The Beatles By David Adickes

Anybody know whats going to happen at the 10-8 junction on the other side of Town & Country? There are two huge ditches now on either side. Will the Texas Mount Rushmore be in one of those?

These are detention basins that collect runoff from the freeway.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of all things, the BEATLES??

You'd figure he'd put up statues of Jim Bowie, Sam Houston, Travis, or someone else that has a direct connection to Houston or at least, Texas.

Did you see the second part of her post Ricco ?

What we need is a Texas Rock and Roll Legends Statue. Stevie Ray Vaughn, yeah, I know about the one on Town Lake. Janis Joplin, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison. C'mon Adickes.

A ZZ Top statue would be PERFECT along I-10. Those beards alone should be enough to make him want to stop doing sculptures.

zz%20top_037.jpg

What we need is a Texas Rock and Roll Legends Statue. Stevie Ray Vaughn, yeah, I know about the one on Town Lake. Janis Joplin, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison. C'mon Adickes.

I like your idea TJ but I think it should be someone like Billy Preston (5th Beatle). He was born and raised here and is very respected in the musicians community.

Damn it, I'm still showing bias for the boys. I'm guess I'm just excited. :D

I like your idea TJ but I think it should be someone like Billy Preston (5th Beatle). He was born and raised here and is very respected in the musicians community.

Damn it, I'm still showing bias for the boys. I'm guess I'm just excited. :D

But at least you made the Houston connection.

That pretty much took all the air out of my argument.

:blush:

A ZZ Top statue would be PERFECT along I-10. Those beards alone should be enough to make him want to stop doing sculptures.

zz%20top_037.jpg

TJ, I didn't let your post download all the way and didn't see the ZZ idea. I think ZZ would be great but I'd like to see it downtown.

Oh and it must be in bronze.

You know I was thinking and forgot about another Beatle connection to Houston besides Billy Preston.

Ringo Star was a huge Lightning Hopkins fan and had decided to move to Houston to be near him. he had his plane ticket and was ready to come over, however something (I can't remember) happened that stopped the move.

You know I was thinking and forgot about another Beatle connection to Houston besides Billy Preston.

Ringo Star was a huge Lightning Hopkins fan and had decided to move to Houston to be near him. he had his plane ticket and was ready to come over, however something (I can't remember) happened that stopped the move.

found this, but not sure about credibility:

http://web2.airmail.net/gshultz/bio1.html

Ringo made up his mind to immigrate to Texas opting for a factory job in Houston, but the complicated immigration forms put him off.

found this, but not sure about credibility:

http://web2.airmail.net/gshultz/bio1.html

Ringo made up his mind to immigrate to Texas opting for a factory job in Houston, but the complicated immigration forms put him off.

That's what it was. I remember now that his intention was to come play with Hopkins but he had problems getting over due to the above.

Here's a Chronicle link of the famous 1965 barricade breakthrough at Hobby airport.

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/spe...on/landing.html

Welcome to the forum, David. Now, stop crapping all over Houston with this "art".
this is an awesome gift to the city.. btw addicks also started the infamous "love street light circus" where billy gibbons, snuffy walden, roky erickson, red karolla and many more played...

i would like to know what contributions you have made to our city....

Guest danax

It would be a good spot, especially since Billy Gibbons eats often at Cyclone Anaya's across the freeway.

I agree with sevfiv on the kitsch factor. Houston itself is kitsch.

The real problem with that location is that it'll likely end up as an irresistible grafitti magnet.

It would be a good spot, especially since Billy Gibbons eats often at Cyclone Anaya's across the freeway.

Is there another Cyclone's that I don't know about? I thought the only one was on Woodway.

Does Yoko know about this?

Shhhhhh! If she finds out, she'll be asking for Royalties.

Is there another Cyclone's that I don't know about? I thought the only one was on Woodway.
on shepherd btw washington and I-10
This David Addicks guy has been littering the highways around here for years. Could somebody please buy him a ticket to Dallas and put him out of our misery?
sure lets put up another billboard advertising rolex or insurance.....

• 10 months later...
Guest danax

4yjtjbs.jpg

The Beatles statues are now up at Sculpturworx on Summer Street near Sawyer in west Houston and they were created by a man who's left his mark on other parts of southeast Texas. Article link

Isn't Sculpturworx where the presidential heads were? I guess they'll be moved to a permanent location then at some point.

I like these. Houston's quirkiness quotient continues to rise. :)

The Beatles statues are now up at Sculpturworx on Summer Street near Sawyer in west Houston and they were created by a man who's left his mark on other parts of southeast Texas. Article link

Isn't Sculpturworx where the presidential heads were? I guess they'll be moved to a permanent location then at some point.

I like these. Houston's quirky quotient continues to rise. :)

Was on KHOU 11 this morning. Love it! Best news I've seen/heard in years in Houston. Can't recall where it was being permenently placed Penny Lane or Abbey Road? Who cares it's for all of us right here in Houston. One of them looks a little too much like Yoko. Oh no not again!

All we need is love! :D

Chron article says I-10/Shepherd on the south side for about 10yrs, then off to the Rock n Roll hall of fame. I like these a lot, it will reinforce the artistic side of the heights area. I hope they stay.

Was on KHOU 11 this morning. Love it! Best news I've seen/heard in years in Houston. Can't recall where it was being permenently placed Penny Lane or Abbey Road? Who cares it's for all of us right here in Houston. One of them looks a little too much like Yoko. Oh no not again!

All we need is love! :D

You probably couldn't tell that I'm a HUGE Beatles fan from my avatar.

Houston does have connections with the Beatles, so it's not that crazy to have these here instead of New York. Billy Preston (the fifth Beatle) is from Houston, and George Harrison had a plane ticket to Houston, and an apartment set up as he was a big fan of Lightning Hopkins, and wanted to come play with him. Of course his full time band hit it big and he decided against it.

You probably couldn't tell that I'm a HUGE Beatles fan from my avatar.

Houston does have connections with the Beatles, so it's not that crazy to have these here instead of New York. Billy Preston (the fifth Beatle) is from Houston, and George Harrison had a plane ticket to Houston, and an apartment set up as he was a big fan of Lightning Hopkins, and wanted to come play with him. Of course his full time band hit it big and he decided against it.

I was just going to say, John and George would be very happy. I still remember the day John was snuffed out and the huge crowd that gathered at hippie hill (I still call it that) or rather Miller Outdoor (boring). Still have Chron news articles 1980. The last positive thing that happended in reference to The Fab 4 was when Beatlemania toured through Houston at The Music Hall around 1982. That was a blast it was as if they were the real thing! Let's get ready to let down our long hair and get out our tamborines for the commemoration and celebration event! Like when they opened the Apple Boutique. :P

At first I was a little apprehensive hearing the news, even though I'm a huge Beatles fan. After seeing that they actually have some artistic style instead of just being real looking statues makes them so much more appealing. I think Houston needs more crazy artists to bring their energy to the city

At first I was a little apprehensive hearing the news, even though I'm a huge Beatles fan. After seeing that they actually have some artistic style instead of just being real looking statues makes them so much more appealing. I think Houston needs more crazy artists to bring their energy to the city

I went by Adickes studio on Saturday and the place was packed. The statues were amazing for plaster work, and looked much larger than the 36' advertised. The only thing I found disturbing is that john is on stage right when he ALWAYS played stage left.

Archived