Good Vietnamese restaurants in Midtown

So it's not just me. Others also have noticed that Mai's Restaurant on Milam has really gone downhill. I've eaten there for many years, and to my sorrow the service has become sloppy and blatantly rude, and the food has taken a dive. Used to be such a nice place, too. :(

I need to find a Vietnamese restaurant nearby to take its place - nothing fancy, just good food at a reasonable price, and without the damn attitude. Help me out, HAIFers.

Mai's went downhill in the 90's kind of like Kim Son.

Van Loc on Milam is pretty consistent. A Vietnamese friend took me about 10 yrs ago my first time. Several of the restaurants in this area have changed hands but kept the old name. For instance, Les Givral's sold the restaurant to a new owner.

Two Thursday nights ago I walked out of Van Loc. Dirty bad service, and I have been going there for years.

So then we drove over to Mai's. We walked out. Dirty bad service and no Tsing Tao!

Les Givral's isn't much better. The place on Pease is best for banh mi. Tiem Hung? The couple who run it are great and it's got that Saigon feel to it.

i have had so-so food at mai's lately (service seems to be the same, but the food is...different).

van loc needs a good lysol-ing

i have an affinity for jimmy wok on holcombe (only a few vietnamese dishes, and a little farther south, but i have always been pleased with the food, prices and service).

Guest Sebastian De La Ghetto

Iv'e always enjoyed pho saigon on milam, also there is a good knock off kim son in the warehouse district on Hutchins, but i cant remember the name...

I've heard Le Bec Fin on Milam is good, but I've never been there myself. I think Les Givrals is fine, and cheap to boot. I have to disagree about Mais. I don't think they've really gone downhill. Let's face it, their service has never been that great, but the food seems the same as always (at least since I ate there yesterday).

I've never had a bad experience at Mai's, the food is always good and I don't have a problem with the staff. On the other hand, the last time (final time) I went to Van Loc the place reeked of magnolia air freshener which made me queasy and the food was just not that good.

• 7 months later...
So it's not just me. Others also have noticed that Mai's Restaurant on Milam has really gone downhill. I've eaten there for many years, and to my sorrow the service has become sloppy and blatantly rude, and the food has taken a dive. Used to be such a nice place, too. :(

I need to find a Vietnamese restaurant nearby to take its place - nothing fancy, just good food at a reasonable price, and without the damn attitude. Help me out, HAIFers.

The last three times I have been to Mais there have been panhandlers in the parking lot. The other night we were hit up by three people. You would think Mais would make an effort to chase them out.

The last three times I have been to Mais there have been panhandlers in the parking lot. The other night we were hit up by three people. You would think Mais would make an effort to chase them out.

You should have broke out the old numchucks and do some crouching Tiger, hidden dragon on their ... :lol:

Not in Midtown, but used to be.. Vietnam Restaurant, now in the Heights.. not bad. We were regulars when it was in Midtown

I've never been much for Vietnamese food. Soups are normally quite good though. Theres a place next to the Food Store/Shopping Center on St Emanuel in old Chinatown that serves up soup so good you could grow an extra limb.

Seperately,

I just crumble over Chinese Food though. That is unless old Marvin Zindler hits the joint after I walked out the door which is the usual scenario. :(:lol:

I have not been to the new Montrose location but Hollywood Vietnamese on Grant was always a spot for consistent good food and quick, friendly service.

I have heard that the new spot has more "Vietnamese French" on the menu, but I really liked the more pedestrian dishes like the "Bun" vermacelli bowl with b-b-q pork and lettuce wrapped Vietnamese egg rolls. Their mint, cilantro and lettuce were always so crisp...yummmmmm. Top it off with a "33" Export... a very nice summer dinner for less than $15. I hope the new location is as inexpensive and good..Anyone tried it?

Second that. Great prices too.

Third. We've eaten at Cali's two or three times a week for ~three years.

We started going here after Mai's passed the point of no return (bad service, cold food) in ~2004. I ate at Mai's two or three times a week for several years before that, probably since I was 16 or 17 (~2000). I took my gf to Mai's on our first date in 2002. I am VERY loyal to restaurants I like. It takes many, many bad consecutive experiences to put me off a place permanently.

Anyway, Cali's is fantastic. It's not the highest in haute cuisine, but it's a good filling meal at a reasonable price. Great downtown view as well.

I like the salt toasted tofu, the chicken pho, the imperial rolls, the shredded chicken banh mi, and the beef brisket stew. My gf likes the same, with the addition of the garlic beef.

Edited by woolie

i've enjoyed hollywood and van loc. i think i'd like to try cali's.

van loc, although with occasionally bad service and a dirty floor, has consistently GREAT bo luc lac, salted shrimp and vietnamese rolls. i've never been disappointed with the food. one thing i've learned......they don't mind if you come up to the counter if you need something. they won't apologize for anything, but they will bring you what you want. ;)

i miss vietnam kitchen on main and elgin. i had my first vietnamese food there and have been hooked ever since. someone mentioned they were in the heights now. i'll have to check that out.

i miss vietnam kitchen on main and elgin. i had my first vietnamese food there and have been hooked ever since. someone mentioned they were in the heights now. i'll have to check that out.

We used to go there too! When they were on Main & Elgin. Someone mentionend the vermicelli soup and bbq pork, very delicious and the bowl is so huge you cant even finish it!

If you are sick eat this and you will be a new person!

The place I mentioned over on St Emanuel in old Chinatown still makes it. In the grocery store shopping center!

i've enjoyed hollywood and van loc. i think i'd like to try cali's.

van loc, although with occasionally bad service and a dirty floor, has consistently GREAT bo luc lac, salted shrimp and vietnamese rolls. i've never been disappointed with the food. one thing i've learned......they don't mind if you come up to the counter if you need something. they won't apologize for anything, but they will bring you what you want. ;)

I haven't been to Cali in a long time, but when I used to work downtown (until 2001), it was a favorite lunch spot.

I really miss Lido, at Travis and Elgin - they had to leave when the strip center they were leasing space in was bulldozed, and although I kept hearing rumors that they were going to reopen somewhere else, I don't think that ever happened. Although I like the bo luc lac at Van Loc, Lido's version was the gold standard for me.

Another long-gone fave was To Chau in Chinatown - I think that what remains of their sign, painted on the bricks of the building they were in, is still visible from the northbound lanes of 59.

Panhandlres are everywhere. Just ignore them.

How was the food?

I pretty much gave up on Midtown Viet food last year.

The only thing I get now are banh mi and spring rolls at Theim Hung (sp?) behind Kim Son.

Yeah, you're right. It's nothing to get bent out of shape about. And the food was fine. I do want to check out Calis though. I've also had some nice meals at Les Givrals.