Happy Thanksgiving!

RedScare

It's nice that you mention "take in strays." I was a stray. When I lived in Houston every holiday there was always some family from work or the neighborhood or somewhere that invited me to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner because they knew I didn't have any family of my own left. I will always remember the hospitality of the people of Houston. In Chicago no one gives a crap about anyone else.

That said, my wife and I will spend the morning at the McDonald's Thanksgiving Parade (viewable nationwide on WGN America), get some coffee and sit in the park and canoodle for a while, come home to a dinner from Boston Market and a pumpkin pie that I'll make myself, and then watch James Bond movies all night.

Once we kick the family out and wash the dishes, we open up the bourbon and watch Sergio Leone movies.

I think this year may be the first one in a while where I won't have any strays at the table. I've been one before as well, so I know what you mean.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will be doing the family thing at my aunt's. since i don't bake well, i'm bringing apple, pecan, lemon merenge and pumpkin pies from a baker in the hood. i'm looking forward to that turkey sandwich with cranberry salad as dressing for leftovers.

will be doing the family thing at my aunt's. since i don't bake well, i'm bringing apple, pecan, lemon merenge and pumpkin pies from a baker in the hood. i'm looking forward to that turkey sandwich with cranberry salad as dressing for leftovers.

that's a lot of pies!

I don't bake at all. Baking's too exact. Not to mention I barely have the cabinet space for a crock pot, much less a damn stand mixer. I love those special homemade flaky crusts, but I'm never gonna make one! I think it's cool that editor makes his own pumpkin pie.

My perfect Thanksgivings and Christmases all happened in my 20s, when I was working a lot and not paying attention to the calendar, then one day all my regular restaurants are closed for some damned holiday. Driving for hours searching for a Chinese restaurant that stayed open one of those days became my tradition. Even if it wasn't the best food, the long search and fear of starvation made it extra special.

Mrs. Bag will have none of that. We're doing a big family deal at our house: her mom, my mom, her sister, her sister's partner, her sister's partner's mom, the Love Child, Mrs. Ex-Bag and the future Mr. Ex-Bag. We're heating up a big Kroger turkey in the new oven, she's making lots of pies and what-not, and I'm doing mac & cheese in my super-gay crock pot.

Re baking: Mrs. Bag goes into something akin to "pon farr" this time of year, only with pie & cake baking. That's really why I had to get the oven installed, otherwise the blood fever would have sent her into the lingering death.

that's a lot of pies!

I don't bake at all. Baking's too exact. Not to mention I barely have the cabinet space for a crock pot, much less a damn stand mixer. I love those special homemade flaky crusts, but I'm never gonna make one! I think it's cool that editor makes his own pumpkin pie.

well i'm not sure who's going. if all my mom's side of the family goes then it's 30 or so people. the baker guy is elderly and really enjoys doing this with his family. they'll probably sell about 300 of them. it's just too easy to pay him! even though he's from norway, he makes great hojarascas too.

In Baton Rouge, doing the family thing. Thanksgiving was always a bigger deal to my wife's family than mine, so we do it over there, about 30 people, this year we'll have 4 whole turkeys (2 smoked 2 fried), a turkey breast and of course way too many sides and other things. Then we head to my parents' for fish that night, and then Friday I'm smoking a pork butt for pulled pork as we watch LSU lose to the worst team in the SEC so that we can then become the worst team in the SEC.

And after all that, I'll go do my every-8-weeks blood donation so a lot of that new cholesterol becomes someone else's problem and I can start fresh by making me some new, clean blood.

Skipping the big family get-together this year in Spring. Like Red, I also have five brothers and sisters, and we truly put the fun in dysfunctional when we all get together in one house!

But, this year, my daughter is a freshman at U.T. and we will be driving up to see her, and to go watch the Longhorns beat up on the poor Aggies in DKR Stadium. That should be a fun day!

On Saturday, my local favorites, the Klein Oak Panthers are entering the third round of high school football play-offs in the Division 2, 5A tournament against Lake Highlands at "The Palace" in Round Rock, another great day of football!

I'll be praying for good driving weather and two wins this weekend for the Longhorns and the Panthers!

Hope everyone here at the HAIF has a nice time too this weekend and everyone stays safe. Thanks, Editor, one more time, for this forum. You have provided an immeasurable service to the Houston area and for that, I am forever indebted to you. :)

It will be me, the wife, the girls, my Mom, my Aunt, and a good buddy of mine that is like family. For the eats, we got a 15lb'r that Mrs. Palin might have had a hand in, and of course all the other fixins', specialty cream pies, a pumpkin and a chocolate, made by the Ladies Auxilary of Apostolic Praise Center here in Austin. I don't know about their religion, but they sure know about PIES ! They are a great group of women though, they drive around in an deep freezed minivan, with delivery to your doorstep. My wife is making her famous Spinach/Artichoke dip for starters though. I'm DYING, waiting for it.

