agreements with the City of Houston for public private partnership regarding public improvements. 

As Project Manager, I was responsible for joint referral efforts which include abandoning and dedicating utility easements, variance approval for subdivision platting recordation for the infill development and Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan amendment process through the City of Houston to change the classification of W Dallas and Dunlavy.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=224873082&authType=name&authToken=4qs3&locale=en_US&srchid=1707097241424922900990&srchindex=20&srchtotal=42&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1707097241424922900990%2CVSRPtargetId%3A224873082%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

Project Captain during the DD and CD phases of LEED designed Office Building A-3.1, one of 21 planned buildings for the Regent Square mix-use development in Houston, TX. 

We now know this is considered the "amenities building" per https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=48979573&authType=name&authToken=yZOC&locale=en_US&srchid=1707097241424922900990&srchindex=14&srchtotal=42&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1707097241424922900990%2CVSRPtargetId%3A48979573%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

6caac2ce-f98c-11e3-b95e-12313d275d6d-lar

The Morris Principal has this listed as his project from 2013 to current

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=46534525&authType=OUT_OF_NETWORK&authToken=NbEQ&locale=en_US&srchid=1707097241424923926721&srchindex=2&srchtotal=133&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1707097241424923926721%2CVSRPtargetId%3A46534525%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

Principal in Charge for planning, interior design and architectural design.

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 6

Sorry for kind of a non update. More of a report of hope. This is the one project I do research on despite a lack of news. 

Here is some information from linkedin pages of people who have worked on the project.

I dont know what they are waiting on but I dont think they went through all this trouble to not move forward...eventually.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=14311399&authType=OUT_OF_NETWORK&authToken=VaOB&locale=en_US&srchid=1707097241424922875344&srchindex=4&srchtotal=42&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1707097241424922875344%2CVSRPtargetId%3A14311399%2CVSRPcmpt%3AprimarySomeone is about to see their profile views shootup for no apparent reason.

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=224873082&authType=name&authToken=4qs3&locale=en_US&srchid=1707097241424922900990&srchindex=20&srchtotal=42&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1707097241424922900990%2CVSRPtargetId%3A224873082%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

We now know this is considered the "amenities building" per https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=48979573&authType=name&authToken=yZOC&locale=en_US&srchid=1707097241424922900990&srchindex=14&srchtotal=42&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1707097241424922900990%2CVSRPtargetId%3A48979573%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

6caac2ce-f98c-11e3-b95e-12313d275d6d-lar

The Morris Principal has this listed as his project from 2013 to current

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=46534525&authType=OUT_OF_NETWORK&authToken=NbEQ&locale=en_US&srchid=1707097241424923926721&srchindex=2&srchtotal=133&trk=vsrp_people_res_name&trkInfo=VSRPsearchId%3A1707097241424923926721%2CVSRPtargetId%3A46534525%2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

Get out of here with your "research". Here at HAIF we only deal with speculations, conjectures, and conspiracy theories! How dare you Lockmat!!!

• Like 1

http://swamplot.com/little-flags-are-flying-around-the-once-and-maybe-future-regent-square/2015-02-26/

REMEMBER WAY BACK in 2007, when excavators tore down portions of the Allen House Apartments in North Montrose to make way for GID Development’s massive mixed-use project known as Regent Square? Well, it’s okay if you don’t. Anyway, the thing hasn’t happened yet, though the nearby apartment tower thatopened last year called the Sovereign (seen in the background of the photo above), which wasn’t included the original plans, is now cited as Regent Square’sfirst phase. What of phases 2 and above? Swamplot reader Mike Bloom reports there’s evidence of recent action on the now empty lot at the corner of Dunlavy St. and Allen Pkwy., dating from the middle of last month: little pink flags on stakes — the kind typically used for surveys.

• Like 2

http://swamplot.com/little-flags-are-flying-around-the-once-and-maybe-future-regent-square/2015-02-26/

REMEMBER WAY BACK in 2007, when excavators tore down portions of the Allen House Apartments in North Montrose to make way for GID Development’s massive mixed-use project known as Regent Square? Well, it’s okay if you don’t. Anyway, the thing hasn’t happened yet, though the nearby apartment tower thatopened last year called the Sovereign (seen in the background of the photo above), which wasn’t included the original plans, is now cited as Regent Square’sfirst phase. What of phases 2 and above? Swamplot reader Mike Bloom reports there’s evidence of recent action on the now empty lot at the corner of Dunlavy St. and Allen Pkwy., dating from the middle of last month: little pink flags on stakes — the kind typically used for surveys.

Oh wow, I thought I had posted that in here. Yea, several weeks back there were stakes throughout the site there. A lot along the Dunlavy area. Guess they are still shooting for a Q1 to Q2 start range.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...