TJ-

Do you have their number? I need to pick up some pies on my way into Austin tomorrow! :)

As a matter of fact......512-989-3030. They have a huge variety, but they may be limited on what they are actually producing this time of year. I am pretty sure they have Chocolate, Pumpkin, Coconut, Banana, Pecan. They have a few more varieties. Just call'em, they should be able to set you up. You are in for a special treat, and you can thank me later.

Thanks so much, TJ!

I just called and spoke to Lisa. Here's what they have left to sell:

Chocolate

Coconut

Lemon

Banana

Butter Pecan

Strawberry Banana

Pumpkin

Chocolate Peanut Butter

Chocolate Banana

Chocolate Strawberry

Chocolate Cherry

Apple Cinnamon

Cherry Banana

Orange Pineapple

Blueberry Banana

Georgia Peanut Butter

All cream pies, all $14.00 each, all delivered to your door, what a deal! Now if I can just decide...

Thanks so much, TJ!

All cream pies, all $14.00 each, all delivered to your door, what a deal! Now if I can just decide...

No sweat , anytime, you're welcome. Deciding IS the hard part, can't go wrong with the Chocolate. I have had the Pumpkin, not a fan of Pumpkin to start with, sooooo... I have also had the Pecan, and the Coconut, and Banana, oh, and the Cherry. I may go with Lemon this year and a Chocolate and Coconut, all winners !

Oh boy, going to my fathers crazy Mormon clan (about 30-40) for TurkeyDay.... I dread it, yet at the same time crave my grandmothers food (and Pecan Pie).

It always starts with a 20minute prayer (I know..) (Can't wait for a Prop 8 remark)

Then 3pm Thanksgiving Dinner

Then Football the rest of the day

Oh Pineda, BTW. It ain't Cool Whip on top either. We are talking REAL cream pie. The most delicious I have ever had. They sell'em all year round too, not just the holidays. It is murder for me to NOT order at any other time of year, and they are evil, in the regard that they drive to all the Auto Dealerships around Austin, because they know we are suckers if we have $20 in our pockets, and try to sell their homebaked goodness. EVIL I tell you !!! ;):lol:

Seems that buying a package deal is very popular.

ABC 13 had a segment on where to get the best bargains. Kroger was the best one they said. But then again there's nothing like moms cooking.

This will make you want to reach into the screen and grab a wing! :P

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=6515054

Staying away from the grocery store & after Thanksgiving day sale mobs...those HEB people (customers) were downright rude yesterday. Hopefully, I'll get to see the new James Bond movie this weekend.

Seems that buying a package deal is very popular.

ABC 13 had a segment on where to get the best bargains. Kroger was the best one they said. But then again there's nothing like moms cooking.

This will make you want to reach into the screen and grab a wing! :P

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=6515054

I've had nothing but bad luck with supermarket Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter packages. Over the years I've tried them all -- Kroger, Safeway, Albertson's, Randall's, Dominic's, A&P, Pathmark, Shop Rite, Whole Foods, Cub, Potash, etc... None of them were any good. Bland, dry, or worse. From my memory Kroger was the worst of the bunch. I tried it in Ohio, West Virginia, and Texas and it was awful in all three places. I thought it might be a regional problem, but no.

As I mentioned above, I'm going Boston Market this year (just picked it up!) and if it's half as good as a regular Boston Market meal it will be better than I've had from any grocery store.

Edit:

On second though, if I had the chance I'd try Central Market. I won't lump CM in with the others mentioned above because the quality of its other goods is very good.

I've had nothing but bad luck with supermarket Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter packages. Over the years I've tried them all -- Kroger, Safeway, Albertson's, Randall's, Dominic's, A&P, Pathmark, Shop Rite, Whole Foods, Cub, Potash, etc... None of them were any good. Bland, dry, or worse. From my memory Kroger was the worst of the bunch. I tried it in Ohio, West Virginia, and Texas and it was awful in all three places. I thought it might be a regional problem, but no.

I've never done the package deal, but we've done the Kroger cooked turkey (Butterball) for the last several years and it's been really good.

I've never done the package deal, but we've done the Kroger cooked turkey (Butterball) for the last several years and it's been really good.

I always had doubts about the package deals. Like Ed said they were the worse.

What is even scarier is when a relative swears up and down that they make the best ever. :mellow: Once every tries it, its blah!

Last year my brother brought one he swore he knew how to cook. It was so damned salty and DRY you couldnt even chew it. Like chewing on leather. When it was time for everyone to wrap up and take leftovers there it sat alone in the corner. :lol:

Archived